Big baby?

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By amedawn
  • 3 Post By mommy2b43
  • 5 Post By Gray_baby
  • 4 Post By MKnaomi
  • 1 Post By AnnaBonana

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2014, 12:09 PM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone else being told that baby is big?!
I was at l&d last week for decreased fetal movement and the on call ob said she is a big baby. And at my ob appt today the doctor said the same thing!

Dd was 6lb8oz so they have me worried Bianca is going to be 9+ lbs!

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
March 19th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On monday Kasey was measuring 6lb 13oz that's at 36 weeks so yes he is a big baby too. Paige was only 5 lb 14oz at 39 weeks but I was not a diabetic then.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
March 19th, 2014, 12:31 PM
amedawn's Avatar Veteran
Um yeah, at my last ultrasound which was 35wks 5d she was measuring 7lbs 12oz...lol. I'm thankful they're inducing at 38wks, I'm terrified of trying to birth a 10+ pounder!!
LittleVera likes this.

March 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
DD was 9# but they told me she was going to be 7ish#. It is super speculative. Dorian is measuring the large size of average, hence the 39 week induction.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 19th, 2014, 12:56 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think they really know. Even ultrasounds are inaccurate at this point. They're just guessing..
geogeek, MrsPalumbo and LittleVera like this.
March 19th, 2014, 01:26 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Until my 32w appointment, LO was measuring on the smaller side of average. They were predicting a 6.5-pounder at birth. Then she caught up to average by their estimates (with an above-average head circumference - no surprise there! lol). I have GD, so of course they're watching to make sure she doesn't take a turn for the massive, but so far it doesn't look like it.

Then again, with her big sis they told me a week before she was born that I might need a C-section because she was so big. I can attest to her giant head (lol!), but otherwise she was a nice 7lb 4oz. My doc at the time has a reputation for natural childbirth, so the fact he was anticipating a c-section was a big deal (my mom had 5/6 natural, unmedicated births with him...one was an emergency cesarean). All based on an ultrasound estimate. Totally off!

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
March 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All along she has been measuring in the 95%. My last scan at 32.2 weeks estimated her at 5lbs 12ozs.

My girls were born at 37 weeks at 7lbs 4ozs and 36.2 weeks at 7lbs 2ozs so I expect about that again.
March 19th, 2014, 02:37 PM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know it is a guess-timate...
I really want to vbac, but they are freaking me out with all this huge baby talk! Haha

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
March 19th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran
All along they were saying LO is average since just gonna be long. At my Dr appt last week my Dr said she thinks the baby is big and doesn't want me going past 39 weeks. I'm wondering what I will here tomorrow...
March 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ds1 was 6 lbs at 33 weeks according to ultrasound. He was born at 40 weeks 8lbs 7 oz. Some people thunk that's big but I don't. It's just a guess and it's usually not too accurate. If they're saying that by just looking- there are many factors that can influence how big the baby looks. Amniotic fluidllevels, how the baby is laying/sitting, how you're carrying etc. Don't stress it.

March 19th, 2014, 06:00 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was actually told I'm measuring small on Monday which literally made me giggle. I definitely don't feel small! But anyway they said baby was measuring right at 6 lbs. however with ds they told me right around 38 weeks that he'd be 7 lbs and at 39 wks he was 8'1. Sooo I'm not getting my hopes up

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
March 19th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
An OB tried to tell me my first was "definitely over 9lb" when I was in labor with her. She ended up being only 7lb 6oz.

What do they mean by "big"? It's just a guess so no reason to schedule a c-section if you don't want to. This is a great link: Evidence Based Birth – What is the Evidence for Induction or C-section for a Big Baby?

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
March 19th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Super Mommy
the only comment I've heard is "small", which I'm fine with But I dont' think my midwives will guess, because they don't want to influence our mindset in labour. Even if a baby is 'big' many women can and do birth naturally just fine, you don't know until labour is happening how it will be. I've heard from some ladies that their largest (10 lb) baby was the easiest, the smallest was the hardest etc. There are SO many factors that determine how a birth will go, and I think mindset is a HUGE one. If you think you can do it, you're much more likely to succeed, no matter how big the baby. I don't think 8 lbs is big, I remember how tiny tiny my best friends little one was at 8 lbs, of course with all my talk, I still like them small. Mine so far haven't been over 7'9, I like it cus they stay in the bitty clothes for just a little longer. the 10 lb babies looked like giants next to mine. Reminds me of the 10-11 lb baby who was born at the same time as DD (I think he was like 12-14 lbs already at his 3 week appointment!!!) She had the fastest birth ever with him, they had to call the paramedics, and still didn't get to hospital, she gave birth in bed, the midwives, fire fighters and EMT all got there at the same time. They described her 'pushing' as more of an 'explosion' and he was born lol! So you just never know.
March 19th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
My midwife won't guess. At my last u/s (like 10 weeks ago), he/she was 97th percentile. Who knows now!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My midwife won't guess, either... But they've told me repeatedly that she is very average. I had to have a BPP done last week and at that time (37.5 weeks) she was 7.6. I figure my body knows how to grow a perfect baby for me. DH was twelve pounds t birth and I was over ten, so initially I was concerned about big. Now that I'm almost there, I don't really think about it any more.
MKnaomi likes this.
March 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM
isawastar's Avatar Super Mommy
On Monday at 36w3d my doctor said, "he's looking great, and he's a big baby!" He was estimated to be 6 pounds 14 ounces (and with the way he likes to throw that weight around I believe it!). He's long, too. If let go to 40+ weeks he'd be over 9 pounds, but he's getting evicted next week. The plan for a while has been between 37 and 38 weeks, thankfully.
March 21st, 2014, 02:34 PM
I was just told for the first time today that I may be carrying a big baby! I've always measured ahead but I'm 5'2 and my first OB said I was measuring ahead because my torso is short. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and the doctor guessed the baby was about 7.5lb-8lb, but she said it was the high end of normal, that it's always just a guess, and she's not concerned at all. I do have GD but my sugars have always been in target range so I'm not sure if that could contribute to a large baby or not!
March 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM
SarahSmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
last sunday (6 days ago) she was measuring 6lbs1oz at 35w6d. Is that "big" for that gestation? I dont even know?

March 22nd, 2014, 04:06 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Truely they were pretty spot on. They last measured her at our appointment a little over a week ago at just over 7 pounds and were predicting over 10 (like her sister) and then she came early at almost 8 pounds.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search