What have you given up so far?

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, I've already given up deli meat (unless heated but blegh) and I contemplated getting one martini last night at the melting pot but decided I'd skip it (I'm not a huge drinker and that's the *only* drink I get when I go out but one martini would have me buzzed so I decided I didn't want to though I still don't think one drink would hurt the baby). I'm still having my coffee in the morning until it starts making me sick though- I only drink about half a cup and I am occasionally having soda but again not much.

What are you ditching for the little bean?
August 22nd, 2013, 07:25 AM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've given up coffee since we started our cycle with our RE. I will very occasionally have a cup on the weekends but that's it.
I am heating my lunch meat since the doc reminded me about it, but I'll stop that after the first trimester is done.
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

August 22nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Everything.... lol I am a diabetic and was not eating all the right foods so I am eating little or no carbs or sugars and I quit drinking diet sodas. So now it is only water or milk to drink and basically meat and veggies for meals . But it will all be worth it for my little baby.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
August 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvgreen19 View Post
I've given up coffee since we started our cycle with our RE. I will very occasionally have a cup on the weekends but that's it.
I am heating my lunch meat since the doc reminded me about it, but I'll stop that after the first trimester is done.

Why do you only give up lunch meats until after the first trimester? I feel like I *should* give up coffee but since I feel like I'm just moments away from puking at even the smell, I might as well enjoy it while I can.

And, being diabetic would suck. I am pretty good about portion control but I eat my fair share of sugar lol
Blue Eyes 409 likes this.
August 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I gave up wine/margaritas. Which is sad because I always crave margaritas when pregnant even though I don't actually drink that often when I'm not pregnant, it's like a joke my body plays on me.

I usually have one can of coke a day but that's it. Not really because I'm pregnant but because I don't want all the extra calories but I just love real coke.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
August 22nd, 2013, 09:02 AM
Super Mommy
No soda, no alcohol, no coffee, no tea, no deli meats, no artificial sweeteners...

Basically nothing fun

This is my first baby, and I haven't been to the doctor yet. I'm hopeful hearing it from an expert instead of dr. google will ease my restrictions and give me back my 3:00 caffeine option!
August 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just coffee. The smell alone makes me ill.
And no hot dogs. I'm not really sure but the deli meat thing still? Why aren't we supposed to eat it? I ate it with all my past pregnancies and no issues. I don't eat Subway sandwiches or deli meat out at restaurants but I will eat it at home. I'm not really able to stomach it right now anyhow but I guess I never understood why it was bad. :/ meat alone makes my stomach turn. I also seem to have given up sleep lol. I have horrible insomnia, does this count?
LuvsGavinNJamie likes this.
August 22nd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Super Mommy
I'm a HUGE soda drinker. So I used to drink several sodas a day, so I'm limiting myself to 1 a day. I have on occasion fallen off the band wagon and have 2, but that's only happened twice!!

Otherwise, my eating habits were fairly decent before hand, so haven't had to give up too much!!

I've had extreme morning sickness the past 4 days, so I haven't eaten much but crackers but that's only because it's the only thing I can eat that doesn't come up!

August 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Nothing. lol. I drink coffee still, just one cup and I sweeten with dextrose, which is safe in small quantities. I will have the occasional glass of wine, as I did with my last two. I will still eat hot dogs, just the nitrate free ones, and I never ate deli meat or bacon before, and I don't drink soda ever. So, sushi might be the only thing I will have to give up!
MaggieLizer likes this.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

August 22nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
Why do you only give up lunch meats until after the first trimester? I feel like I *should* give up coffee but since I feel like I'm just moments away from puking at even the smell, I might as well enjoy it while I can.

And, being diabetic would suck. I am pretty good about portion control but I eat my fair share of sugar lol
This is all opnion but to me first trimester is when things are most at risk. After I am past 14 weeks I feel much more comfortable with things. The risk of deli meat is some bacteria called Listeria, but everything I have read says the risk is very small. And I can't imagine trying to eat healthy all pregnancy and not having the option of a turkey sandwich!
MKnaomi likes this.
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

August 22nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was an occasional smoker (a couple/week) over this past summer so I might have had one or two last ones after I found out. I needed/was planning to quit anyway.

I have given up caffeine for the most part but will probably have it on occasion in the form of coffee or tea.

Not drinking alcohol anymore, of course. I will avoid raw sushi but will probably still eat lots of the cooked/veggie kind. And I would like to cut back on sweets and processed foods, which is something I needed to do anyway.
MommaLove13 likes this.

August 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I didn't plan to give up coffee, but starting the last 2 days, I can't even stomach the smell of it. It is ok in low doses based on the research I've done. But if its the same as my last pregnancy, I won't be interested in it until I give birth.

I gave up alcohol...I don't drink that much but I enjoy a rum and coke from time to time

I have already had sushi but stuck to cooked/veggie kinds and didn't eat boatloads from a mercury standpoint. I always heat up my deli meat just because I prefer it that way so I still eat it (as long as it gets to 160 degrees, it will kill any listeria which is super low-risk anyways). I am having a small glass of coke a day since it seems to settle my stomach right now. I also highlight my hair every 3 months...it just works out that time it won't happen during the first trimester, but I'd be ok with doing it.

If there is something you don't want to give up, do your research and talk to your health care provider. There may be a small modification you can make to still safely (and guilt-free) have it.
MKnaomi likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 22nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
I rarely drink alcohol. So it will be easy to not touch a drop while pregnant.
I drastically reduced my intake of pop (or soda as most of you call it).
I gave up a lot of sugary candy treats.

June 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
July 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
October 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

After 15 long years, and many losses, our miracle is here!
Xavier arrived 8 weeks early on February 9th, 2014 <3

Follow me to my Blog at http://islandangel.blog.com
August 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had already given up alcohol and caffeine due to fertility treatments. So, I haven't started back up. Last night I wanted sushi SO badly. It was all I wanted. But, I decided against it because basically everything at my favorite sushi place has roe in it, at least.

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

August 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
I too haven't given up anything. I don't drink coffee often and I only have one non caffeinated soda a day if at all. I'm not a fan of deli meat or hot dogs.
August 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
JackieV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The lunch meat question:

Fresh deli meat should be avoided because of the possibility of being contaminated with Listeria while being handled. Yes, it is very rare to get. However, if you do come in contact with it, it is EXTREMELY dangerous. It is the one pathogenic bacteria that will get direct access to our babies and will most likely cause miscarriage and can even cause infertility. Of course, that is very extreme, intense example. Even salmonella and E. coli will make mom sick, but not get to baby. All of this has been very significant to me as I work in a food microbiology lab and I could potentially come into contact with it on daily basis....

That being said, packaged meat is safer because it has to be tested and come back negative for listeria after being sliced and packaged, before being distributed, according to the USDA. (Not sure about Canada food regulations, just the states) So, the packaged lunch meat is the best option, if it is something you do not want to give up. I hope this helps!

I have not. I still eat it once on awhile. I still drink caffeine. My OB said one drink a day is acceptable. And McDonald's sweet tea is the least amount of caffeine...yay! Sorry, that's my vice :/ of course, alcohol is out an apparently any physical labor, no matter how minor, as my husband won't let me touch anything...
August 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell_Mom4 View Post
Just coffee. The smell alone makes me ill.
And no hot dogs. I'm not really sure but the deli meat thing still? Why aren't we supposed to eat it? I ate it with all my past pregnancies and no issues. I don't eat Subway sandwiches or deli meat out at restaurants but I will eat it at home. I'm not really able to stomach it right now anyhow but I guess I never understood why it was bad. :/ meat alone makes my stomach turn. I also seem to have given up sleep lol. I have horrible insomnia, does this count?

The risk of getting listeriosis from deli meat is VERY low. If we gave up all foods that could potentially carry listeria we'd have to cut out all sorts of fruit and veggies. It's a cautionary thing women are told to do but honestly in this day and age isn't necessary. The prepackaged deli meat is the safest if you're really worried, deli meat in an actual deli or at Subway are the riskiest since they are possibly exposted to higher temps than required. I've eaten deli meat and even at Subway with all 3 of my pregnancies. Heck, in all my years of eating deli meat I've never had listeriosis so I'm really not worried about getting it while pregnant. The odds are extremely low. Do what you're comfortable with.

Now I did have food poisoning with my second pregnancy, during the second trimester, that was totally awesome . . . NOT! All thanks to a margherita pizza I had.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
August 22nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_baby View Post

Now I did have food poisoning with my second pregnancy, during the second trimester, that was totally awesome . . . NOT! All thanks to a margherita pizza I had.

heh.....incoming TMI........

I was 8 months pregnant with my last when I got food poisoning. While it was awful, awful, awful, I ended up getting the worst stomach bug of my life about a year after DS was born. When I was sick THAT time, I realized how much easier it was to vomit when you are pregnant, I think because the stomach is ....in closer .....proximity to the exit lane.

August 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
Anywho, notwithstanding the very, very low listeriosis risk, deli meats also contain nitrates which should be limited for pregnant women, as should processed foods in general (not just for pregnant women). So, like anything else, moderation or limiting would probably be the best practice.
Danielle.W likes this.

August 22nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
I just figure if I want a sandwich I'll get it toasted- the only time I don't is at panera and of course I've been craving a cold turkey sandwich I've never given it up in previous pregnancies but eh...I like to start out thinking I might what I really need to give up is the raw milk I drink...but I probably won't need to give it up so much as I won't want milk (or anything ingestible for the next 5 months ...oh and I know raw milk is a touchy subject so no debate- I've done my research and I'm comfortable with it non-pregnant...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search