Again same old question..infant travel in flight

Forum: April 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2014, 11:10 AM
NehaT's Avatar Super Mommy
I know I have asked this previously.
We will be traveling to seattle next week when she will be 2 weeks old.
As per my old post replies, I decided to breastfeed while take off and landing. When I booked ticket, there wasnt any window seat available. So I took the first row after business class (right after toilets) but center and aisle seat. Due to car seat issue (no point in taking that as she will be tied all the time to seat..and I am not sure if I can move her when seat belt sign is on..so) we decided on lap travel

Now I got into my worst fear.. She takes forever to latch and she sucks her whole fist first and then latches. With such thing, and people around in flight, it will be little difficult to breastfeed in little time. I am not sure if I can give her pacifier and how that will be useful.

So..any suggestion on how to avoid her ear impact by feeding?

The one I thought was - I ll EP and store 2 bottles for flight take off and landing. (Not sure how I ll do that..I need to figure that out) and later when flight in air, I can breastfeed..

Also...any suggestion for preventing germs.. How I ll cover her ?Seats are exact behind toilet..

I am really freaking out.. I dont know how I am going to survive those 6 hours....and how baby will do....

May 9th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Blue Eyes 409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow I have never flown so I really can't say but BF sounds like the way to go unless using a pacifier will help.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my new siggy
May 9th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never taken a baby on a plane so I'm no help, but maybe there will be extra seats farther away from people that you can use to bf while taking off and landing?

May 10th, 2014, 07:11 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm actually taking Kinley flying this week as well, my grandfather is really sick in Florida. I plan to bring my nursing cover and ktan. But while walking through the airport I'll keep her in her car seat and stroller. I'm going to nurse and have paci jic. I wouldn't take bottles... Such a hassle through security and then you have to worry about keeping then cool and then warming them up. Is your husband not going with you? If he was right next to you and you have a cover no one would see anything if that's what your worried about. Otherwise they'll get over it. Ds was about 15 months when he first flew so this is my first time with a newborn!!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
May 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with just nursing if you can and bringing a pacifier. Try not to stress about it- it will be fine no matter what. I don't think there's much you can do about germs but honestly, I think it will be fine too. Just keep her close to you and nurse when you can. You know at 5 weeks- we still have some issues latching in public especially because he doesn't love the nursing cover. I think along as you're being discreet-ish (meaning shielding yourself moderately) that it's fine and people can avert their eyes if they don't want to be "bothered" by a nursing mother (which is ridiculous anyway). I attempted to nurse Max in the middle of home goods on their grand opening and not one person gave me any grief or acted disgusted or annoyed. Heck, I was sitting at an outdoor furniture set (only place I could find) and people were still coming up to it to check price etc lol
May 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Regular
I have no advice for you, but I'm in the same boat. We will be traveling with baby when she's 6 weeks old. The flight is only 2 hours but I'm worried about the logistics of it all- the germs, the diaper changes, the feedings, the loud meltdowns.

As for germs, we were thinking about booking first class so we have less exposure to people. We will be the first ones on and first ones off. I always bring bleach wipes and a pair of vinyl gloves to wipe down the seat trays and seat belt buckles. Not sure if we will bring the car seat on the plane or not. We would like to keep the baby covered as much as possible.

I am EP and have no idea what to do about bottles and warming and getting through security plus we are going for a wedding and have our trip pretty full so I need to find a way to keep up with pumpings. Also, we have to find out where baby will sleep once we get there.

I have debated staying home but people are saying it is easiest traveling when they are this little because all the do is mostly sleep. I figure if we can't do it now it will be worse when she's older so might as well jump in I guess.

Keep us updated on how everything goes!
May 16th, 2014, 05:11 PM
NehaT's Avatar Super Mommy
So the journey is over now..Yesterday morning we started from newark airport. Before going to airport I fed her. Until security check she was asleep. And security check was quite easy with baby.

I did not feed her while take off and landing as she was sleeping whole time. She did not even cry once. I did feed her couple of times in flight.
Even in small toilet i changed her diaper. She was really quite all the time.

So i am relieved. I am just thinking to visit Pediatrics in case. ( only thing bothered me was people around us and at the back were coughing and sneezing)

May 18th, 2014, 06:09 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We flew this week too. I suggest bringing a carrier of some sort as it made things really easy! I either kept her in the carrier, car seat/stroller, or nursed her the whole time. Didn't really fuss at all. Since I'm nursing I didn't have to worry about taking milk trough security but they will let you for a baby. Overall much, much easier than Ds' first flight at 15 months or his second at almost 2!! Now that was a disaster!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search