Are you making freezer meals?

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By geogeek
  • 1 Post By Moi
  • 1 Post By MaggieLizer
  • 1 Post By Tersh
  • 2 Post By Gray_baby
  • 2 Post By Leah1216
  • 3 Post By AnnaBonana
  • 1 Post By MKnaomi
  • 2 Post By MrsPalumbo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2014, 07:26 AM
SarahSmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anybody making freezer meals ahead of time? I would like to, but I never have before! Any ideas?

March 25th, 2014, 07:36 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Nope. I should. I just don't want to. I know the ladies at my church will feed us for at least 2 weeks. Plus my mom will be here for a week as well. I never did them with DD either.
LittleVera likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 25th, 2014, 08:08 AM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
I want to! Nel over in the May DDC posted pics and recipes of the ones she made and they look/sound awesome! I think DW and I will hunker down and do it around 37-38 weeks. No idea what to prepare though, any suggestions from those who have BTDT?!

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
March 25th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Super Mommy
DH makes a great lasagna, and when he does it, he ends up making 2 9x13 containers of it. I've put in a request for that figuring we'll freeze at least one of them. it actually tastes even better when reheated!
LittleVera likes this.
March 25th, 2014, 09:09 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We totally should but have no plans to. DH basically says trust him and he will make sure we are fed. lol. So I'm just going with that.
LittleVera likes this.

March 25th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I ended up not really making anything. I ended up using one thing a few weeks ago, when I couldn't muster dinner. I have one thing frozen. Friends and family have been bringing us food - we should be good for this week and part of next.
March 25th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I would love to but don't have the umph to go actually do it lol. I did go to costco and stock up on chicken and beef yesterday. DH is a great cook and will be home with us for a week. And then my mom will make stuff for us too. So I'm not overly concerned. I am dreading making dinner every day with a newborn attached to me (hopefully learning to nurse in my carrier!) and a 20 month old hanging off my leg.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 25th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran
We didn't make complete meals but we had a few starter kits ready to go. Starter kits for a few quiches which just required browning the pie crust and adding the mixture to bake. A huge pork to throw in the crock pot with a bottle of BBQ sauce that will last us days. Frozen fries and chicken nuggets if DD#! gets hungry/fussy. Lots of cereal and milk. In the end it wasn't really necessary. DH did a lot of cooking in his 10 days he had off and I am completely fine to cook now that he is back at work.
March 25th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Costco will be making our freezer meals. Lasagne, Shep's Pie, pasta, butter chicken, etc. Last two babies, I also found that prepared soups, buns, deli meats and veggie trays were the way to go. People brought stuff too, so it was never a worry.

I considered making a bunch, but I am far too tired and it's just as inexpensive and MUCH easier to get the Costco prepared casseroles.
MaggieLizer likes this.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

March 25th, 2014, 12:09 PM
isawastar's Avatar Super Mommy
We didn't - it's just DH here with me full time and he's been doing most of the cooking lately. We picked up some easy, quick stuff from the store yesterday and I'm sure his mom will bring us plenty of food for the first few days, at least. I think he's looking forward to me cooking again though haha
March 25th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely am! We live far from family and my DH is going to a course in another state early in May so I want to have some stuff on hand for after he leaves for sure. My mom is coming this weekend and she's going to make me a couple of pans of lasagna, plus we're going to make a few other meals. I like to freeze them in smaller portions so I'm not making a 9x13 casserole for just me and my 2 girls at once, smaller disposable pans are easier and less mess for me to clean.

A few ideas that I'm going to make:
baked ziti
goulash
potato soup
an enchilada casserole
and I've pinned a few other ideas on Pinterest that I'm thinking about
MKnaomi and MrsPalumbo like this.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
March 25th, 2014, 12:38 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one will bring us anything (well my mom probably will though I don't want her to because she's already dealing with so much!!) but our freezer sucks so the only things I keep in there are things we'll eat pretty quickly. Everything gets freezer burned pretty immediately. I'll probably get some extra chicken and sauces to make some easy crock pot meals. I have a lot of easy recipes so I'll just stock up on some ingredients that I can just throw together at the last minute. If our freezer was better I'd definitely throw together chicken fajita kits, meatloaf, Parmesan chicken, lasagna, chili, spaghetti sauce and/or meatballs. But I know it would all just get ruined!!
March 25th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a lot of chicken to make crock pot freezer meals. I have yet to actually out anything together. I really really should make a list of things we need and do it.

Pinterest has awesome ideas! Tons and tons of crockpot meals!
MKnaomi and MrsPalumbo like this.
March 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did. I'm done and it feels great. I have about fifteen dinners in total and they are all big enough for leftovers the following night. I'm also thrilled with how much everything cost-- I spent about $200 on that much food so hopefully the first month after the baby comes is a money saving month. I was feeling incredibly ambitious last week and went to my mother's for a day of baking, so we have packages made up f frozen cookies and muffins to serve is people come to visit after the baby. These are probably the only productive housewife things I've ever done, LOL.
Leah1216, MKnaomi and MrsPalumbo like this.
March 26th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Regular
I am planning on making quiche, lasagna, soup stock and power breast feeding cookies this weekend. DH does not cook so I need to do some prep ASAP.
March 26th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Super Mommy
I'm really behind where I was when I had DD (but I've kinda been busy!). hoping in my last two weeks to get a bunch put away, I'm hoping for 12, some that will stretch to leftovers. (Anna bonana you are doing GREAT!) Also some muffins and things, I always craved things like muffins that were easy to grab and eat sitting on the couch with one hand while nursing. I actually started crying when someone brought me baking with my first lol. Our church does have a meal program, several meals a week for the first month, which is SUCH a blessing.. but now I am in charge of planning it, and I just finished scheduling two girls who just had their babies this week, so our meal making pool will be low.. and I don't even have an expectation of anyone doing it for me since if I hadn't taken it on, noone would be doing it. I don't mind, I have a large, supportive family who all live near by and I know I'll get some meals from them without even asking, and if I can get some freezer meals in I'll be ok. Not everyone has that kind of support, and those ladies are the reason I volunteer. With freezer meals its just nice not having to think about what to make when getting used to baby, ESPECIALLY in the first two weeks (for me) when I need to concentrate all my attention on resting and getting baby to breastfeed well while getting my milk supply up up up. I find that time to be very very hormonal and emotional for me as well, way harder than any emotional stuff in pregnancy (not PPD level though, not even really baby blues, just anxiety and irrationality.) My 'obvious' staples are soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, sheperds pie, and marinated chicken dishes that can be thrown into the oven or crockpot. I did a ton of those before I got pregnant, getting ready for the 1st tri sickies, and developed a strong aversion to baked chicken dishes the only aversion that's lasted all the way through, so I can't do many of those even though I just got a whole lot of chicken on sale. I had to find new recipes that didn't make me want to hurl. It's super easy to find ideas and recipes, even if you're not on pinterest, just do a google search for 'freezer meals'.
AnnaBonana likes this.
March 27th, 2014, 10:52 AM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
I just found a bunch of recipes on Pinterest that I'm going to go over with DW tonight! I can't wait to get started!
Gray_baby and MKnaomi like this.

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search