Christmas tradition?

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43
  • 1 Post By juliebee123
  • 2 Post By Tamara22
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43
  • 2 Post By Tamara22
  • 1 Post By Gray_baby
  • 1 Post By MKnaomi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What's your favorite family tradition or if you don't have one will you start one with LO?

Each year we each get an ornament for the tree. Christmas Eve we go to church have dinner then read the Christmas story and the night before Christmas.

December 20th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Super Mommy
My family always made buckeye candy growing up. We'd make triple batches and invite the whole extended family over to help with rolling and dipping the balls.

As children, we used to go on "Christmas Light" walks around the neighborhood and try to find the best light displays.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
December 20th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We do a Danish Christmas on the 24th, so that's my family tradition. DH and I don't do anything on the 25th, but I would like to start doing a turkey and stuffing dinner on the 25th once we are living in a more suitable house.
JulieM likes this.
December 20th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a couple of must see neighborhood holiday light displays we go to every year. One we drive (it's mostly hills), the other we walk and they even have kids playing instruments, one family sells fresh made kettle corn, and another family sells hot cocoa and coffee.
JulieM likes this.

December 20th, 2013, 07:14 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a ton. We do the elf on a shelf who brings a basket of wrapped books at the beginning of December (they are not new books- just our Xmas books we've collected). We do advent wreath nightly and the girls put their pieces up on our two advent calendars. On Xmas eve we go to mass, then out to dinner at the Japanese steakhouse, then home to a PJ scavenger hunt and this year the girls will be exchanging their presents before bedtime.

We also make and decorate sugar cookies every year. I'm dreading it this year with the nausea...
kemper2.0 likes this.
December 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We always cut down our own tree (have since I was a kid) and we drive around a certain neighborhood to see lights. We also open jammies on Christmas eve.
December 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Jammie's on Christmas Eve. Read the bible story Christmas Eve. That is about it here.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

December 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
oh, and my mom, sister, and I bake TONS of cookies.
JulieM likes this.
December 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My favorite tradition was going to go cut our tree down, and taking our family picture in front of it. We broke that tradition this year though. Hoping to pick it back up again next year when my energy levels are a little more normal.
JulieM and Boos Moo like this.
December 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We usually cut down our tree..but the $27.99 tree from Costco is actually much prettier than our usual $80-100 pick your own tree!! It's actually trimmed and pretty lol. Go figure.
JulieM likes this.
December 20th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
We usually cut down our tree..but the $27.99 tree from Costco is actually much prettier than our usual $80-100 pick your own tree!! It's actually trimmed and pretty lol. Go figure.
That's exactly what stopped us this year. It was $65 to cut down in our normal spot (it started at $20 and went up around $5 every year...and this year jumped from $45 to $65.) Home Depot was around $30 for a full 7 ft. tree, so we caved and broke our tradition. I couldn't justify the cost difference.
JulieM and mommy2b43 like this.
December 20th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started a tradition after DD1 was born that we have a nice ham dinner on Christmas Eve, then eat leftovers on Christmas day so no work for me. I make french toast every Christmas morning and DH fries some leftover ham from dinner the night before.

We usually buy an ornament for the tree every year but I think we forgot last year. Oops!

Our other big tradition is we spend it at home, just us, no traveling, no visitors. We love having it be a day just for us and our girls. We both grew up in families where we had to go to relatives houses all day on Christmas and it sucked so we wanted to change it. Though we'll probably invite our moms to come one year soon.
Boos Moo likes this.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
December 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM
isawastar's Avatar Super Mommy
We've not really had any traditions for our home. Holidays are split between her mother and us for my step-daughter, so we usually don't have her long and what time we do have her is spent up at my MILs house. This year we didn't even decorate. Next year, though, we'll be starting traditions - haven't quite decided on what all we'll do, but I've made it clear presents will be at home from now on (with those from his mom being at her house, of course).
December 21st, 2013, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
Our traditions have been slowly evolving and changing the longer we have been married/as our kids grow. I *think* we have some that are going to stick now. Last year was the first year we got to be at home christmas morning just us and the kids, I made an overnight french toast and we opened presents and ate and then got ready to go to my moms for the rest of the day. Boxing day was all day at the in-laws, which is a tradition in itself.
I didn't realize cut trees were so expensive! We've never done it, the first year we were married we found out Ikea sold trees for $20.. (any size and type) and you got a $20 off coupon for purchases in Jan/Feb. So as long as you needed to buy some things at Ikea in the new year, it's free! That became our tradition, we usually go the first weekend of december, we get cinnamon buns and coffee, get the tree and wander through the store, sometimes eating in the cafe there. It's fun! Now I won't' feel guilty anymore about not getting the traditional cutting down the tree shot
Boos Moo likes this.
December 21st, 2013, 06:57 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
We had so many as kids. Too many to list!

Ones I want to do with mine include checking out the winter lights presentation at a park near us every year, a new ornament for the tree with the year on it, not sure what else yet but I'm sure it will evolve over the years too.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
December 22nd, 2013, 06:33 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started elf on the shelf this year, we cut down our own tree, go to a local light display, and have specific Christmas movies we watch every year. We usually have several places to go but have breakfast and presents at home on Christmas morning. We also make cookies on Christmas Eve for Santa and read 'twas the night before Christmas. When DS is a little older well probably let him open one small present on Christmas Eve as well. Now he wouldn't understand why he can't open them all

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
December 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I forgot all about picking out new ornaments each year. The kids (well now just DD) each pick out their own and DH and I pick out one together. And leaving cookies out for Santa on his special plate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search