O/T toddlers!!!

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By katiep726

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those of you that are btdt, do you have any suggestions for toddlers that won't eat?!! I mean besides a few bites at meals and some snacks Carter hardly eats anything! Forget any vegetables which he used to love! Or fruit for that matter. He just won't even taste them.

So not only do I worry about him eating healthy but he's also extremely small for his age. We have his 2 yr old checkup tomorrow, but at 31 in he won't even be on the charts for his height.

I just don't know what to do. I can't force him to eat and he doesn't understand ultimatums of just eat 2 more bites or whatever.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
November 12th, 2013, 08:03 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Marsi is going through a eating strike right now. I offer things, but she won't eat them. She hasn't gained any weight in 6 months. I just started offering her PediaSure. She won't even drink 1/3 of it at a sitting so I just try to offer her things all the time.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

November 12th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Keep offering different things?

No matter what, my son will eat yogurt. He also loves those pouch things that you can get with fruit or veggies. Basically get something into him?

Hope the appointment goes well, he sounds like a little shortie! Perhaps your doctor will have other suggestions as well? My son's 15 month appointment is in 2 weeks, not sure where he'll fall.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
November 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First off hugs! I have a non eater and it is always a struggle and makes you worry.
My dd is totally different than most toddlers. She hasn't been on the growth chart for a looooong time. She is actually on growth hormone shots right now.
Anyway I said all of that to say maybe ask your pediatrician for periactin. It is an antihistamine but it helps increase appetite. We tried that with dd last year. It was amazing the difference in her appetite. Dd's endocrinologist prescribed it, but maybe if you mention it to the pedi they might let you try it.
It tastes nasty though so I always gave it to her with a tiny bit of sprite to mask the taste.

We also had to put dd on a feeding schedule. And cut way back on snacks. She tends to graze instead of eat meals.

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
November 13th, 2013, 07:21 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My two year old has always been in the 5th or less %tile- she has just always been tiny and she eats well sometimes and not so well others. I just try to keep offering her different things throughout the day.
November 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, yikes Both of my kids were/are eaters so I don't have any first hand experience, but from what I've heard others say maybe I could offer a little advice. I would always keep some sort of snack/food out for him to pick on throughout the day. Maybe some cheese squares and fruit just setting out on the table. Always a cup of milk or juice handy. Just keep offering him things, but don't make a big deal out of whether or not he eats (in front of him) because for toddlers I think that's half the fun! Also, be sure to bring your concerns up to his pediatrician. They handle these things daily and I'm sure he will have some wonderful insight to give you. Lastly, I wouldn't stress. I know it's easier said than done, but he won't starve himself. It's just a stage he's going through and he will get through it without causing any harm to himself

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

November 13th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 2.5 year old is small for her age - I think she's finally in the 10th percentile but it's been a struggle. How is your son's weight for his height? Sometimes that's a better indicator of a problem than just height or weight for age. Some kids are just short or weigh less, but for their height they weigh enough - does that make sense?

I found cutting out snacks really helped at meal time. Also, sitting at the kitchen table, no TV or other distractions. I find helping my DD with bites helps get her attention and interest, otherwise she'll just sit there chatting or singing, but if I can focus her she'll eat. Sometimes she likes her sandwiches whole but other times she eats better if I cut them into bite sized pieces, so I start with a whole sandwich (well, it's quarters, lol) and cut if she needs it. She likes ranch (and sometimes other sauces) so if she's not eating well I'll give her that (unless it's something I know she'll want to dip like nuggets). Sometimes making food more interactive helps at this age. She also goes back and forth over using a fork, some days she prefers using her fingers and I'm fine with whatever as long as she eats.

I know how frustrating it is when they haven't eaten more than a few bites and you know they need more. Once my DD is done she won't open her mouth again and sometimes she's spit food out after chewing for awhile. It's maddening! You have to be careful of making it a power struggle though, at this age they're trying to assert their independence so encouraging that while making eating fun is useful.

We had her on a high calorie formula (Neocate) from a year old to over 2 to help her gain - she had a problem with milk and other dairy for about a year until she grew out of it. That really helped her gain. We still give her the Neocate juice boxes because they are a great source of calories and vitamins. They're pricey though, so other sources like pediasure would probably be better for a kid who has no issue with dairy. We only keep using the Neocate since she likes it now. Thankfully my DD's issue was with dairy (the milk protein specifically) and now that is behind us she's finally gaining, though very slowly.

EDIT: I just want to add that it's normal for kids in this age range to not eat as much or slow down. Sometimes it's just because they're growing slower and some kids are asserting their independence. My 3 year old (almost 4) used to eat everything I gave her but then around 2.5 or 3 she suddenly became picky and stopped eating things she used to like. Since she's always been a very healthy kid and at the high end of the growth chart it wasn't a big deal with her, but with my 2.5 year old it's sooooo stressful!!!! HUGS!!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here

Last edited by Gray_baby; November 13th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
November 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm heading to the dr now. I think his weight for his height is fine, I mean he's not super skinny. What worries me more than his current size is that At 9 months-1 yr he was like 75%!!

November 13th, 2013, 04:28 PM
The dr of course said he's fine. I worry more as a mom then I ever thought I would!! He's just a toddler and probably gonna be short. Sorry hubby
Gray_baby and Jessimaaka like this.

November 14th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't feel bad! It's totally normal to worry, and it's especially bad when toddlers decide to not eat like we'd like them too. Hugs!!!!!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
November 14th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never went threw it with paige but I did the girl I was babysitting. She lost like 8# and her Dr was worried. I tried enerything from sitting there till she could eat enough to taking away ALL snacks. The ONLY thing that worked for her was a reward when she would eat it all. It did not have to be anything big but something and she would eat better.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search