You've got to be kidding me! (OT)

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By Moi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2014, 04:55 PM
isawastar's Avatar Super Mommy
DH is as excited as I am to have been told last week that we'd have a baby this week. He told management at his work so they'd not be caught off guard with his sudden disappearance from work, since they've known that I'm due in April and all.

The plan has been for him to work Monday then come and get me and take me to the doctor after work (he'll need to leave early). We'll find out if my induction is still set for Thursday or if it can be moved up to Tuesday. He has Tuesday and Wednesday scheduled off - those are our days to do final cleaning and getting ready around the house if we can't get things moved up. Thursday is the golden day mentioned last week for the induction, so after that he'd be on vacation for a while to stay home with me. He's waiting to get confirmation from our doctor before having his HR put him on official vacation.

Great plan, right?

Today two managers, approached him and asked him to work on Tuesday and Wednesday since he's planning on going on vacation after Thursday. When he told them that the baby might be here sooner (even if not induced, I could go into labor before then) and if not we needed those days to prepare, they got mad at him! The first who asked was upper management, and when he said no the store manager asked him herself, then got mad and snotty with him.

Seriously?
March 23rd, 2014, 05:23 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
If he has the ability to call off, he can do that! They shouldn't be getting mad at him for wanting to help you organize a bit before baby comes.
mariahpoo2 and LittleVera like this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 23rd, 2014, 06:18 PM
Super Mommy
Boo - annoying!
LittleVera likes this.
March 23rd, 2014, 07:48 PM
mariahpoo2's Avatar Veteran
OMG yeah they don't really have a leg to stand on. I believe you are legally aloud to take time off for family emergencies/ medical reasons. And this counts for sure. After all they came up to him and "asked" him to work those days. It seems like if they are asking then they know they just cannot scheduled him if he asked for time off for those reasons. Just like management to throw a fit to make you think you will be in trouble or on their bad side just to get what they want. Don't let them pressure him. Reassure him that he has the right to take that time off. Maybe even call the labor board to get a leg up if push comes to shove. It is always good to have the law on your side and waiting. I called the labor board myself when our boss was trying to withholding our last check for electricity, when she knew good and well that she owed us for way more then just our salary, plus it is illegal to with hold wages at all. As soon as I brought it up she seemed a little nervous but stood her ground. When I told her that we could call him on speaker right then and started dialing it was over. She caved and gave us our checks. They really just sound like bullies. And bullies cave when you stand your ground. *hugs* and good luck. Sorry you have to go through this. It is crappy that they would even try this kind of BS that would cause a pg mother stress. *hugs*
March 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM
isawastar's Avatar Super Mommy
I really wish we had other job options for him around here, but he's lucky to even have a full-time job. This place has messed with him so much though. He was a department manager when we found out I was pregnant, and ended up stepping down because he was afraid he'd get fired after inventory. They put him in one of the most physically demanding, busiest departments and then because of some issue the store manager had with his zone manager, cut his employees so he never had coverage for his department. During this time he also had several injuries and medical issues that prompted his doctor to send medical papers/orders to the store saying he needed moved somewhere he wouldn't have to lift so much, and that was denied. The HR was new when he stepped down and asked if his issues were due to lack of coverage - you can't run a department with 3 people!

So he took the fall for something that wasn't his fault on several issues because he was the easy one to pin it on, but since he breaks his back and goes above/beyond they always try to bleed more out of him. It really, really makes me mad. He comes home absolutely exhausted because now he's in a department with a manager who does nothing, so he's basically doing her job and his too. Which is exactly why they wanted him to come in on his scheduled days off - there won't be a whole lot accomplished until he goes back from vacation (they don't even have paternity leave).

This morning before he left he mentioned that his zone manager would probably ask him to come in, as well. He's not going to back down though. He has to be more sick of their BS than I am and this time is far too important.
March 24th, 2014, 12:13 PM
mariahpoo2's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawastar View Post
I really wish we had other job options for him around here, but he's lucky to even have a full-time job. This place has messed with him so much though. He was a department manager when we found out I was pregnant, and ended up stepping down because he was afraid he'd get fired after inventory. They put him in one of the most physically demanding, busiest departments and then because of some issue the store manager had with his zone manager, cut his employees so he never had coverage for his department. During this time he also had several injuries and medical issues that prompted his doctor to send medical papers/orders to the store saying he needed moved somewhere he wouldn't have to lift so much, and that was denied. The HR was new when he stepped down and asked if his issues were due to lack of coverage - you can't run a department with 3 people!

So he took the fall for something that wasn't his fault on several issues because he was the easy one to pin it on, but since he breaks his back and goes above/beyond they always try to bleed more out of him. It really, really makes me mad. He comes home absolutely exhausted because now he's in a department with a manager who does nothing, so he's basically doing her job and his too. Which is exactly why they wanted him to come in on his scheduled days off - there won't be a whole lot accomplished until he goes back from vacation (they don't even have paternity leave).

This morning before he left he mentioned that his zone manager would probably ask him to come in, as well. He's not going to back down though. He has to be more sick of their BS than I am and this time is far too important.
I am so outraged for you guys! *hugs* They really cannot do that. They cannot deny a Doctors orders. I would go to the labor board asap. They cannot fire him or demote him for going to the labor board either. They will make sure of it. I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. *hugs*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search