I broke down at my Dr appt today...

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By MaggieLizer
  • 5 Post By mommy2b43
  • 2 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 4 Post By Gray_baby
  • 1 Post By LittleVera

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2014, 06:45 PM
amedawn's Avatar Veteran
So I realize the feelings I'm having are probably irrational, but being a ft mom, it is what it is. So today at my appt, my Dr was feeling of baby and she said she feels like she's on the large side and she wants a last minute ultrasound to see how much she's grown in the last 2 weeks. From there we will decide if I'm going to need a c-section. So not only is a c-section not in my labor plan, this is being sprung on me 2 days before I go in to be induced!!! I know having a c-section is not the end of the world, I just feel so unprepared because it's not been discussed at all, and being plus size, I know there are risks for me. I'm just an emotional mess and needed to vent. I guess we'll know tomorrow what the plan is.

March 25th, 2014, 07:07 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would definitely cause me some anxiety too. I'm sure you've heard it before, but weight estimates determined by ultrasounds at this stage can be off by a pound or more either way. And since you are a first-time mom, I think it would be unwise to assume you couldn't birth a larger-size baby since you haven't had an opportunity to try! I just don't like the whole "big baby = automatic c-section" mentality. I hope they don't try to push that on you unless it's truly necessary.

I'm plus size and go in for a BPP ultrasound tomorrow or no other reason than my weight (I'm not even high risk!) I'm kind of worried what they will tell me about her size. I think they're expecting me to have a bigger baby because of my weight gain but my instinct is telling me she will be smaller/average. So whatever estimate they give me, I'm not sure how much stock to put in it.

Good luck and I hope the ultrasound results are fine tomorrow and you can go ahead with your induction.
krissy1989, MKnaomi and MrsPalumbo like this.

March 25th, 2014, 07:14 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second the idea of inaccuracy of ultrasounds. I would not agree to a csection just based on possible size. If there's a medical reason for a csection- sure. But, if it's just because they think you may end up with one because you have a big baby in there!! I almost might even refuse the ultrasound but I'm contrary and my doctor is used to that lol
March 25th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Sorry they are raising your stress level for no reason Large babies are really not a valid reason for a c-section...if you don't feel comfortable, don't go to the u/s - like Michele said, u/s estimates can be wildly off. I hope that it doesn't come to that though

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 25th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Someone else posted a link before on suspected big babies -- most of them turn out to be perfectly average because of how off the estimates tend to be. I hope you're able to come to a decision you're comfortable with either way!

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
March 25th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also agree that estimated size of a baby should not require a csection. Edens growth scan at 36 weeks estimated her to be 6.5 pounds that day. That was her birth weight two weeks later. You should at least get a TOL.
March 25th, 2014, 07:44 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be angry and I would probably get a second opinion. I've said this many times before but my DS1 was estimated at 6 lbs at 33 weeks gestation. That should have put him well over 9 lbs and almost 9.5 lbs by 40 weeks. He came out at 8 lbs 7 oz which is much much smaller than I was expecting. I was a 9 lbs baby so he seemed very small to me. lol. Big babies are no reason for a cs. My dr has a similar policy (auto section if baby is measuring 9.5 lbs or more) which is the reason I was induced with DS1. I would be getting a second opinion this time around if he tried to pull that with me again.

March 25th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran
I agree with all the other ladies. Why do you have to have a c section if your baby is big?? I know girls short petite girls who have pushed out large babies. If anything your size should make you able to handle a big baby!I'm also plus size and my Dr never once mentioned a c section because my LO might be large. I would push back on the Dr and let them know that you want to attempt vaginal. If there is stress on the baby or a health risk to either of you during then you will consider a section but otherwise you are set on vaginal. Good Luck, keep us updated!
March 25th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Yes, I agree seems very odd that they are jumping to c-section talk. At 40 plus 2 days with my first, they told me "large" and she was 7 pounds, 15 ounces. So try not to fret and definitely stand up for yourself!

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

March 25th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Super Mommy
Agree with the other ladies. The possibility - not certainty since as everyone has mentioned the ultrasound estimates are often off - of having a big baby shouldn't lead to the conclusion that you need major surgery. I'd ask for a second opinion or just stand that you're not having a c-section unless it's medically necessary. Good luck!
March 25th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Veteran
I am surprised they would want to jump straight to the c-section based on a size estimate alone. I had an ultrasound the morning of my c-section. They estimated her to be 7 lb 7oz and she was only 6lb10oz!
March 25th, 2014, 08:52 PM
SarahSmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you refuse the c-section?

March 25th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yikes! Check out this article from Evidence Based Birth - Evidence Based Birth – What is the Evidence for Induction or C-section for a Big Baby?

Try not to stress. Feeling your stomach is not an accurate way to guesstimate size. I had an OB tell me when I was in labor with my first that my baby was "at least 9lb". I laughed at him. My baby was 7lb 6oz. Not exactly 9lb.

Plus, you are well within your legal rights to say "No thank you" to a c-section. They can't force you into one and ethically at this late stage in your pregnancy they can't drop you as a patient.

There are many women who are told they can't birth big babies and have c-sections, only to go on to birth larger babies later. Check out this video about CPD (basically big babies/small pelvis):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFVkDV45MM

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here

Last edited by Gray_baby; March 25th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.
March 25th, 2014, 10:40 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Totally understandable that you'd feel overwhelmed under the circumstances. They kinda threw you a fastball at the last minute! I'm with the ladies above on this one. I understand, though, that it can cause anxiety just to confront your doc about something so crucial while time ticks away, so I would suggest that you approach her in a way that feels comfortable. Maybe start by refusing the ultrasound and simply asking that you go forth with the induction plan and play the possibility of c-section by ear. Whatever feels most comfortable to you, mama. Big hugs! Nothing should dampen this experience for you. Vent away.
MrsPalumbo likes this.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
March 26th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs mamma. Do what is best for you and baby and hang in there. And as a non-FTM I'd have those feelings as well.

March 26th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just don't understand why some OB's jump straight to c-sections like that (for "size" reasons anyway). Modern medicine is such an amazing thing & I'm so thankful that we all as women have that avenue if it's what is best for mom & baby; however, I don't think it should be a first choice.

Women's bodies are amazing, we were created to do this! Your body will really surprise you. I'm pretty small framed & naturally birthed a 8lb 8.2oz baby & a 9lb 1.5oz baby. I personally know ladies who have naturally given birth to 10+ lbers & they are also smaller framed.

Maybe talk to your OB more about how it's something you would like to avoid unless it's absolutely necessary?

March 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Everyone else already said everything I would have said! No, no, no to a c/s simply based on estimated size alone! It's not like they've taken an xray of your pelvis and measured it to see what the maximum size baby is that your body can push out. I know a girl about my size (I'm 5'4'', medium framed) who gave birth naturally to a 10-lb baby boy - that kid looked huge! LoL! But she did it no problem. Who's to say that your body can't birth a similarly sized baby, unless you're given the chance to attempt it?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Chiming back in to wish you luck on tomorrow! C-section or induction, you get to see your baby soon. Sending positive vibes! Please update us when you get the chance.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search