Vaccinating or not...or whatever you want to do =)

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes
  • 2 Post By mommy2b43
  • 1 Post By Tersh
  • 1 Post By Justiah
  • 2 Post By mommy2b43
  • 3 Post By love.our.logan579
  • 1 Post By juliebee123
  • 5 Post By RandE
  • 3 Post By mommy2b43
  • 1 Post By PinkHurricane
  • 1 Post By MKnaomi
  • 1 Post By Karen182
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43
  • 1 Post By TinaG1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2013, 06:03 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember we talked briefly about vaccinations in the beginning because I was interested if anyone had refused the Vitamin K shot/eye drops. And, there seemed to be a lot of moms who are selective about what they inject in their babies on this board.

I just went on a different board because I was bored (and got woken up 2 hours ago by a text lol oops)...it seems like a lot of those mommies are *positive* vaccinations are the way to go. I don't personally care what other people do and I don't think either side is "right." I think there are arguments for all sides and since we're at home and homeschooling- it makes sense to selectively vaccinate for *US.*....I"m just surprised how many people are POSITIVE vaccinating is 100% right because to me it seems so...unproven. Maybe it's just my indecisive nature =) I really think my only conviction in life is QUESTION everything...and, sometimes I wish it would go away so I could just be more decisive...I may never make a decision about circumcision...or the Vit K shot =)

Oh and I don't think I really had a point except I like our group better because I know there were people on both sides- or if there weren't it wasn't "if you don't vaccinate you're not fulfilling your civic duty" sounding =) I, personally, think parenting decisions are private and while it's good to get other people's advice/opinions, I would never judge a morally neutral parenting decision!
Justiah and MKnaomi like this.

Last edited by mommy2b43; November 28th, 2013 at 06:10 AM.
November 28th, 2013, 09:09 AM
NehaT's Avatar Super Mommy
Agree..
Sometimes I get confused about whether to opt it or not.. As practice in my home country and here in US is totally different. In US for every single thing you have tablet and vaccine and thats not the case in my home country,, ofcourse there are different practices and different timeline. Thats why I normally do ask such questions like is that really required....
November 28th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The only vax my girls don't get is hep B when they are newborns from the hospital. The rest they get on time.
November 28th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
I like to hope that people who decide to vaccinate have untaken the appropriate research before they make a decision (and we vax). I feel the same way about circumcision. These aren't small decisions, they shouldn't be done without thought, contemplation and research about pro's and con's. I hate seeing these decisions made blindly just because people assume that what they have chosen is the right thing to do.
Justiah likes this.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

November 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Justiah's Avatar Super Mommy
We don't vaccinate anymore my first 3 were Vaccinated my 3rd had a reaction every time we got his shots and everytime the reaction got a bit worse. I looked deeper into vaccines and they scared the living daylights out of me . So we have made the decision to stay far away from them..I have joind a Facebook Page called my child's vaccine reaction (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-ch...72638272814622) and there are many story's that will make you bawl...
.. I like what you have said about there being a augment for all sides.. I will not judge others who vaccinate and I don't like being judged for my choice in this matter as I am doing what I think is safest and best for our family... We also Homeschool...I think do your best for your family get educated on the decisions you make and don't judge others for there decisions. There doing there best!
mommy2b43 likes this.

Last edited by Justiah; November 28th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
November 28th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Exactly, it's the same with circumcision. It's not black and white. There are people who have problems on both sides. There's no right and wrong answer and there are grown men who have both ends of it and feel strongly on both sides. There is no one size fits all answer to these kind of things!! And, I agree it's your own responsibility to research and make educated decisions. But, you can also choose not to make an educated decision- I wouldn't recommend it and I don't think it's the best way to go but it's ultimately your decision and each person has to live with the results of those decisions.
seoulmom and MKnaomi like this.
November 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We personally skip certain ones & delay the others. I think that vaccinations have so many pros (as well as cons), but I don't like the idea of my baby getting several different vaccinations at a time, having a reaction & us not knowing what exactly it was that caused the reaction.

I think a lot of parents research & choose what makes the most sense for them(vax on schedule, delay vax, skip vax or no vax), which I totally support!
kemper2.0, Justiah and mommy2b43 like this.

November 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Ha and I just re-read my first sentence and it didn't sound the way I meant- I just meant we had all sorts of views- for or against but they were not antagonistic

I agree about a delayed schedule- if you can do it, I think doing 1-2 shots at a time is smart. But it doesn't work for everyone for sure!!
November 28th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am undecided. We delayed and spaced out our boys vac, but I have researched a lot and might follow the standard schedule. Still need to give it a bit more thought.
mommy2b43 likes this.
November 28th, 2013, 07:07 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.our.logan579 View Post
We personally skip certain ones & delay the others. I think that vaccinations have so many pros (as well as cons), but I don't like the idea of my baby getting several different vaccinations at a time, having a reaction & us not knowing what exactly it was that caused the reaction.

I think a lot of parents research & choose what makes the most sense for them(vax on schedule, delay vax, skip vax or no vax), which I totally support!
Ditto this, exactly!!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

November 28th, 2013, 10:59 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. I get annoyed with really loud pro vaxers because they get so MEAN about it! I had a lady tell a friend of mine that she may as well get used to the idea of sitting by a hospital bed and watching her children die because that's what was going to happen because she chose not to vaccinate. Really??

Vaccinations are the most difficult parenting decision I've ever had to make. There is no legitimate evidence one way or another for it and it's a '****** if you do, ****** if you don't' situation for me. If my child gets sick from a vaccine I will hate myself as a parent for choosing that for them. If they get sick because I didn't vaccinate I will hate myself as a parent for choosing that for them. Just really tough for us. We choose to selectively vaccinate for the really bad/common ones and either delay or avoid the not-so-bad/rare diseases. =/ But who knows what's right? ya know?

November 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Regular
It's a tough one. I am thinking about exploring the homeopathic vaccinations. If i do decide to do some of the traditional vaccinations, I will be spacing them out.
November 29th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Allie- that is exactly how I feel!!! I'm so conflicted. I recently had my kids braced for polio because I had seen something on tv and got the "omg I feel compelled to" feeling and now I regret it...sort of lol it's like- well my kids are fine so whatever but it was probably unnecessary.

I have to say though that the unkindness goes both ways. I know someone who can be nasty about it- they do all organic and no vax no circ etc...well she tries to make me feel so bad about my parenting decisions sometimes and it drives me up a wall. Yep- sometimes my kids eat McDonalds but that doesn't mean I don't love them!!! (What she's indicated before- only bad people let their kids eat fast food...no joke).

I actually tend to not like extreme opinions on anything- I don't care what it is- vaccines, organics, breast feeding, carseats...I spend enough time beating myself up- I don't need any help
RandE, PinkHurricane and MKnaomi like this.
November 29th, 2013, 09:08 AM
PinkHurricane's Avatar Super Mommy
My husband and I have been very well educated on vaccinations and the true science behind them and we will be vaccinating all of our children on a selective/delayed vax schedule. I agree with vaxing but I believe that it should be timed out and a child should only receive one vax at a time. I think vaccines such as the swine flu and hpv are unnecessary, but MMR, tetanus, polio, etc are important and essential for ourselves and our family.

However, with that being said, I do not criticize or judge parents who decide to not vaccinate at all. Every parent has the right to choose what they think is best for their children and it is not my place to tell people what to do. I always just recommend every parent to not make their decisions lightly and to make sure they are completely educated from legitimate updated sources on all vaccines in order to make the best decision for their family.
MKnaomi likes this.
November 29th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Super Mommy
I agree with Allie, i have found anti-vax'ers are much quieter and 'personal choice' about it, versus strong pro-vax people who can be downright mean! I also find most of them haven't done much research and are working off the things they heard on the news or read in pamphlets at the doctors.
I had a great nurse once though, who when I explained my feelings and why it was so important to us to space our vaccinations out one at a time said she was impressed at how much thought and research I was putting into my children's health. Even though I know she didn't agree with me, she still called me a good mom. I just made sure I had read BOTH sides of the debate as much as possible, so I would have educated answers to give to nurses who questioned me. It worked well for the most part! My other tactic if they are getting upset, is to ask their advice about something totally unrelated, LOL, it distracts them and makes them feel that I still value their professional opinions about things.

I think vaccinations have saved many many people's lives, I read too many historical books and know how bad some of those diseases were back then too But I also know I was no where near as young as my kids are when I got many of my vaccinations as a child, nor did I get nearly so many. (I was old enough that I remember many of them, as well as those my younger brother received.) I know here, they even added another one that my daughter got, which wasn't around for my son.. they are only 3 years apart! I just don't think enough has been done to look at the long term effects of that many vaccines that soon, there hasn't been enough years to have done that kind of study.
We are concerned more about "minor" immune reactions, like allergies. I feel like delaying and spacing gives us the best of both worlds, protecting as much as we can from both concerns.
RandE likes this.
November 29th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Super Mommy
This pretty much sums up my thoughts: Married to Medicine: Vaccination: A Layperson's Perspective

We will vaccinate as the medical community recommends. I trust they know more than I do about vaccines.
Glitz likes this.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
November 29th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I didn't really read the article but I don't feel like it's an objective viewpoint. They posted pictures to kind of "scare" you into it. And, I doubt they mention that medical textbooks indicate a decline in all of the common vaccinated for diseases (polio, measles, mumps, etc)? The other issue they may or may not have covered is efficacy. Someone vaccinated against whooping cough, for example, can still *get* and spread whooping cough- which makes the argument that babies are in danger because of the unvaccinated less valid (I personally am vax'ed and so is the rest of my family because I'm scared of it). Also, I don't understand why Dr Sears gets such a bad rap! He's pro-vax for crying out loud!!

I don't think vaccines are bad or evil or a conspiracy theory by any means! I don't think anyone recommends vaccinations out of spite or anything! I just don't think there's one side to the story...I've found one of the most unbiased looks at it to be dr sears vaccine book. It presents the information about each disease/vaccine and his recommendation that you fully vaccinate. It also gives you other options if you decide not to!
MKnaomi likes this.
November 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Super Mommy
I am pro vaccinating. Honestly though, I don't want to respond with an explanation and start any type of controversial argument. Arguments seem to start easily with this topic because there is little credible proof to either side. I just know what I feel is right.
Glitz likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search