I have to confess...

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2014, 05:50 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I like breastfeeding. I mean as long as it doesn't hurt I'm okay with it and I like not buying formula. And, I'm glad he's doing it because I think it's good for me emotionally. But, I don't actually enjoy it and I still think formula feeding is 20 times easier. Actually I know it is because in order to formula feed all you do is whip out a bottle and really anyone can do the feeding. I can hand the baby off to dh and say "ok see ya in 3-4 hours" especially at night (I don't really leave the kids much because all my friends have kids so we just do play dates lol).

Anyway, so what's something you're "supposed" to like about having a newborn that you're just not a huge fan of?
April 29th, 2014, 06:16 PM
amedawn's Avatar Veteran
Well since breast feeding unfortunately didn't work out for us we're formula feeding, and I already have an aversion to milk, so to have this little that spits up and drools formula is so hard! The smell makes my stomach turn. I find myself giving her sponge baths like 3 times a day lol. So needless to say I do not look forward to feedings. Why did formula have to smell so bad??

Oh and completely off topic but Jamie, the burp cloths you got me are Ah-maaaazing. I need like 5 more!
mommy2b43 likes this.

April 29th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I love them too- my SIL made me a bunch when I was pregnant with my first and they are now my go to baby gift. They're perfect for dealing with baby spit up and so soft!! I'm so glad you're enjoying them
April 29th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Breastfeeding for me was a horror show that resulted in my nipples looking like ground beef by day six. Oh my Lord. Needless to say, I did not enjoy that experience. I feel badly, and I do wish I could. I have tried latching her on with a nipple shield since then but pumping is going well and I figure why put myself through the agony?

But-- I agree with you on how easy formula would be. I wonder if I will formula feed my next? I can't imagine just waking up every day, making the supply of bottles, and poof! Off to the races. Pumping and feeding is great and all but being attached to this machine has its drawbacks!

As far as enjoying-- I don't enjoy being in the car with her. I think I got the only baby in the world who hates car rides. I'm scared to go farther than 20 mi uses away because she screams the whole time and it is just not enjoyable.
April 29th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Oh and I formula fed my first two and know exactly what you mean. It smells and it's gross but I still think it's easier than breastfeeding if it makes you feel better, Max doesn't spit up and he still smells a little like sour milk
April 29th, 2014, 06:51 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Only thing easier about bfing is at night if you're the only one feeding anyway. I'd rather just pull my boob out then have to go make a bottle other than that, you're right it's hard. But it's what's best for baby so I try my best. Plus I'm cheap and formula is crazy expensive!! It also makes me feel good that I'm doing something a lot of moms choose not to or quit since it's hard. Not saying everyone who doesn't BF chose that, I know it doesnt always work! I had supply issues with ds and am already worrying about it this time since she hasn't reached her birthweight yet.
MKnaomi likes this.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
April 29th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
I'm not really enjoying it this time either - this little guy has a very bad latch. I always supplemented my other two about 10% of the time just to give myself a break and will likely do so with Joey as well. However, I find formula feeding more of a pain! You don't get a free hand like you do when nursing, and warming a bottle in public is a nuisance, esp. With an impatient and hungry babe. So, I prefer BF to FF for the convenience factor!

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

April 29th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in the same boat as you. I like the saving money and that its healthier for him but it is really a pain I the butt. I have to make sure I have a bottle in the fridge for hubby when I go to bed if I'm out I have to worry about feeding in public. Bottle feeding is so much easier.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
April 29th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I feed my babies room temperature bottles so it's no big deal and dh did all the night feedings with the last one or at least most. Blegh. Oh well. I think maybe I'll enjoy it more when it stops hurting and if I ever get to a point where every twinge or itch doesn't make me freak out that I have yeast!
April 30th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never had an easy time breastfeeding. Probably why I have never done it that long. Add in going back to work early and it really is hard. I am already supplementing but, decided I'll keep it up as long as I can. Formula is crazy expensive but, it is so much easier for me working 3 jobs and driving the other 2 children around.
April 30th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Veteran
I do not like bath time! Brantley hates it and screams like I am purposely tying to inflict pain! Baseline you with my last DD with breastfeeding and chose to not do it this time. I still so all of the feedings though... I'm scared someone isn't going to burp him right, etc.
April 30th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Super Mommy
I will echo everyone else! I hate breastfeeding! It's so time consuming, mildly uncomfortable, and frustrating that it's all on me. I prefer pumping because at least then I know how much I'm getting and DH can do half the feedings.

Bath time is rough too. Logan's not a huge fan. And as soon as I get him dressed in clean clothes, he likes to spit up all over himself again. He forever smells like sour milk. It's lovely.

Logan Connor - March 3, 2014
5 weeks early and absolutely perfect
April 30th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Super Mommy
I actually hate bottle feeding.. like a LOT. I find bfeeding worlds easier... once it's going well and they are bigger. I think cus I've done it succesfully long term before I know how easy it can get, if I measured my experience just by the first month or two i wouldn't think that way, but I know when I'm only nursing, and not worrying about them sleeping too long or not gaining or what not, bfeeding at night is such a breeze, I literally don't even wake up, I pick the baby out of their bed beside me, feed and put them back down without even opening my eyes. Right now it's feed, concentrating on getting a good latch and compressing to get the milk out, then prepare bottle, wait for it to cool while baby screams, and maybe change a diaper and then feed the bottle, and burp and deal with spit up. SUCH a pain. If I could just Bfeed in the day, it would be easier also, since I'm at home with the kids there is no one to hand off baby to with a bottle anyway, and I could learn how to nurse in a sling, standing up, while reading to the kids, etc. with the bottle I have to concentrate and sit still since she has a hard time latching onto the bottle for some reason sometimes. temperature is a big factor too, if it's not warm enough she refuses it, cus the milk doesn't come out as easy. Oh and there is the warming of the milk and the cleaning of the bottles and the expense and transporting the bottles when we go out and and and.
I can't wait till all this milk supply nonsense is worked out and we are able to just Bfeed with no worries!

In general I just hate Post partum/newborn stage. I mean I love my baby, she is SO worth it, but I think I like them older, when they are bigger, more stable and the constant worry subsides some. And sleeping is a bit more regular, they have regular predictable naps etc. plus established wake times when they smile and coo and do cute things. I hear a lot of people say the newborn stage is their favourite.. but those people are usually grandmas or aunties who get to hold the baby while they sleep then pass them off when they need anything. It's NOT my favourite!
April 30th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since I've spent the last couple of days with bruised nipples and trying to correct a bad and very forceful latch, I'm not a fan of breastfeeding right now either. Thankfully with lots of lanolin, and pumping my left side all day with no nursing on that side I think I'm finally making improvements.

The first couple of weeks always suck for me but after that it's so easy.

I hate changing diapers. Yuck. And what a pain in the butt, there's just do many.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
April 30th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I definitely thought bfing would be easier the second time, especially as far as supply is concerned but unfortunately I was wrong. I feel like I'm struggling with supply way earlier than I did with ds!! I just thought I'd be a milk machine this time since I just finished bfing ds a couple years ago. I was wrong!! Hopefully I can change that and she'll put some weight on but fighting supply issues is my least favorite part!

May 1st, 2014, 02:28 AM
I think I have to change mine to I don't enjoy feeding baby period after reading mk's I hate burping baby- none of mine want to anyway and spit up is gross! I will always maintain bottle feeding is easier but I've done it twice and had no problems whereas breastfeeding has always been a big pain. It's going much better this time though.

I'm actually one of those crazy people who loves the newborn phase- I mean not the sleep deprivation or the struggles with ppd (luckily avoided this time) but the little teeny baby part I find each phase of childhood comes with.it's own positives and minuses. My almost 3 year old slept better as a newborn than she does now lol
May 1st, 2014, 08:32 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep726 View Post
I definitely thought bfing would be easier the second time, especially as far as supply is concerned but unfortunately I was wrong. I feel like I'm struggling with supply way earlier than I did with ds!! I just thought I'd be a milk machine this time since I just finished bfing ds a couple years ago. I was wrong!! Hopefully I can change that and she'll put some weight on but fighting supply issues is my least favorite part!
I know what you mean. Here I am with my third baby and I'm beginning to suspect supply issues. I know I've been unconsciously delaying feelings are cutting them short due to the pain from his latch issues (which I think are getting better) and so my supply is down. I'm going to pump more regularly and up my calorie in take. Those things helped dramatically when I had issues with my first baby.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
May 1st, 2014, 10:16 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I'll confess that I'm not loving the newborn stage anymore. Colic sucks. And is sucking the life out of me at night. Plus their little digestive systems with spitting up and gas isn't lovable either. I must say right now I can't wait until she gets to 3 or 4 months old and has hopefully outgrown the colic (or if she could do it now that'd be great and we could go back to enjoying the NB stage).

May 1st, 2014, 10:36 AM
Awww that sucks. I think I'd feel the same way if he had colic. Sometimes I wish I could just put him down for a while! He has wanted to be held and/or fed constantly lately. I really need to do laundry so it gets frustrating.
May 1st, 2014, 06:13 PM
I am so sorry Therese! That has to be so rough. Hope she gets over it soon . Probably a dumb question but have you tried different formulas? I've heard of people going through 7/8 kinda before finding something that works.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search