It's been the best of times... the worst of times... acid reflux is evil

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ellies_mom
  • 2 Post By Christeacher
  • 1 Post By lovemyleah

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Super Mommy
I haven't been around because life has been stressful with a baby with major acid reflux. I spend my days and nights trying to sooth a screaming baby. Poor Xavier and I are exhausted! Even as I type this he is screaming on my shoulder. Poor little guy... It's been going on for over a month and progressively getting worse.

Gripe water hasn"t been helping neither has Ovol drops but still using them both.
The Doctor started him off on Xantac 0.5ml twice a day, then 1ml twice a day, then 1ml three times a day. I found the xantac wore off 3-4 hours after he took it.

A few days ago we switched to prevacid and today the Doctor had us switch from Similac Advance to Enfamil.

It's been a rollercoaster and there is no end in sight. Anyone else having reflux issues???

Congratulations to all the April babies

June 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
July 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy
October 2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

After 15 long years, and many losses, our miracle is here!
Xavier arrived 8 weeks early on February 9th, 2014 <3

Follow me to my Blog at http://islandangel.blog.com
May 8th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Super Mommy
My first had it super bad and the only thing that helped was Ranitadine (sp?). Im surprised they havent put him on it yet!
shirley_ann likes this.

May 8th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran
Lurking from october. My foster son screamed and screamed and screamed all day. He had reflux and was on prevacid... But it only took a small edge off. After being told by the doc that it was his "personality" to scream in pain. ..I requested/demanded a referral to a pediatric gi doc. Turns out my little guy had a severe milk allergy and had to be put on elecare formula...I had a happy smiley baby after that. So just a thought it might not be all reflux.
shirley_ann and Boos Moo like this.
May 8th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christeacher View Post
Lurking from october. My foster son screamed and screamed and screamed all day. He had reflux and was on prevacid... But it only took a small edge off. After being told by the doc that it was his "personality" to scream in pain. ..I requested/demanded a referral to a pediatric gi doc. Turns out my little guy had a severe milk allergy and had to be put on elecare formula...I had a happy smiley baby after that. So just a thought it might not be all reflux.
So glad you figured out what causing his pain. If I see no improvement by next week I will change his milk to soy. It is hard to play the guessing game of what to try... If we don't get relief soon I may have to ask for a referral.

May 8th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so in the same boat right now Shirley. And it SUCKS! We just got diagnosed yesterday with silent reflux. They put her on Omeprazole so we just started it this morning. One thing our pedi told me was that a lot of babies who don't tolerate milk formulas don't always do well on a soy formula either and if we were to switch again (we've tried 3 different formulas so far) to go on the kind (I forget the name) that is soy/dairy free. We spent part of today elevating her bassinet and co-sleeper and changing pad so she doesn't lie flat unless we put her on the playmat area for play time. Truely has been screaming it seems like months, but I think it's been about 3 maybe 3 1/2 weeks now. At first we thought it was because of the gas and switched to a 'gentle' formula on the recommendation of the pedi NP, but after some time on that and trying gas drops and gripe water it seemed to get worse. So we tried a 'sensitive' formula. But still no luck. Big hugs as I know how frustrating it is to not be able to figure out what can help them when they are screaming. I hope we find some relief. Our doctor said the colic was just going to have to be outgrown, but hopefully the meds will help with the reflux and that will help with the colic.

May 8th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos Moo View Post
I'm so in the same boat right now Shirley. And it SUCKS! We just got diagnosed yesterday with silent reflux. They put her on Omeprazole so we just started it this morning. One thing our pedi told me was that a lot of babies who don't tolerate milk formulas don't always do well on a soy formula either and if we were to switch again (we've tried 3 different formulas so far) to go on the kind (I forget the name) that is soy/dairy free. We spent part of today elevating her bassinet and co-sleeper and changing pad so she doesn't lie flat unless we put her on the playmat area for play time. Truely has been screaming it seems like months, but I think it's been about 3 maybe 3 1/2 weeks now. At first we thought it was because of the gas and switched to a 'gentle' formula on the recommendation of the pedi NP, but after some time on that and trying gas drops and gripe water it seemed to get worse. So we tried a 'sensitive' formula. But still no luck. Big hugs as I know how frustrating it is to not be able to figure out what can help them when they are screaming. I hope we find some relief. Our doctor said the colic was just going to have to be outgrown, but hopefully the meds will help with the reflux and that will help with the colic.
So sorry you are in the same boat It is a sinking ship with lots of holes lol...

How often is Truely crying? Is it just around feedings or set times or all the time?
Xavier is all over the map. Some feedings go great! He eats around 150ml's, burps, minor gas fussing, then snuggles in my chest to sleep. In hind sight these happen near medicine time. Other times the feeding goes great but quickly goes down hill with gas and reflux. Lately it seems like clock work he gets into scream mode by 8pm at the latest and it goes for 2-4 hours at least. Makes for long days and nights because it happens more often than not as each day passes. Our neice just turned one and spent the last six months crying. Hoping he outgrows this sooner than later!

May 12th, 2014, 09:50 AM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am lurking from February 2014, and I want to offer input because I know how stressful this is. So sorry your little guy is suffering so much!!

My son Ryker, who is now 20 months, would scream 7 hours a day as an infant. At least. It was horrible. The doctor said he had silent reflux. We put Ryker on Similac Sensitive, and because the doctor thought it was reflux and not any type of milk allergy (his poops were normal and not bloody and he was gaining weight) he did not think we needed Nutramigen, Alimentum or any of the other super expensive formulas that are out there that do help with babies with milk allergies. So, we gave him Prilosec and the formula and just did what we could. I would wear him at night in a K'tan and just bounce with him for hours... We had him sleep in a Rock and Play (if you could call it sleep- he woke up six times a night until he was six months old) and we would elevate the Rock and Play legs with shoes to keep him more up right. It seemed like feeding kind of helped soothe his poor belly some, but nothing helped 100 %. I sat in the bathroom with the tub faucet on and just held him at night, the running water of the kitchen sink would work, vacuuming would help- the white noise would work for him to calm him down. He hated the car so that was no help. He ended up also needing ear tubes at 5 1/2 months because he had had so many infections, so I think the ears were part of the problem. Living through Ryker's reflux was the hardest thing I have ever gone through, so I truly feel for you, and anyone else that is experiencing this. Do not let anyone in your family or circle minimize what you are going through. Having your baby that you waited so long for literally scream most of the day away is heart wrentching, frustrating, aggravating, angering... all in one. I would ask why me? all the time, because (bad as I sound) this was not the easy baby I prayed for. I remember punching the wall, punching my steering wheel, and I felt so bad because we had a four year old daughter as well that was so good through all of this. Please know that IT DOES GET BETTER. But, now is such a difficult time. I hope he gets better quickly and you find something that works. For the record, while he is still strong willed and very demanding as a 20 month old (hitting those terrible twos already) we love our little Ryker to death and believe he was sent to us for a reason. He is the funniest, most quirky little character I have ever met, but those first few months... they cannot be forgotten.
shirley_ann likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search