GBS test

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2014, 03:23 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
How many of you have gotten the group beta strep swab done? What are your results if you have them?

I found out at my appointment this morning that I am negative. I am really glad because at my hospital, if you are positive, you stay 48 hours. Now, it is normal delivery at 24 hours.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 20th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get tested next Wednesday.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
March 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just got tested and came out negative. It is such a relief because if I had tested positive, I'd be on the clock for pitocin as soon as my water broke, and if I had a quick labor and not enough time for antibiotics, I'd have to stay longer in hospital with baby.It's such a controversial thing anyways... If you google GBS protocol there are lots of things to do to change your outcome. I was doing a regimen of probiotics which is one of the ways to improve chances of being negative. Not sure if I just lucked out or if the probiotics actually helped.
March 20th, 2014, 03:53 PM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They swabbed me yesterday. I'll find out the results next week.

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
March 20th, 2014, 04:10 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
I'll be tested next Thurs. I was + with DD1 so you'd think I still would be, but it looks like women have had it during some pregnancies but not others? Wondering how that works. Heard it comes & goes in the body, but the most accurate time frame to test is within 5 weeks of delivery (hence testing between 35w & 37w). So I guess if it "goes" (and one tests negative) then it usually doesn't "come back" for at least 5 weeks? I'm confuzzled.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
March 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Super Mommy
I did my swab last apptmt. It's so ridiculously easy I don't get why docs bother to do it for patients some places. We either get sent home with the little baggie or do it in the bathroom and drop it off at the lab on our way home. I doubt I'm +, I think they would call to tell me. I'd have to have an iv inserted for that, I've managed to avoid them so far. Like never in my life have I had an iv.
March 20th, 2014, 04:14 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been GBS twice and am really hoping not to be this time for the same reason- I don't want to be in the hospital two nights again. I've been on and off probiotics the whole pregnancy (swallowing them made me nauseous for a while). Anna- how many were you taking? I've been taking two in the morning but thinking of upping it to a couple more throughout the day. I also don't want to be given the antibiotics because I think it increases my risk of yeast. Ugh. I get tested at my next appointment and I'm not looking forward to it...

Not to mention- it's not actually been proved that the antibiotics actually prevent anything! My doctor says I can just not do the test and then not have antibiotics but then they'll definitely keep us for 48 hours so I guess this way I have a chance...no way will I have time for antibiotics on my own if this one follows the same pattern as dd2's birth.
March 20th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Super Mommy
Got swabbed on Tuesday at my appointment. They said they'll let me know at the next appointment in 2 weeks.
March 20th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got tested at 32 weeks since my doctor expects me to go shortly after the cerclage comes out. It was negative. My hospital keep me for 48 hours regardless.
March 20th, 2014, 05:47 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got swabbed yesterday. Usually my Dr office calls if therebisba problem so I assume I'm negative since I didn't get a call. I'll find out for sure next week. Was negative with ds1 as well.

March 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I got tested last week and I'll find out at my appointment tomorrow, I'm really hoping it's negative as I am allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin. I know they'll find a different antibiotic to use but it seems like a hassle.
March 20th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Negative here again thank goodness. I got to swab myself this time...last time I had a resident and he did a little more than swab

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 20th, 2014, 06:29 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I expect they will do it at my appointment on Wed. (36w 5d). Thankfully I was negative with DS and am really hoping that I will be negative this time too. I don't want to have to worry about getting there early on for antibiotics.

March 20th, 2014, 07:01 PM
SarahSmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was supposed to get tested Monday but my appt was cancelled due to their computer system going down, so I will get tested at my 37 week appt this coming up monday. I was positive with my first pregnancy and negative with my second so I really have no idea what to expect this time around

March 20th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've just been taking one capsule morning and night, of the ones you keep in the fridge with a really high number of active cells. I'm going to continue taking them through delivery because its supposed to reduce likelihood of thrush as well.
March 20th, 2014, 08:33 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah- I have the refrigerated ones as well. They're so freaking expensive lol. I guess I'm going to up it to 3-4 times a day and maybe add some garlic pills in and use an apple cider vinegar rinse. I really don't want a positive!!!
March 20th, 2014, 09:44 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaaka View Post
Negative here again thank goodness. I got to swab myself this time...last time I had a resident and he did a little more than swab
OK...what?! Haha. Please explain.
Jessimaaka and MrsPalumbo like this.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
March 21st, 2014, 04:51 AM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
DW gets her test done at our appt next Wed. Fx it's negative!

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
March 21st, 2014, 05:18 AM
isawastar's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine was done a week ago, and I found out this week that I'm positive. What makes me nervous about it is that I'm allergic to penicillin, keflex, and sulfa... they have issues finding an antibiotic for me anyway! Meh. I'd be staying 48 hours regardless, so the results didn't change that for my hospital.
March 21st, 2014, 05:52 AM
April 13th 2014 :)
I've been swabbed twice....once at when I had a bleeding episode at 28 weeks, and then again and my last appointment at 35 weeks

Both were negative!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search