BTDT moms: What are your stretch mark remedies?

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kemper2.0
  • 1 Post By Gray_baby
  • 1 Post By katiep726

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2013, 09:52 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my son I started putting Palmer's lotion for stretch marks on 2 times a day starting at about 12 weeks. Around 15 weeks I also started using 'Tummy Butter' after getting out of the bathtub or shower. I managed to get away with two tiny stretch marks on my belly- one at my belly button piercing site and one by my hipbone. Unfortunately I never bothered putting lotion or cream on my hips and thighs so the damage is more considerable there. lol

Do you have any tips or tricks that worked for you?

September 14th, 2013, 04:56 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No such thing If it's in your genes, it will happen... no matter what you do!!
MKnaomi likes this.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

September 14th, 2013, 05:52 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Yeah, if something seems to work, it probably means you just have good genes! I applied Palmer's stretch mark cream, but my stretch marks are so extensive that it looks like I was disected by a tiger, lol. I also gained a normal amount of weight, so I don't think that contributed. My mom got super bad stretch marks, so I knew my genes were against me. I'm jealous of you!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
September 14th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I tried to prevent them with my first 2, but nothing helped, still got them.

September 14th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't necessarily agree with the gene thing. Both my mom and sister (and just about every other woman in my family) have them all over their tummies. I didn't get ANY with either of my pregnancies. Some people have more elasticity in their skin, which I assume may be genetic or just luck.
RandE likes this.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
September 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I think genetics can play a part, but also how fast you gain the weight. I never had any stretch marks my entire life. I gained 44lbs (out of 50 total) in the 2nd half of my pregnancy last time, and didn't get any until the last 3 weeks (I went to term). My mom had 5 children and gained 25lbs evenly over the 40 weeks each time and no stretch marks - my grandmothers on both sides have no stretch marks and they each had 4 children.

They have SIGNIFICANTLY faded and its only been 13 months, and no where near as noticeable...I used bio oil after DS was born, just lots of lotion with vitamin e in it while pregnant.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
September 14th, 2013, 06:44 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I know the lotion worked. lol based on a few things: 1- my family is prone to horrible horrible stretchmarks. Deep purple ones and I only got 2 small faint ones. 2- the areas I neglected got hit pretty hard. haha

But I was religious with it and I think I even started using it 3-4 times a day toward the end. Just looking for a conversation starter and for some ideas for FTMs to try out.

September 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started using palmers stretch mark cream when TTC DS and used it throughout my pregnancy. I also bought some cocoa butter sticks and would use those at night sometimes. I got really lucky and didn't have a single stretch mark. I was really surprised because I already had some on my boobs just from whn I was a preteen. My mom never got any stretch marks tho so maybe it is genetic? Who knows but I'm very grateful and hope to get that lucky a second time!!
RandE likes this.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
September 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Super Mommy
I didn't get many, NONE on my tummy which I'm pleased about a few on my chest and butt/thighs. I used a bunch of different types religiously with my first, and never remembered at all with my second same results both times and my mom never got many. I don't really see how it could prevent them as they seem to come from 'under' the skin if that makes any sense, but I do think they help tons to fade stretch marks later, once you have them, and make the purple go away. Also, in a first pregnancy the creams sure feel nice on an itchy belly I didn't like the bio oil although I used it every day with my first, so oily, I like creams better.
September 16th, 2013, 10:35 PM
LuvsGavinNJamie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There's this friend of mine on Facebook who mentioned (in chat) a cream or something that's supposed to help prevent and/or repair stretch marks. She sells what's called skinny wraps, which are supposed to help firm up areas where your skin is loose for various reasons, of course the major one being past weight changes. I didn't take much interest because I thought she sounded just a little pushy and I realistically don't care much about the stretch marks because I don't plan on wearing a revealing top or shorts that show my hips at that area, plus my skin's got some shrinking to do. (I knew I would have an oops pregnancy if I made progress and lost a few lbs. *rolls eyes*)

Abyway, it may set off more salesmanship but I'll try to find out what it is and how much and whether it is pg safe.

September 16th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Super Mommy
As for loose skin, I know someone who SWEARS by binding the belly post partum. I don't know much about it, apparently they do it in Africa, and used to do it routinely in the olden days, anyway, she said her baby belly shrunk dramatically by I guess just wrapping herself in a cloth? so that skin wrap thing might work.
September 17th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Duffy510's Avatar Super Mommy
I was just reading an article the other day saying that stretch mark creams are another of those industries selling a remedy that doesn't necessarily work. The creams do help with the itching of stretching skin. But from what I read, stretch marks and lose skin are just a part of pregnancy. If you are young, physically fit or have naturally stretchier skin you are less likely to get them. Lucky you lol.

I also read that natural remedies are eating healthily, not gaining weight quickly (if you can help it) and regular exercise. I wish I could find the article again.

September 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did nothing with my first son, and managed to get no stretch marks. I can’t remember what I used with my second, but I think it was Palmers…and ended up looking like a tiger with deep purple stretch marks all over my belly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search