Back Pain Rant!

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2013, 08:02 AM
How are the rest of you ladies holding up when it comes to back pain?

I've been experiencing it a little bit, just minor twinges here and there, but last night was the first time I've had excruciating pain in my lower back. I tried everything, laying on my back, laying on my stomach, sides, using multiple pillows, and most importantly annoying the crap out of DF who had to be to work at 7 this morning

I've looked into the Snoogle total body pillow and the Boppy total body pillow, but if I'm gonna shell out the money for it I wanna know which one is gonna be better.

Tips, tricks, recommendations? Bring it on!
October 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran
I've also had some back pain. I don't remember feeling any until after my 30th week previously, I am wondering if it's started earlier because it's my third pregnancy. Mostly it is in my lower back on the left side and sometimes runs down my leg. I am hoping it will ease up or at least not get worse. It's frustrating because I am to nervous to take anything for it.
October 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am having a lot this pregnancy. The only thing I can think to recommend is a heating pad and Tylenol. Hope it gets better soon!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

October 28th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Sebastians_mom - My future MIL told me she didn't experience bad back pain until her third pregnancy either. I know the muscles in your back take a lot of the strain so probably by that time you back is screaming for a much needed massage! I heard though that pregnant women need to be careful of how their back is massaged due to nerves being pinched? I hope yours subsides soon! Ask your OB or midwife about taking Tylenol for some relief. Mine says that Tylenol is on the safe list of medications to take in moderation.

Kemper - My midwife said Tylenol was okay to take in moderation. I had to get up in the middle of the night to take one, but of course there was no relief. Maybe I'll just invest in a heating pad. Hopefully yours gets better soon! Thank you for the advice
October 28th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Super Mommy
Lately I get sharp pains in my lower back when I sneeze. And of course, it's allergy season.

I was gifted one of those big ol' body pillows (shaped like a giant U), but I ended up stuffing it in the closet because the darn thing takes up the whole bed! We have a queen sized bed, but even still there'd be no room for DH if the pillow and I were both in bed!

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
October 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I get so big so fast my back and ligaments really start to hurt quickly. I just bought a regular body pillow instead of the pregnancy pillows. I made my investment into a maternity back support belt. That is the one thing that REALLY helped me! This is the one I use. The Ultimate Maternity Belt | Motherhood Maternity

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 28th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I’ve been having pretty bad sciatic nerve pain, off and on. When I do have it, it’s terrible…but it’s not all day, or even every day. It seems like I have it the worse when I spend the day doing something that involves me being on my feet and bending over. (I was practically bed-ridden Thursday after a day of Fall-cleaning on Wednesday.) I actually went to the doctors about it Thursday, and he said all I can do is heat, ice or tylenol.

I’ve been using a regular old body pillow at night, which seems to help a little. DH hates it, lol. If it gets worse, I’ll consider dishing the money out for a pregnancy pillow…but the body pillow seems to be working ok for now.
October 28th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Karen - I didn't even think of how much space it would take up in our bed. We have a queen as well and already DF hates how much of a bed hog I am! Our poor men having to deal with us :rolls eyes:
Hopefully your allergies subside soon! I haven't sneezed yet since my back started actually hurting, but I can imagine it'll hurt just as bad as when I take a deep breath. My back just does not want to have any of it. All I can keep thinking is, please don't let this be a sign that I'm going to have horrible back labor!

geogeek - I'll have to give that a try! I know I'll end up needing it soon. Due to quitting smoking as soon as I found out plus packing on the pregnancy pounds I've gained 22 lbs! I'm finally back up to my pre-smoking weight (I dropped 20 lbs in less than a year due to it, such a nasty, nasty habit), which is all well and good, but my growing belly is definitely starting to reek havoc on my back from getting so big so fast! Thank you for the recommendation!
October 28th, 2013, 10:58 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I just wanted to say congratulations on quitting smoking! With my family members, I know that is a really hard thing to do!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Tamara - That's what I fear for is the sciatic nerve pain. So sorry you're dealing with that
At least it's not persistent! With having two boys I can imagine you probably don't have much time to actually relax and deal with the pain!
October 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
geogeek - Thank you much! It's been a very long battle for both DF & I, but I always said as soon as I get that BFP, good bye to these nasty cancer sticks! DF is still trying to quit, but with him being unable to smoke around me has really helped him cut back.
My mother just recently passed from complications due to throat cancer and she was a smoker for many, many years which helped me along in quitting before I gave up cold turkey. Losing loved ones to cancer caused by them really opens your eyes.
October 28th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My poor back is aching a lot as well, especially after walking a lot or being on my feet doing other things (like dishes!). I loved our bed until I got pregnant this time and think I may shell out some money for a foam topper or some sort.

I have a Snoogle and loved it with my second pregnancy but haven't gotten it out yet. I should though, maybe then I'd be able to get comfortable!

Congrats on quitting smoking! While I've never been a smoker myself I have several family members who are or were. I've seen how they struggle with quitting and other issues it causes.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
October 28th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No back pain yet, but my sciatic nerve is bad a lot of the time. Ugh. I remember excruciating back pain a few times with my other two. I think I used one of those heat wraps because tylenol didn't touch it. Feel better soon.
October 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, I really hate back pain. When I get BH contractions (or real ones) they are in my back. Plus my sciatica nerve has bothered me a couple of times. But what usually gives me the lower back pain is when I had to stand or walk to much. Which I hope isn't a sign of the months to come or DH is going to have to push me around in a wheelchair. Hope you feel some relief soon.

October 29th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Gray - At least that gives you an excuse to not have to do the dishes for a little while huh? Hopefully you feel better soon! I have a foam topper on our bed and I love it! I highly recommend shelling out the money for one.
Thank you though! It has been quite the struggle, but I just have to keep telling myself that if there's no healthy value in it, why am I consuming it? Mind over matter!

Julie - Tylenol just does not do the trick. Same with the headaches I get now as well. Hopefully you haven't had any of those pop up! I hope your sciatic nerve starts to calm down soon! I haven't looked it up, but I wonder if heat does the trick for that problem?

Boos - I didn't think sciatic nerve pain was so prevalent! Get crafty and make a wheelchair that's also a back, calf, and foot massager! I'll definitely invest in one of those
I hope your pain subsides soon! Take some time to relax and put your feet up during the day, or even take a nap.
Gray_baby and Boos Moo like this.
October 29th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did take a nap yesterday, and the back pain was still there for about an hour after waking up. Today it didn't start til after lunch. I'll have to wait on making a proto-type of the wheelchair idea, as my belly is getting to big already to make bending over easy
HaleyJ16 likes this.

October 30th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Awh shucks! We'll heck while I'm still pretty mobile I might as well try my hand at it. Now just to think about how to obtain a wheelchair...
I'm glad your back pain seems to be giving you a little leeway at least! Mine hasn't struck since that night (knock on wood!)
Boos Moo likes this.
October 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I LOVE my snoogle. I keep meaning to pull it out and forget until like 1am. Watch for sales, it is so pricey, but worth it if you get it on sale.

And CONGRATS on quitting smoking! I quit smoking about 6 weeks before getting my bfp with DS. It is SO hard but SO rewarding. I am at 2 years and 10 days smoke free and I am so happy about it! DH was supposed to quit with me and he lasted about until 4 weeks after my bfp with DS. He's also tried a few times since then, and is currently about to give it another shot. Be encouraging to your DF but don't push it. Its very difficult! But YAY to you!!!!!
HaleyJ16 likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
October 30th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Thank you! I'm really proud of it. I don't mean to push DF, but man does he make it hard for me to stay confident in my ability to quit!
I wish the pregnancy would make me hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I enjoy smelling it more than I enjoy smelling this e-vapor cigarette that he has. I instantly get nauseous every time he uses it which is horrible because it's way better than him smoking and smelling like cigarettes.

Congrats to you though big time! Did you have any triggers when you smoked that would make you want to more that you had to cut out in order to quit? For me it is coffee. Every time I drink a cup I instantly get that urge, but I have yet to cave! I try to cut back on the coffee and drink tea instead and it helps.

I've been checking Groupon and Babies R Us on the regular to try and make sure I don't miss having it go on sale. That's one thing I think I need classes on is finding really great deals on baby items. I've never been much of a shopper, but all of my friends who have babies have become wicked bargain shoppers due to having children. I guess I just haven't been graced with the magic yet
October 30th, 2013, 10:03 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had much at all. Just some very early on in the first few weeks and maybe little twinges here and there. I don't remember having much back pain with DS at all, even in the final weeks.

I have a Snoogle Loop and I like it a lot. The shape is a little "off" for my height. I can't really explain it. It's like a semi-fixed loop that seems better suited for really tall people. In bending it (with my last pregnancy) I've ripped it at the seams a little on the inside curves. I wish it was a little more adjustable, I guess, but it still works great.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search