Pineapples!

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
mariahpoo2's Avatar Veteran
Yesterday I bought a pineapple. I heard that they are another natural inducer/ labor readyer. Before eating it today I looked up what exactly it does. Pineapple along with mango, and kiwi contain en enzyme called bromelain that is supposed to work like a prostaglandin, ripening and softening the cervix however bromelain will also cause contractions. But they have to be eaten fresh. Canned does not have the enzyme. From the testimonials I read it works great if you are already soft and a bit dilated. And like really great. Most people went into labor that day if they ate the fresh fruit. The juice works too but some woman had to drink it for weeks... and I don't think they were soft, effaced or dilated any. Some woman said that it didn't work at all. Many of those woman had not progressed at all before hand tho. I am thinking it works as a catalyst if you are somewhat ready. I almost ate that thing today! I am so glad I read about it first. DH has a shoot tomorrow. and work though the week. His work is kinda "on call" so we have to take what he can get. I plan to eat the whole pineapple Saturday. I love kiwis too so we might go buy some and make a lovely fruit salad.

Now I figure that it will work pretty good on me considering I already have contractions and I am soft and thin. So FX we will be in labor Saturday or Sunday. I will be 38.5 weeks and I think that is pretty good. I have had just a horrific pg with all the pain and discomfort. So I want to move on and meet my beautiful Kayla.
April 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with you!! I am ready. I'm only 36 weeks though so I've got a bit I guess but my body got me all psyched to be delivering a baby any time and now I'm just not so sure lol. I have been craving pineapple but refrained from eating any in case it caused really early labor...I think I can give in this weekend though...
mariahpoo2 likes this.
April 2nd, 2014, 01:21 PM
I really don't think it would send anyone into early labor unless they are all ready at risk for pre-term. That being said... it is a little stronger at softening and thinning the cervix the EPO plus it does give you contractions. So I wouldn't pig out on fresh pineapple. But you could eat canned without a problem.
anjewellove likes this.
April 2nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Yeah- after tomorrow all bets are off IMO I figure if he wants to come now- he's gotta be ready. I've lost more and more plug which would be one thing but I contract all night long and even just standing now to make dinner made me lose *more* plug and I sat/lay down all day. My doctor said I could try to rest but really if he's going to come- he's probably going to come regardless. Only 3 more days until 37 weeks anyway and my girls both came on their own at 38! That said, I'm giving in to the pineapple craving the next time I'm at Costco lol they sell a whole huge box of it. I am torn like I've said because I'm ready to not be pregnant anymore but I really didn't expect him to come early and I don't feel completely ready lol
April 2nd, 2014, 02:26 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love pineapple! Might have to try this sometime soon!

April 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eeep. I got pineapple on my pizza today in hopes that it would do something. *FAIL* I'll go try getting a fresh one to eat tonight now. I'm beyond done lol
LittleVera likes this.
April 2nd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
I read somewhere that you need something like 7 pineapples to produce any effect. That said, eating fresh pineapple can't hurt! The stuff closest to the core is supposed to be best for labour.
LittleVera likes this.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

April 2nd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I ate whole fresh pineapples with tajin spicy powder. It worked. I ate one on a Tuesday then another one on a Thursday. I gave birth on Sunday.
LittleVera likes this.
April 2nd, 2014, 05:30 PM
Bekki's Avatar Veteran
I want to eat a pineapple, but I'm thinking with gd it's not the best idea. Darnit

Thank you, Claire1979, for the siggy!
April 2nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I'm allergic Otherwise I'd have been scarfing it down!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 2nd, 2014, 06:38 PM
I really freaking want some pineapple lol...regardless of labor inducing ability!
LUSHaye, mariahpoo2 and LittleVera like this.
April 2nd, 2014, 07:36 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
I want to eat a pineapple, but I'm thinking with gd it's not the best idea. Darnit
GD here, too. Debating whether to risk dabbling once I'm nearer induction. Will have to ask doc. Probably wouldn't feel comfortable consuming enough for desired effect, though.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
April 2nd, 2014, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
I have GD too. I just use it as the carb portion of each meal and snack and it should work out fine. I ate it all the time when I got diagnosed with my meals (did I mention I LOVE pineapple) and my sugar levels were fine. But I am well controlled with diet portions.
April 2nd, 2014, 11:33 PM
Super Mommy
Good info! I think I will be making some tropical fruit salad next week!
April 3rd, 2014, 04:40 AM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
My cousin's fiance was a due on Feb 2 and closing in on her due date. At her last appt the dr said the baby probably wouldn't be coming until around Valentine's Day. She was sooo disappointed and discouraged. She was only 1 1/2 cm dilated and had been for a while. I told her to eat a whole fresh pineapple on Jan 30 and don't you know, she went into labor late that night and had her baby girl the next afternoon! DW is definitely going to be trying this in a couple of weeks!

Side note: DW was craving pineapple in the beginning and it was the only thing that helped with her constipation from the progesterone suppositories. We had no idea about the bromelain then and she was eating fresh pineapple almost every day. I found out about the bromelain when I was lurking on another forum and freaked! I called the Dr's office and they treated me like a total idiot like I was just being crazy. The nurse even went so far as to say, "I've never heard of this in my life. If pineapple really did those things, don't you think it would be on the list of food items to stay away from during pregnancy?" I wanted to jump through the phone and punch her.
krissy1989 and mariahpoo2 like this.

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
April 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
PinkHurricane's Avatar Super Mommy
I am going to have to get some fresh pineapple. I hope that will help aid me in my quest to have this baby on my own before my induction date in two weeks!
mariahpoo2 likes this.
April 3rd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I decided I'll be the DDC Guinea Pig, and bought a pineapple and ate all but about a bite this morning. I love pineapple, but not a whole pineapple. Lol. It's been about 12 hours since I've had it, and other than a bit of a belly ache, I don't have any new labor signs YET. Not giving up hope just yet though.
krissy1989 and MrsPalumbo like this.
April 4th, 2014, 10:34 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
With all the contractions I've been getting, and the fact that my cervix is soft and dilated 1.5 cm, I'm wondering if this might work. This is actually one natural induction method I've never tried before with either of the boys. I'll probably wait till 38.5 weeks at the earliest (Monday). Or at least until I have all her laundry done. LOL
MKnaomi and LittleVera like this.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
April 4th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Make sure to read the birth story about puking pineapples first! LOL. Just kidding. I'm sure of all the things to puke, pineapple comes on the nicer end of the scale!

I ate an entire pineapple last night. Was hoping mostly for some digestive "cleaning out" and any labour would have been a bonus. No such luck on either.
krissy1989 and LittleVera like this.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

April 4th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Veteran
I ate probably half a pineapple the day before I went into labor... no idea if it was a coincidence I just know it was so good I couldn't stop eating it & got mad when DH tried to eat some lol
mariahpoo2 and LittleVera like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search