O/T - 2yo with wicked yeast rash

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By love.our.logan579
  • 2 Post By MKnaomi
  • 1 Post By JulieM
  • 4 Post By krissy1989
  • 1 Post By juliebee123

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
My 2yo has been on amoxicillin for the past week because of a little pneumonia that developed during his croup spell last week, and now he has a horrible yeast rash on his boy parts. He's allergic to dairy, so yogurt is out of the question. Besides cutting down on any sugar intake he has (juice, mainly), is there anything else I can do? My only option is to take him in so that they can give him MORE medicine, right? I can't remember...for yeast they usually just prescribe a cream, right?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can use anti fungal cream (like foot cream) or buy womans yeast infection cream to use on him. However make sure you mix 1/2 & 1/2 with an actual rash cream (desitin, triple paste, etc.) before you put it on his bottom. I usually squirt a little of the yeast cream on my hand & then put equal amounts of rash cream on my hand, mix them around a little & then apply on baby's bottom. We cloth diaper & either the foot cream or a yeast cream always clears it up when we have to battle a yeast rash thanks to the diapers having yeast in them.
krissy1989 and MKnaomi like this.

Last edited by love.our.logan579; December 29th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
December 29th, 2013, 02:52 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Probiotics- you can get children's ones at health food stores or get some powder form and put them in a smoothie or something. Yeast is not fun :/ good luck!
December 29th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had heard the same about canesten cream... But I had never heard to mix it with anything. When my nephew had a yeast infection we just put canesten on it.

Giving probiotics will be really good for it, too! Good luck, that gets really painful! Lots of air time will help too. My nephew had one so bad that it opened his skin and made him scream to pee -- we just left him without a diaper toddling around as much as possible to keep the damp out of it.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
December 29th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
GL! That sounds horrible, especially after battling croup and pneumonia!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
December 29th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Super Mommy
That's awful, DD had a TERRIBLE one that would NOT leave no matter what I did, I think it was 3 weeks or more. I got a cream at the clinic, which was a mix of an anti fungal with a hydro cortisone cream for the redness and swelling and it still didn't work, took a week and a half i think to clear up. Something that really helped me was switching off disposable wipes. My friend suggested it, and when I used cloth with plain water to wipe her, she started to get better right away. I have had good success in the past with canes tan as well, although I still like to have it recommended by the doc, then i just go to the pharmacy and get it off the shelf, rather than paying more for the prescription he wrote (actually I think I had some left over from my last yeast infection that I used :0, that was with DS. Oh, I don't' bother mixing it, but I do put it JUST on the red spots and then cover with a regular diaper cream. except I have heard regular diaper creams aren't good for yeast, because they basically box it in and make a green house on the bum, which makes the yeast grow more. LOTS of running naked is the best cure, but I hate doing that when we have carpet and rent :{
krissy1989 and AnnaBonana like this.
December 29th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dd had one when she was that age and pediatrician gave us cream that was half antifungal half cortisone. We also were told to stop using the baby wipes and just a cloth with water. I bought make up pads. They worked well. Good luck. They are awful.
MKnaomi likes this.

December 29th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I ended up taking him since in his insurance covers the expense of the cream. I was NOT told about the baby wipes though! I do remember reading something about thst a long time ago. I completely forgot. I thought I was imagining things when it seemed like wiping him made it worse/more painful.

Thank you all so much for coming to the rescue like that! I'll gate him into the hardwood room and let him run nakey. Who knows? Maybe he'll even want to get a headstart on his potty training and use the baby potty. A mom can hope!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 30th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Poor kid. In addition to cream, I'd give him some probiotics. There are vegan sources and also a drink called good belly that should be dairy free. Also coconut oil is anti-fungal.
krissy1989 likes this.
December 31st, 2013, 09:36 AM
Super Mommy
ooo coconut oil! Good tip!
January 1st, 2014, 10:50 PM
I never would have thought of coconut oil! I'll have to try that for next time, if there is one. The nystatin did the trick pretty quickly this go around, at least.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search