Nursing Covers

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kemper2.0
  • 2 Post By amedawn
  • 1 Post By love.our.logan579

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you plan to use one? Did you use one with previous babies?

I had 2, I think with DS, but we only made it about 3 weeks nursing so I didn't have a ton of opportunities/reasons to use it. I think I want one this time but I'm too cheap to pay for one at the moment. I just don't think I'll feel very comfortable nursing in public, at least not for a while. I have a lot of nerves/anxiety about successfully nursing this time so my personal comfort level with it is not great yet.

I might just try using receiving blankets but I don't think that will work as well.

March 21st, 2014, 07:36 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one from ds but I only used it to pump. I pumped in the car on the way to work and used it while I was at work too jic. I'm going to try to work up the nerve to NIP this time around but not sure

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
March 21st, 2014, 11:23 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one and used it with DS. By the time #2 was here I was a pro at staying hidden and only used a muslin blanket, if anything. I have no shame nursing in public as long as I am decently covered up so I don't sweat it. I doubt I will use mine this go around.
MKnaomi likes this.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

March 21st, 2014, 11:44 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
I never really got comfortable nursing in public, even though witnessing others doing so doesn't bother me a bit. Just a personal thing I s'pose. Still, I don't anticipate using a nursing cover. I, too, am "too cheap." Lol I rigged up a blanket with Helenna from time-to-time, but this honestly didn't make a huge difference in my comfort level in public, so I'd just try to brave it discreetly more often than not or find a comfortable private spot.

I totally relate to breastfeeding anxiety, btw. I had a really hard time with #1. Hoping that we get off to a much smoother start this time around. Good luck to you, mama.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
March 22nd, 2014, 12:29 AM
Super Mommy
I use mine when I'm out or other people are around. My little babies are fine with it, usually as they grow they get annoyed and will try to pull it off so that necessitates nursing privately sometimes, at least older babies nurse less often. I don't like using it honedrtly, it's so much essier getting a proper latch etc. Without stuff in the way. Pretty much I didn't wear a shirt for the first 6 weeks with ds lol! It was hot, summer, and I was at home just so you know. I know lots of women tho who use blankets or just whatever, my ring sling has a long 'tail' and I've used that before, when you are comfortable with nursing it does all get easier. My word of advice in general would be GET HELP!! And not just the nurses in the hospital, find a lactation consultant asap to deal with problems as they come. Imo that is the key to successful BF.
March 22nd, 2014, 07:02 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Never got an actual cover last time...tried using blankets for a bit when people came over. And then gave up lol. No shame here, so much easier without and DS would nurse MUCH better without.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 22nd, 2014, 08:17 AM
I think I will try to find one cheap somewhere since it will probably make me a little more comfortable at first. Hopefully I will get to the point where I don't need it fairly quickly. I feel a lot more well-prepared and determined this time so I have really high hopes that I will not give up and will be able to really nurse Magdalena. To this day I feel like I must have been starving poor DS for 3 whole weeks and I feel guilty for falling into all the booby traps when I should have known better. And I feel angry about the lack of good help from the hospital staff and the lack of a good support system in the community when I really needed it.

March 22nd, 2014, 09:19 AM
Regular
I don't know, I just plan on using a receiving blanket. Especially as a FTM I think trying to get it buttoned over my shoulder before Leah starts fussing wouldn't be an option, I'd be too nervous at first! And nervous won't do with breastfeeding

March 22nd, 2014, 09:21 AM
amedawn's Avatar Veteran
Udder Covers a code for a free one, you just pay shipping which I believe is like $12.

AMBABY314UC

I also have codes for free baby legs, sling, nursing pillow, carseat canopy, and cloth reusable breast pads. Let me know if anyone needs codes!!
MaggieLizer and Gray_baby like this.

March 22nd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawn View Post
Udder Covers a code for a free one, you just pay shipping which I believe is like $12.

AMBABY314UC

I also have codes for free baby legs, sling, nursing pillow, carseat canopy, and cloth reusable breast pads. Let me know if anyone needs codes!!

I think that's how I got one last time. I might do that again. I did see one at Burlington for under $10, I think, so I might go back and grab that one - but I'm sure it's not as cute as the Udder Covers ones. And I'm hoping to just come across a good deal on one in one of the local FB swap groups.

ETA: You know what never crossed my mind for some reason. I bet I could nurse in my Baby K'tan once I get the hang of it (the nursing, not the K'tan). Off to look it up!

Last edited by MaggieLizer; March 22nd, 2014 at 09:44 AM.
March 22nd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Justiah's Avatar Super Mommy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzgfHeQOxJA . I made mine this time super easy and I got to pick what ever style material I liked. If your into sewing you could try making one its a lot cheaper and they look great. If you want I can send you a picture of what it looks like done.

March 24th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had two Udder Covers. The first I lost somewhere so I ordered another. I preferred it to just a blanket because the top of the Udder Cover could bend so I could see baby while nursing, plus it allowed air flow so baby & I didn't get too warm.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
March 24th, 2014, 09:25 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I have an infinity scarf type one and a couple udder cover type ones. The udder covers were used when I was pumping. Since I pumped a lot, I had BM bottles on the go to avoid NIP. I will be nursing more in public this go around and I hope the infinity scarf one feels better than the udder cover one.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 24th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Super Mommy
I have a Hooter Hider and a friend just gave me an Udder Cover (the names of these things... Lol). I'm hoping it helps me BF in public without getting too stressed!
March 24th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've always just used a receiving blanket tucked into my bra strap, lol. I really try to stay modest when nursing for my own comfort but I've learned with both of the kids it's a pain to cover up sometimes. I often just wear a cami under my shirt so I can easily lift whatever shirt I have on while keeping my stomach & back covered & nurse without a cover. Between my cami & shirt there is literally nothing showing but I can better see baby & don't have to worry about baby kicking off the cover.
MaggieLizer likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search