Double stroller question?

Forum: Due Date Club of April 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChiChica

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of April 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Luvgreen19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our DS will be nearing 4 when the baby comes, and we've been toying with the idea of a double stroller. DH isn't convinced we need one, thinks we can just use our wagon when we go to the zoo, etc, but I don't love the idea of having to haul a wagon and a stroller when we go to an all day sort of place. Thoughts?

Is DS old enough to just walk and hold hands? I'd like him to have somewhere to sit if he gets tired rather than have no options... and while I would like a baby carrier, I also like the idea of having the car seat/stroller around for the baby if I need a break from holding the baby.

Ok so i guess I just answered my own question, but I'd still love to hear experiences y'all have had with strollers/recommendations/whatever
Here's the one we're looking at- we have a 2010 model of the Graco SnugRide 35 car seat, and this appears to be the best stroller to handle both kids with that car seat, but I am completely open to other suggestions too. TIA ladies!

Graco Ready2Grow Classic Connect LX Stand & Ride Stroller - Surrey - Graco - Babies "R" Us
Round 2- 2013
July/August 2013: 35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!
It's a boy! DS#2 due April 28th, 2013!

December 31st, 2013, 02:06 PM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I'm just having my first baby and don't have first hand experience. But my sister's kids have about the same age gap and I think she most uses a sit 'n' stand model with her kids. The older one was pretty much in and out anyway, even on long trips to the zoo, etc. Maybe that would be enough for you? Good luck!

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

December 31st, 2013, 03:05 PM
hmm that's a good point Lindsay, maybe I only need a bench for DS..
Is this similar to what your sister has?

Amazon.com: Graco RoomFor2 Stand and Ride Classic Connect Stroller, Metropolis: Baby
Round 2- 2013
July/August 2013: 35 days of Follistim at gradually building levels + trigger+IUI= in August 2013!

December 31st, 2013, 03:40 PM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup, really similar. So, you wouldn't be able to have both kids sleeping in it, but your older son could at least sit for a rest.
Luvgreen19 likes this.

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

December 31st, 2013, 04:17 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to suggest a sit n stand too. Or a Joovy Caboose. I also love my Baby Jogger City Select with the second seat kit - it can be a single stroller or a double, depending on what you need and it's very simple to switch back and forth. I plan on getting the infant seat attachment for mine so I can put the car seat in it in place of the regular seat.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
December 31st, 2013, 04:31 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a lot of strollers. My girls are 3 yrs apart. My oldest is almost 6 and extremely lazy when we go out for day trips.

I have a 2 seater wagon, sit n stand, graco double, single travel system, Chico umbrella, and a cheap double jogger I got off a yard sale site.

The first summer I used the graco double and sit n stand a lot. The sit n stand has probably gotten the most use but, it's not great for say if you wanted to walk around the block. I love the double jogger.

My plan is to sell a few and get a jogger travel system and double jogger. I know they will get a lot of use this summer.

And if we weren't done having children I would invest in the city mini double GT. We rented one in Disney. That is an awesome stroller!
December 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those city ones are awesome but holy moly are they expensive!!! Unless I was going to use it everyday I just can't justify spending $600+ on a stroller! I think I've decided on a countor brand, they're lighter and easier to open and close than say a Graco. Or at least that's what the reviews suggest! However, my DS will only be 2.5 so I think we need a more traditional double stroller. In your case I think I'd go with the sit n stand. Unless you are planning on having more and possible closer together! Then you may want to spend more now so that you can be done buying strollers

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 1st, 2014, 07:50 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can say when my DD was 4 she never sat in her stroller much, so I like the idea of the sit and stand. But if I knew I was going to do lots of trips where both kids would want to sleep for a good part of the outing then I'd want the double stroller. But when my kids were done that usually meant it was time to go anyway.

January 1st, 2014, 09:40 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep726 View Post
Those city ones are awesome but holy moly are they expensive!!! Unless I was going to use it everyday I just can't justify spending $600+ on a stroller! I think I've decided on a countor brand, they're lighter and easier to open and close than say a Graco. Or at least that's what the reviews suggest! However, my DS will only be 2.5 so I think we need a more traditional double stroller. In your case I think I'd go with the sit n stand. Unless you are planning on having more and possible closer together! Then you may want to spend more now so that you can be done buying strollers

I have friends who successfully found City Minis and City Selects (with the second seat) on Craigslist and other sales sites for much less than retail.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
January 1st, 2014, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DD will be 27 months when this one comes (if she arrives when she is supposed to!) and we will not be getting a double. IMO it is clunky and hard to maneuver, plus DD already prefers to walk and has good stamina, not to mention she no longer naps so I don't have to worry about her wanting to do that in the stroller. The first few months I will be able to wear the baby and DD can still be in the stroller if we decide but this summer will be her last in a sit down stroller. I will, however, be getting a buggy board for our stroller so she can stand on it if she gets tired. I like the idea of her walking, riding a bike, trike, scooter etc while we are out on walks because that means she is getting good exercise as well...I want her to be active. My sister and cousin both have kids that are 2/3 years old and all of them walk when at the zoo and do just fine.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 1st, 2014, 12:04 PM
Thank you so much for the info ladies! I am leaning towards the Graco one just because I know it will work with my older car seat, but when we go to the store, I will definitely ask about some of these other models and their compatibility with my car seat.
I'm definitely set on getting one of the ones with a just a bench for DS. This is our last kid, so we really only need it for the first year, after that, both kids should fit in the wagon or the umbrella stroller.
Round 2- 2013

January 1st, 2014, 01:26 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
*lurking* That Graco is huge, barely fit into my SUV when folded, and was heavy and hard to turn...I barely used it and sold it on Craigslist ASAP. Alsi if baby is in a car seat, there is not room for your older child to recline and sleep. Make sure you test drive it with a child and car seat in it, and check if it fits in the car!

I would go for a sit-n-stand that is lighter, or wear baby if your older one needs a stroller. Plus zoos and places often rent double strollers for cheap.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

Last edited by KMH; January 1st, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
January 2nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
mzshell13's Avatar Super Mommy
I would wait until baby gets here and then decide what to do. My son was 2.5 and rarely sat in strollers and walked everywhere- until his sister arrived. Then suddenly his legs were always tired, or he wouldn't hold my hand and would wander (or run) in a different direction. I usually would wear my newborn and let him sit in our single stroller, but because I was a SAHM and was always out with just the two of them, sometimes all day, I needed something where they could both sit when she got a little older. Definitely try out strollers with your oldest. My son at 2.5 didn't fit in the Graco you posted our the City Select, he was squished and was only the 50% for height and 65% for weight. So that greatly influenced our decision. We have a Joovy Scooter X2 and love it for the size of the seats, the almost full recline for baby, and the huge basket, though it is quite bulky (but to me all doubles are). If you are only going to use it for occasional trips to the zoo have you considered an umbrella stroller?

January 2nd, 2014, 12:46 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found this on Craigslist for $50. I am going to look at it this weekend. I have a bad stroller obsession. I should just sell them all and by the city mini gt that I really want.

Baby trend navigator.
Baby Trend Navigator Double Jogger Stroller - Walmart.com
January 2nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DS is a few weeks older than yours. I think my plan right now is to hold off on a stroller and see if we really need one. We both plan to wear the baby so if we need DS in a stroller when we go somewhere we can use a single stroller and one of us can wear the baby. Or DS can walk and the baby can use the stroller. If I decide that I think we will need a double, I just plan to look for a used Sit N Stand stroller, I think. We both have smaller cars and I worry about the trunk space that a double would take up.

January 2nd, 2014, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dd will be 5 soon. The only time she really uses the stroller is when we go to disney. So we will just use two strollers when my DH goes with us. I am looking into the skateboard option to go on our stroller for when I go by myself or I will baby wear. Our friends have a sit and Standley. They love it so we will probably
Look into that too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search