Question for moms who had a pain med free birth

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Which part is more painful during a pain med free birth?
Contractions and labor 6 85.71%
Pushing/ring of fire/delivery 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By seoulmom
  • 1 Post By seoulmom
  • 1 Post By Gray_baby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Veteran
I have a question for moms who had a pain med free birth. What is worse? The contractions and labor, or the pushing/ring of fire/delivery, in terms of pain? My midwife tells me it's the contractions. I had an epidural, but didn't get it until I was at 10cm and had a cervical lip, so they said I had to have it so my body would stop trying to push, which would damage my cervix. I still felt contractions, had to breath through them, felt my son come out, so I don't know if the epi even worked, or if it numbed the pain of pushing. My midwife tells me an epi does not help that pain. So if what they said is true, I guess I had a sort of
Pain med free birth, in terms of pain. But i don't know if that's true, because i did NOT feel the ring of fire. Anyway, I'm trying to decide what to do this time around, natural or epi.

A big thank you to GraysMama for my gorgeous siggie!

Mama to one great kid through the miracle of adoption and one through the miracle of birth.

Last edited by seoulmom; November 11th, 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Needed to add more
November 11th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Justiah's Avatar Super Mommy
Epidural definately nummed it for me. Had two epidural births and two without. I guess it depends on the kind of labour you have my last with no pain meds I had back labour it was horrible the one before no epidurl and went much better. Still in my opinion I would say contractons were worse then you have the added pain of the ring of fire as they call it it might feel worse then because they are both coming at the same time.

Ps were you on September 2011due date club with me? You look fimilar..

Last edited by Justiah; November 11th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
November 11th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran
Yep! lol that's me, I still haven't changed my siggie. Oops! I'm never on the computer, just mobile, so I haven't had a chance to get an up updated siggie!
Justiah likes this.

Mama to one great kid through the miracle of adoption and one through the miracle of birth.
November 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Too cool when you due this time? Im due on the 12 of April. I was due like one day before you last time.

November 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran
I'm due the 14th. We must have very similar cycles!
Justiah likes this.

November 11th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Hahaha thats so strange...

November 12th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't go pain med free, however, with my VBAC I had a low dose epidural - after like 5cm or more - (I asked for the lowest level meds possible and was warned it would only take the edge off which was fine with me). And when it came time to push the meds had worn off and they turned the epi off completely. I felt the ring of fire and the urge to push was intense, however, it wasn't near as bad as the contractions I had before getting my epidural. Once I felt the urge to push the contractions and the urge to push was a relief, not something to fear. Plus the ring of fire didn't last long, it happened pretty quickly and then was gone so only a brief pain for me. Sure the ring of fire hurt but for me the contractions prior to the epi were way worse.

Maybe your epi didn't have a chance to take effect before you started pushing. I know for me it took several minutes before I felt any relief. I had some god awful pain down the front of my thighs with each contraction and was finally able to relax them about 15 minutes after the epi was placed. I had a hard time standing and squatting due to the pain in my thighs, but sitting or laying down was out of the question so the epi really helped me relax.
Justiah likes this.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Veteran
Any more thoughts on this? Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search