Baby shower. Oy!

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo
  • 1 Post By Karen182
  • 1 Post By shirley_ann
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By Moi
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By rainbowbaby14
  • 1 Post By Boos Moo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
My wife and I came up with our guest list for our baby shower and it's at 120 ppl.

W.T.H.

83 of them are just family, which I find to be ludacris! 28 of the 120 are kids, but still! It's like our wedding all over again!

The number is so high, in part, because we're doing a "Jack and Jill" shower and having men and women. My wife is the athletic, men's clothes wearing type so there's NO way she could stand a typical baby shower with a bunch of women "ooohing and ahhhing" over cute baby stuff.

We're not supposed to be involved in any of the planning but I am REALLLLY opposed to a fire hall rental scenario. I guess I'm just bratty We took it upon ourselves to look into renting out a room at a local restaurant like she surprised me with for our Bridal Shower, but even at $17-$20 a head, you're looking at thousands of dollars.

Sooooo thankfully my sister just moved into a big beautiful house with an inground pool that she has so generously offered to let us use for the shower It will be too cold for swimming but it'll still be nice to look at. We figured this will be the ideal way to have as many guests as we want without breaking the bank. Plus it will be more casual this way with homemade food which is much more my wife's style (and my sister is a fantastic cook).

Has anyone else been told they're not allow to know anything about the shower but you just can't help but interject yourself?! Please tell me I'm not the only one

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
December 31st, 2013, 07:34 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my other showers I didn't do anything besides the guest list, and at 2 of them I didn't even do that (one was a PTA shower they did for me and the other was a work shower).
But yikes, 120 ppl, I would be so overwhelmed. Do you have a date picked out?
MrsPalumbo likes this.

December 31st, 2013, 08:25 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I know there is one being planned for me and the only thing I care about is that the planner makes sure to let people know I do not want disposable diapers.

That is a huge shower. I haven't heard of them that big. Glad you found a place for it.
MrsPalumbo likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

December 31st, 2013, 09:16 AM
My MIL took the reins of all the planning without asking us who we wanted to plan everything, essentially so she could say, "Look what I did" or "I did that all by myself, no one even bothered to help me" when in reality she never asked anyone for help. So to try to have both my taste and my wife's incorporated in the day, I've recruited my Aunt and sister to help her with the planning. Now I *hopefully* won't have to worry about anything.

As for the amt of ppl, my Dad is 1 of 7 kids, Mom is 1 of 8, MIL is 1 of 5, FIL is 1 of 7 and StepFIL is 1 of 4, wife is 1 of 5 and I'm 1 of 4. Our families don't really know how to do small :/ Every family event has a ton of ppl no matter which side we're celebrating with. And when we need to combine all sides for something like this...forget it. Guaranteed a guest list of 100ppl or more. While it's nice to know Max is coming into the world with plenty of love to go around, it's a bit overwhelming and stressful at times, to say the least!

December 31st, 2013, 09:35 AM
Boos Moo-- no date picked out as of yet. Her tenative last day of work is April 1st. Her days off are Wednesday and Thursday so we're hoping we can wait until she's on maternity leave so she doesn't have to take off for a Sunday shower. She's a correction officer at one of our state prisons and they do not issue maternity bullet/shank proof vests (which is absolutely ridiculous) so depending on how big she gets and when, she may have to go out earlier...we'll see.

December 31st, 2013, 10:06 AM
amedawn's Avatar Veteran
Wow....120 people seems a bit over the top imo, especially for a second child. We have a large family as well but baby shower's we reserve for women only that way it stays somewhat calm and organised. I can't imagine having husbands and children involved but that's just me. Good luck...hope it turns out well!

December 31st, 2013, 12:13 PM
Well it'd be nice if she could take maternity leave early, but I know that's not always possible. If not April weather should be nice for a shower. I hope the planning and party all go smoothly.
MrsPalumbo likes this.

December 31st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Super Mommy
Wow! That's bigger than my wedding! Baby showers I've been to are under 15 people. I hope your planners are good at entertaining people!
MrsPalumbo likes this.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
December 31st, 2013, 12:39 PM
Super Mommy
That is a big shower, hope your sister's house has a lot of bathrooms

I don't think anyone's started shower plans for me yet. I just know there'll be one on my parents side and one on his parents side and 1 just for friends.

I'm sure they'll run with it and just make sure to ask me if they forgot anyone on the list.
MrsPalumbo likes this.

After 15 long years, our miracle is now here...
Xavier arrived 8 weeks early on February 9th, 2014
We are over the moon happy!!! <3

Follow me to my Blog at http://islandangel.blog.com

December 31st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was upset that my shower of 30+ was too big and extravagant ... LOL.

Good luck working out the kinks, I hope all goes smoothly!
MrsPalumbo likes this.
December 31st, 2013, 04:17 PM
Super Mommy
Yowzer. That's bigger than my wedding as well. I think the biggest shower I've ever been to was 30 people. Good luck!
MrsPalumbo likes this.
December 31st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I hope it goes smoothly. For large showers, I hate the gift part. Especially as an attendee...hope they make that part go well, especially if your wife is not a fan of things like that.

I ended up with 3 showers to avoid this sort of thing. One was both men and women and it went fine and was nice and relaxed. But my biggest shower still only had like 25 people.

I hope it is a good party though!
MrsPalumbo likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 1st, 2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran
We have about 50 or so ppl on our list but like yours it's a couples shower. That does not include kids! No co-workers or family. Not sure what we are doing there. I am not allowed to know anything either. My SIL wants it to be a complete surprise. I thought wow that's a lot of ppl but I figure only about 1/2 will come. It's in feb (Brrr!)bc I have to deliver in mid March. So thank goodness only 1/2 will come and they have a room for entertaining!
MrsPalumbo likes this.

January 2nd, 2014, 05:28 AM
I know customarily showers are not done for 2nd children, but this is my wife's first (and will be the only) pregnancy. I had the experience of all the frills that come with having your first born (almost 8 years ago), so I would never deny her of that. Frankly, no one ever in a million years expected her to EVER carry a baby. So esp in her family, this is a HUGE deal.

And yeah...this guest list is pretty much our wedding guest list, minus the kids. We had an adult-only reception. I think we're going to break up the gift opening throughout the day so it's not just one arduous task. I'm not keen on multiple showers, but that's just me for our situation. One and done for us!

My guess is that we invite the 120 and maybe 70-80 actually show. For some reason, all of the baby showers we go to are 50+ ppl. They're a pretty big deal around here I guess. Even the Sprinkles are big for goodness sake! Thankfully, we have excellent planners and hopefully everything runs as smooth as possible. We have enough to worry and stress about!

January 2nd, 2014, 06:06 AM
It's nice that your large families care so much and are doing this for you both. Congrats again to you both on your little miracle.
MrsPalumbo likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search