RANT! Tired of people telling me not to work-out!

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NehaT
  • 1 Post By juliebee123
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By Duffy510

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran
Okay..... If I hear one more of my friends/family tell me that I should not be working out being pregnant, I'm going to SCREAM!!!!!

My response is always really calm/and collected but it's the same people who keep mentioning it.

Working out at the gym is very healthy in pregnancy, especially when we are carrying all of this extra weight - and to be honest I DON'T WANT TO BE ONE OF "THOSE" MOTHERS THAT COMPLAIN FOR 5 YEARS THAT I STILL HAVE "BABY WEIGHT" no offence to anyone...

Every time I mention to my sis-in-law and my BFF that I was at the gym...or going to the gym, they jump on the "you need to stay out of that place" band wagon, ugggggggg..... I guess that's because when they were pregnant, they took that as be lazy and eat whatever you feel like!

I worked out before being pregnant, and it makes me feel good...makes my body feel good and it still does.

How do I get them to stop!!!!????

hormones in over time - END RANT!
November 12th, 2013, 07:45 AM
NehaT's Avatar Super Mommy
Tell them Dr told you to do moderate exercise..
MKnaomi likes this.
November 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And here I thought my DH was annoying by always asking me when I'm going to workout. I think people telling me working out is bad while pregnant would definitely be more annoying! I feel for you. Maybe just ignore them, don't engage in a debate or argument about the benefits of working out.

Or show them this article - Pregnant CrossFit Mom Infuriates Misguided Know-It-Alls On Facebook. I'm amazed by this woman, I feel like a total slug when I see her pics and hear about her workouts. I'm lucky if I get on the treadmill or do some yoga in my living room.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 12th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
People always give annoying advice about everything - and I think when pregnant, we are more easily annoyed receiving it. Just go about your business and say your doctor suggested it.
Karen182 likes this.
November 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Yeah, excercise is good during pregnancy. It used to be a 9 month affliction that people were considered in a state of illness. Just stand your ground and get mad if you have to. Sorry they don't understand.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

November 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lol. I can relate!! I go crazy at work when no one allows me to carry anything. As much as I appreciate the gesture, I don't want to sit on my rear all day at work, and it's not going to kill me to carry a pack of paper to the printer, or a 5 lb package back to my desk.
November 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, that's annoying. Sometimes I just avoid mentioning certain things in front of certain people. I did a bunch of yard work on Saturday. I actually enjoy it, it was great to be outside, and the exertion wasn't too much. But when my mom asked me about my day, I omitted it. She'd have said I shouldn't have been doing it or, worse yet, that DH shouldn't have let me. I just file such activities under "none of your business" and move on.

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

November 12th, 2013, 04:22 PM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
visiting from May DDC, I just signed up at the Y because I gained 8 pounds last month. I think what you're doing is smart. Those people that are commenting that you shouldn't be working out will be the same ones so jealous at how great you look after the baby is born!! LOL! good for you, don't let them bother you

November 12th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Talk to them and let them know that it is safe in a normal pregnancy and let them know you are not over doing it and baby will be fine because your body was already used to working out. I am not doing the same workout as I did prior to pregnancy I have eased it up to a point where I feel comfortable.
November 12th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Show them the studies to back it up if things are repeatedly said to you. Working out is SO healthy and highly recommended. Whether its continuing what you were doing before, walking, swimming, etc. It is SO good for the baby!

I'm all about walking on the treadmill right now lol.
MKnaomi likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
November 13th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Super Mommy
Yah, pull in the doctor card! Just look very surprised like "oh! But my DOCTOR said I need too! didn't you know?" Every doctor SHOULD be recommending this, if they are not already, science changes, and the science now is to work out at the level you feel comfortable but DO work out, it makes labour go easier! Tell them that, "studies show working out helps ease the pain of labour" that ought to shut them up
Otherwise, Keep taking your deep breaths mama! My MIL is very well meaning, but she has a hard time beleiving that as well, cus it was SO pushed in her 'time' that you must be a slug and eat a ton and do NOTHING your whole pregnancy. (guess where that got her, and many women her age?) She also is very worried when I go to my aquafit classes "is that safe? should you be in the pool?" I finally told her gently the baby is shut in there nice and tight and no water from the pool could possibly get in. poor thing, there was so much bad advice floating around and no internet to correct it back then.
November 13th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Duffy510's Avatar Super Mommy
As an aside, I found it difficult to get rid of the baby weight no matter how much I exercised. Darn genetics!

Anyway, here is an article from the March of Dimes Foundation explaining to women why they should exercise during pregnancy. Perhaps you can forward this to them?
Exercise during pregnancy | March of Dimes
Gray_baby likes this.

November 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM
PinkHurricane's Avatar Super Mommy
I say the same as everyone else! I tell those nay-sayers that my doctor told me that I could, especially since I was working out prepregnancy, and that I have to listen to my body and make sure I am not overworking myself and putting our baby at risk. And of course, I love to forward articles encouraging workouts during pregnancy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search