Looks like I'm going to register, after all....

Forum: Due Date Club of April 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of April 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My SIL is throwing me a baby shower. While I understand how nice this is, she is throwing me a huge, extravagant shower that is in her style, not mine. She really badgered me into agreeing to a small, intimate event with some of DH's aunts. Maybe ten people.

Well, it turns out that she is now inviting 30+ people and renting a hall. I am mortified because I don't like big crowds! I also feel that she is putting on a big gift grab which I find embarrassing. In her last email to me, she even wrote "I know you don't want to invite a bunch of people you don't know in case it looks like a gift grab, but here is the list of people I'm adding to the list."

First world problem, I know.

Anyhow, so I think I am going to register for a few incidentals at babies r us. Diaper bag, baby monitor, simple outfits, infant tub... That's all I can think of for now!

Can you think of one item you could *not* live without? Our house is tiny so we simply don't have space for a lot of toys, bouncers, etc. We don't have anything for the baby yet except for cloth diapers, nursing pillow, and a few infant sleepers.
December 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would register for any baby wraps or carriers you'd want - they don't take up much space. Maybe a carseat and a high chair that either straps to a kitchen chair or the table itself.
December 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran
Something that we were gifted that I hadn't even thought of. A baby medical kit. Simple things like thermometer, baby nail clippers, medicine dropper, some baby tylenol/motrin, infant toothbrush (we used one that goes over your finger) and one of those nose sucky things.

As for the baby shower, I feel your embarrassment. I would have loved to have had a small get together with my family but they live on the other side of the world so it wasn't going to happen. Someone offered to throw us one here and invite a bunch of people we didn't know. I was so embarrassed by the thought I said no.
December 30th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know what you mean about the baby shower; it would make me uncomfortable to have a big one too.

We are also minimalists, especially when it comes to baby stuff but one thing that both DH and I loved was our Ergo...it was probably our #1 baby item! Most moms say that swings and bouncers are pretty useful...our daughter was extremely high maintenance but the swing did allow us to put her down sometimes. I think I'm going to get a used bouncer this time and see how that is.

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would suggest a bouncy seat, they don't take up much space and really necessary if you ever want to lay the baby down . Also, what do you plan to put baby in to sleep at firs? You could register for a bassinet, cosleeper, or pack n play, whichever you plan to use. Also I would register for burp cloths, extra sheets, waterproof mattress covers, and changing table pads. These things get dirty quickly and it's nice to have extras. Also if you plan to bf some essentials like a pump, cover, landline, gel pads, nursing pads, etc.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
December 30th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Love all the ideas that have been suggested!

Other things to add might be a humidifier (wish we had added this!) and some small teething toys, taggies...and a jolly jumper if you have crown moulding around your doors takes up NO space at all

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
December 30th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Super Mommy
I am not fond of a lot of attention either. I am faced with 3 showers so far that I know of. One being hosted by my friends for our close friends. One hosted by my mother for family and some family friends (this one will be a big one, eeeeeps!). Those two will happen before the baby is born. Mil is having one for her family and friends after the baby is born. I too am wanting to hide in a corner and wishing the attention was on someone else, but i know they mean well and I'll get through it somehow Good luck at your shower, definitely toss in a little registry as it's easier than people asking you to list dozens of items over and over again. I will be registering at babys r us soon and telling guests to look at my registry online for an idea of what I am looking for.

After 15 long years, our miracle is now here...
Xavier arrived 8 weeks early on February 9th, 2014
We are over the moon happy and anxious to bring him home! <3

Follow me to my Blog at http://islandangel.blog.com

December 30th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One way to avoid the attention on you is to have a 'sip and see'. These are showers after the baby is born. Then all the attention is on the baby. But you'd want it small so not to many people were holding the baby. So it wouldn't work with to many people, or to many people who want to hold the baby (not everybody does).

All great ideas. You could ask for more cloth diapers, or some disposables for travel (you can always return them if you don't use them).

December 30th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! I actually am really excited to go look at all the little baby things and pick them out with my mom and other SIL. I've been on the babies r us website all day, LOL.

Does anyone think this message is too tacky?

WE ARE SO EXCITED ABOUT OUR BABY GIRL! WE WILL BE USING CLOTH DIAPERS FOR HER AND WE ARE WELL STOCKED IN THOSE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THINKING OF US -- WE CAN'T WAIT TO INTRODUCE OUR BABY TO YOU THIS SPRING!

There was a place to put in a personalized message so that's what I came up with so hopefully we don't get a hundred cases of diapers. LOL. I wish it wasn't all in caps but that's how babies r us did it.

I am excited now!

Thanks everyone! I actually am really excited to go look at all the little baby things and pick them out with my mom and other SIL. I've been on the babies r us website all day, LOL.

Does anyone think this message is too tacky?

WE ARE SO EXCITED ABOUT OUR BABY GIRL! WE WILL BE USING CLOTH DIAPERS FOR HER AND WE ARE WELL STOCKED IN THOSE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THINKING OF US -- WE CAN'T WAIT TO INTRODUCE OUR BABY TO YOU THIS SPRING!

There was a place to put in a personalized message so that's what I came up with so hopefully we don't get a hundred cases of diapers. LOL. I wish it wasn't all in caps but that's how babies r us did it.

I am excited now!
December 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Super Mommy
Also, I appreciated having larger sizes of clothes, I got stuff all the way up to about 2 years, so every time DS grew, we got to pull out some more gifts, it was nice having nice clothes for later, that they wear way longer than the tiny baby things. and BOOKS! My FAVE gift I got was books, they don't take up a lot of space, but the classic nice ones can get pricey.

Things like a good mother goose, the Winnie the Pooh classics (the original ones) The Beatrix Potter books, Richard Scarry Books, Eric Carle books (Very hungry caterpillar) Etc.
December 31st, 2013, 02:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! Registering was loads of fun! I went with my I'm and my other SIL and we had a blast picking out all the things. When I got home I looked over the whole list and I'm still not sure -- there are fifty items on the list and most of those are incidentals that are under ten dollars.

I may go back and add on all the medela pumping accessories.

I did get a great deal on my stroller car seat combo! I found the one I wanted for 209 and my mom bought it as her baby gift! It was in back order so we pick it up in February! So, so excited to finally have some baby things!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search