Baby Names!

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2013, 08:19 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it is still very early and none of us know the gender yet, but inevitably most of us have been thinking of baby names. Does anyone have any names they'd like to share?
I have been thinking of names a lot lately because baby naming is one of my least favorite things to do (ever) and with my daughter it took until she was born to nail down a name for her (and I still don't LOVE it ). So this time I want a head start! Now, without further ado... here are our names as of right now.

Boy: Theodore "Bear" Holt Lastname starts with H.
I was reading on Nameberry the other day and someone suggested the name Theodore with the nickname of 'Bear' because Theodore=Teddy Teddy=Bear. I understand that is a stretch, but I ADORE the name Bear, but could never make that his official name (college applications, what if he's a judge one day, etc.) So, Theodore it is!

Girl: River Anetha. I hate naming girls. Hate hate hate it. River is a name we've had in mind for the past few years. When I was pregnant with my daughter she didn't "feel" like a River to me. Instead she felt like some delicate, princess-y name (if that makes sense) and my goodness was I right!! She is a girly girl to the max so River definitely was not the name for her. Anetha is a family name. It is my middle name, as well as my mother's and grandmother's. I deeply regret not giving the name to my daughter, but what's done is done. So if this one is a girl, she will definitely get the (horrid) family name.

Other girls' names we are considering are Wren and Briar.

I know this was ridiculously long for a baby name post, but whatevs.. it is what it is

Now... tell me yours!! and your guilty pleasures if you have any!
seoulmom likes this.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

September 19th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually love River to. I did have that in mind for a possible middle name, but who knows, we'll see. We haven't been talking names yet. But I have looked at some of the baby name sites to start getting ideas.

September 19th, 2013, 08:35 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love both of those names! And I'm sure I can do a long name post too!

We decided on our names shortly before we got pregnant.

Girl: Magdalena Claire.
When we first started dating (and already talking about kids and baby names, lol) FH told me if he had a girl he wanted to name her Magdalena after a song by Brandon Flowers. I love the song. I love having a good song to go with a name (DS and I both have a nice song for our names). My DS loves the song and asks to listen to it all the time and sings along, which is adorable. It goes well with FH's Spanish last name. I like the nickname potential too (Maggie, Magda, Lena, etc.) And I like that it isn't terribly common. Claire is just a nice sweet middle name that goes well with it. I like the Frenchness of it, the meaning, and the associations I have with it.

Boy: Isidore Jove
Another music connection here. FH is a huge fan of a band called The Church and their lead singer does other projects with someone else as a duo called Isidore. I think when FH first suggested the name I wasn't sold on it. Then later I can't remember how it came up for me again but I looked it up and it grew on me and I suggested it again. Again, I like the Spanish-ness of it and the possible nicknames. FH's last name begins with an I as well so it will end up being an alliterated name, which used to be a no-no for me, but it's also growing on me. Jove is my choice - I like the space connection with Jupiter and the fact that it is a Roman mythology name (king of the gods, god of sky and thunder). Very uncommon but not too weird sounding and pretty cool, IMO.

September 19th, 2013, 09:00 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I like River, but I am also a Dr. Who nutter. I automatically thought of River Song.

As far as this baby's name. We have had them picked out for a long time.

Girl: Zamira Deidra. MN is a family name and the first is just a name that we love from DH's home country.

Boy: Dorian Endrit. Pretty much the same explanation as the girl. MN is family, first we just love that is from his home country.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 19th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No idea. I don't love any names yet - or if I do, I know someone close with the name and wouldn't feel right using it. I think I will wait until we find out the gender to at least slash the list by 50%.
September 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Super Mommy
As a school teacher, I am a big fan of easily identifiable (clearly recognizable/spellable/pronounceable) names. We're looking at the SSA's list of most common names, crossing off the top 10 or 15, and going through the rest.

Girl is pretty set on Madeline Claire. I like that it can be shortened to Maddie when she's little, but it's an elegant, strong name for a resume or a college application in the future.

Boy we are stuck on. I like the "gentler" sounding names (Landon, Ethan, Liam) and DH likes very strong traditional names (Raymond, John, etc). We're struggling to find a middle ground. I think we're both okay with Ryan, but neither of us is thrilled with it. It's the only name that neither of us makes a face at though.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
September 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Geogeek- I didn't realize River was a Dr. Who name!! Yikes. That may present a problem because of Dr. Who's growing popularity. I like non-traditional, non-popular names!

Michele- Love love love Magdalena! Beautiful names with wonderful nn options!
How do you pronounce Jove?

September 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemper2.0 View Post

Michele- Love love love Magdalena! Beautiful names with wonderful nn options!
How do you pronounce Jove?
It's a long O sound, so kind of like the name Job (or G.O.B. if you are an Arrested Development fan, lol), but with a v sound instead of a b.
kemper2.0 likes this.

September 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM
LuvsGavinNJamie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've thought of the name River too but yea I'm also a Doctor Who nut! And I expect that it will be popular soon. Plus I don't think dh would like it. He doesn't do Doctor Who but it was also a name in Firefly and the movie Serenity which we both liked.

I have no idea on names yet, except for past names considered.

For our first boy we debated between Gavin and Grant, and used the first. I've kept Grant in mind for our next boy, but it just doesn't appeal the same anymore. My dads name was Keith (he died at 51 almost 6 years ago now) and dh said that was his favorite boy name but with our first boy he didn't want to name him after pawpaw, since that would seem to be what we were doing if we used it. Now he said once that we could use it if we had a boy but I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe a middle name.

Girl names are just as hard to think about. We had no question that DD would be named Jamie but one of the first m/ns I thought of was Lauren. Next was Jean but I didn't care for the sound of alliteration or the thought of it turning into her tag name like a contraction. Like Bobby Jo or Mary Anne. We settled on Addison. But Jean is both my mom's and my MIL's m/n. so it's still out there, in my mind. And I don't particularly like it as a first name, because we already have a J name with Jamie.

September 19th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea River was the name of any movie/show characters either - oops.

September 19th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well we discussed names once and it ended in a fight so we aren't really talking about it anymore.

DH wants Gary Arthur III for a boy....which is not happening. I like Garrison Andrew. Same initials. Garrison is a kinda like a longer form of Gary and Andrew is my brothers middle names.

Girls: I love Elaina Marie. DH hates it. So we haven't discussed anymore. I also like Sabrina, Aralynne (usually spelled Aaralyn), Emmaline, Evelyn, and Norah. I feel like I need to find another 3 syllable name since my other girls have that.
September 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsGavinNJamie View Post
I've thought of the name River too but yea I'm also a Doctor Who nut! And I expect that it will be popular soon. Plus I don't think dh would like it. He doesn't do Doctor Who but it was also a name in Firefly and the movie Serenity which we both liked.
Ok, yep... River is out I can't do it if it has the likelihood of becoming popular and with how popular Dr. Who is- it's only a matter of time!! DH loves Firefly/Serenity and I was fine with that because I wouldn't classify it as anywhere near popular.

Blah. Back to square one with girly names

September 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well DH and I decided on a boy name. (By decided I mean it would probably change at least 3 more times before the end) Raylan Archer Harris.
**edit** yep I just looked at the popularity of Raylan and it looks like that will be changing. lol!

No clue for a girls name. I haven't given it much thought. I really like Cordelia though but hubby isn't sold. He's still hoping for a boy. lol
kemper2.0 likes this.

Last edited by RandE; September 19th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
September 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM
LuvsGavinNJamie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cordelia is my mom's first name!

September 20th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Veteran
For what it's worth, I was named after a character on a popular TV show....along with millions of other girls born in the mid 70s (Erin, The Waltons) and it's never bothered me to share my name so widely because of pop culture - I love my name! If you really love a certain name, I say go for it; regardless of the current fad.
JandJC and Boos Moo like this.
September 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran
I have no clue. picking names is SO hard and harder still when it's so abstract, and I don't even know if it's a boy or girl. Hopefully when we find out what we are having we will figure it out.

A big thank you to GraysMama for my gorgeous siggie!

Mama to one great kid through the miracle of adoption and one through the miracle of birth.
September 20th, 2013, 06:50 AM
My name is extremely rare (Katryn) and I have always LOVED having an unusual name so I've always wanted that for my kids

RandE- I LOVE the name Archer!!! Partly because it's one of my favorite shows, but mostly because the name is just balls awesome!
RandE likes this.

September 20th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So far we have a potential boy name: Kaison John. No girl names yet. DH and I have such a hard time agreeing on names. Kaison (pronounced "Ky-son") means son of a fighter. John is after DH's grandfather that just passed away after a long battle of lymphoma. He fought really a hard fight.
September 20th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a definite boy name picked out already. Girls are always harder for us. I'd love to use Rachel after my DH's grandmother - she died last year and she was super special to him, and I thought she was pretty special myself. My DH isn't in love with using her name though, he's worried his mom will be jealous - which if you knew his mom you'd understand.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
September 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We really like Harrison for a boy. Girl names are much harder for me, I like Gwen, Arden & Evelyn right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search