Pacifiers and Breastfeeding

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
How many use pacifiers while bf? How old did you introduce them? Positive /negative experiences? Did they create problems?
May 3rd, 2014, 01:54 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I waited until 3 weeks with my first, and it took him a long time to want it. Eventually he took to it (never interfered with bfing) and I was able to have a little break here and there from being a human pacifier! He weaned himself from the binkie around 12 months old and continued to nurse for another 2 years.

With my second, since his latch was so good and I had no supply issues, we introduced one at just a couple days old. He took to it right away, was also easily weaned from the binkie at 12 months, and nursed till age 2.

We introduced the binkie on day 2 with Chloe, too. Her latch and interest in nursing are great, so I had no worries. She hasn't been confused at all. I'm hoping that she weans from it just as easily as the boys did. I'm glad she took to it though, because I definitely can't be a human pacifier when I have two other children to attend to!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 3rd, 2014, 02:50 PM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We gave it to Cece right away because she clearly wanted to suck on something even when she wasn't hungry. It doesn't seem to have interfered. She's breast feeding like a champ.

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

May 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
The first two, we gave it to them in the hospital. I'm not really sure if it interfered with breastfeeding - I don't think so. It was mainly used for car trips.

With this one, we delayed a bit, but my LC said to try using one to encourage his tongue muscles. He wasn't (still isn't) using his tongue like he should to latch and suck. She said a soother would help cause he would have to work to keep it in.

FTR - it's not really working, he just lets it fall out and then screams for it.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

May 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used one right away. I have a shallow latcher but I think that has to do with him being tiny not the paci. He won't take the pacifier for me anyway so dh is the only one who uses it.
May 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Super Mommy
We gave DD one after about the first week. It never interfered with bfeeding at all. She was a super fussy baby so it was a lifesaver. Otherwise she would have been attached to my boob 24/7! She always had multiple suckies with her and at night when she was a bit older she would sleep with one in her mouth and two in each hand lol. I was super worried about taking them away.....but at about 14 months we made them dissapear and she quit cold turkey! The first 24 hours were rough then she never asked for them again. All in all it was super easy.

May 3rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
We used one right away. I have a shallow latcher but I think that has to do with him being tiny not the paci. He won't take the pacifier for me anyway so dh is the only one who uses it.
What does a shallow latcher mean? How would you describe that to someone?
May 3rd, 2014, 05:53 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
DS1 got one at about 2 weeks - he really needed to suck and he kept explosive vomiting. Once we introduced the paci, no more spit up. He also gained fine. At about 6 months he only got it naps and bed. At 20 months, he's still the same, just nap and bed...not sure how we'll get rid of it :/

Levi got one starting at about 3 weeks to give me a break. But he hates it, I use it to give me an extra 3 minutes to go pee, or get DS1 settled so I can nurse etc. So I don't think he'll be a paci-man. He does however enjoy sucking on his fingers, so we'll see what happens.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 3rd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
None of my kids willingly take them. I introduced Eden still in the hospital. She will suck on it if I hold it in her mouth,but she is usually pissed that it isnt her boob.

My middle son was a thumb sucker. Eden seems like she could head that way too.
May 3rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started one on day 2 with ds and immediately with Kinley. They've both latched fine and I bfed ds for 6 months. I have had some weight gain issues with both but I seriously doubt that has to do with paci use. I mean a baby knows the difference between skin and plastic!! And if anything is coming out. My milk did take a little longer to come in this time which I do think could be because of the paci. But it kept me sane, I was much better emotionally the first week this time.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
May 4th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've used them with all 3 babies from day 1. No issues with nipple confusion etc. (my girls both BF for a year each). My DD2 wasn't a big fan but she would take it occasionally, Lucas will use it to fall asleep sometimes but spits it out eventually. My DD1 was obsessed with her binky and would wake up if it fell out of her mouth, she lived that thing until she was over 3. Lol.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
May 4th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I using the hospital ones. Are there pacis that your babies liked better? I am looking for a night solution when she wants to nurse for hours. Doubtful she will take it , but worth a try if there is a magic pacifier.
May 4th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlynn View Post
What does a shallow latcher mean? How would you describe that to someone?
It's where the baby doesn't take enough of the breast in his mouth. So, basically he's just gnawingon my nipple. He's getting better and opening his mouth wide. However, when he's done eating he will pull off so he's just getting the nipple again...it doesn't allow for efficient feeding as well as being painful!!
Rahlynn likes this.
May 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use nuk pacis cause they're lighter and more contoured to her face. They stay in way better than the soothies or ones from the hospital. They're also supposed to be better for bfing.

I meant to add that it was no problem taking Carter's away. Around 8/9 months we went down to just naps and bedtime and at about 18 months when he was down to just one nap we just took it away one day. He never called it anything so he couldn't ask for it. He fussed more than normal for a few days but we never went back.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
May 4th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran
Seems I'm the only non-paci user. I bf on demand. I am also tandeming.
May 4th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have used Avent pacifiers with all three babies. The hospital have us a soothie this time but Lucas didn't like it, he's ok with the Avent 0-3 month sized. It's really a last resort type of thing - I nurse on demand. He has trouble with passing gas and/or pooping, and sucking on the pacifier seems to help him work it out sometimes if he's done nursing.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
May 4th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Anyone else have a situation where the baby will take the paci from dh but not you? He will not even humor me with it- he's like um yeah no- I know you've got what I want..
May 8th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Regular
I introduced the smoother right away to develop her sucking skills. She takes the bottle, breast and soother so it is nice to have options. I feel like Carys would be sucking her thumb is I didn't give her a soother and I only use it for diaper changes/crying fits etc. I have been using the hospital ones but I will try some other types. Is nuk the best?
May 8th, 2014, 10:22 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ds1 would not take one. Ever. He refused bottles as well. It took me a long time to get him to use a sippy even. I introduced a pacifier within the first week to baby E. He wanted to comfort nurse/suck but my oversupply caused too much milk to come out. He didn't want milk- just to suck. So I give him one when he is looking for that. Usually once a day for an hour or so. Then he spits it out. No issues with bfing from it so far.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search