Hyphenated last name for our baby

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM
Regular
My partner was assuming that our baby will take his last name. I really like my last name and wanted to hyphenate it with his. Is this common? What do you think? Our last names are both short, 5 letters, So it's not too long.
January 1st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I grew up with a family where mom kept her maiden name and the kids were hyphentated with Dad's name then Mom's. It worked for them just fine
Round 2- 2013
Two failed Clomid cycles in May-June of 2013 followed by35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2014!
Born via planned C-section April 22nd,2014 due to being breech

January 1st, 2014, 01:19 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had DS DH and I weren't married yet, so he had a hyphenated last name until he started working at 18 at which time he changed it since DH and I and DD all had my husbands last name then (which I did only because then DH would have been the odd person out if DS, DD, and I all had hyphenated last names).
My DS's DD has a hyphenated last name as well.
I think it is all up to you and your partner and what you both want to do.

January 1st, 2014, 02:51 PM
Veteran
My daughter has 2 last names but we did not hyphenate. Her dad and I were not marred so both of us did not want to give up our last name for her. I thought it would make it easier for her to choose if she wanted to go to one or the other later on in life. Some places have her registered as just my last name others that go off birth certificate has both. She's fine and doesn't mind nor has asked why she has 2. I think family dynamics are so diverse now and days that kids don't even think twice about it! Hope this helps and just not a ramble!
January 1st, 2014, 03:10 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I think it is perfectly fine. I had a friend that merged her parent's last names together when she was 18 and took out the hyphen, but she never had issues with having a hyphenated last name. Heck, my DD's pedi in Utah had a hyphenated last name. It is getting to be a lot more common.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

January 1st, 2014, 04:28 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Personal choice. Go with what you like!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search