Animals during pregnancy and loss

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
SimplyJenalee's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Ladies-

My cat Casper is a 17 lbs beast
Here are a couple of pics before I get on with this post...

Here is him "helping" me with Laundry:

Okay...back to topic. So Casper is my cat all the way, he wants nothing to do with DH what-so-ever. During my last pregnancy nothing really changed with the way he acted around me until the morning I woke up that I lost Alyssa, I hadn't realized it yet but Casper was ALL OVER ME. He wouldn't let me be 2 feet away from him. I know he sensed something. Now with me being pregnant again he is constantly laying by my belly which he did not do last time. I think its his way of trying to protect the baby. What do you guys think? It is very hard for Casper to be on my lap bc....he is 17 lbs! But he HAS to be by me at all times...as we speak now he is laying on my lab while I am on the computer. Its so weird.

My other cat wants NOTHING to do with me since I got pregnant, all she does is stick to DH's side all day which she never did before. Isn't that weird?

Here is a pic of my little boo...she is only 8 lbs. You wouldn't think so, but Casper and Boo are from the SAME litter...a huge difference in size!

AND I think I remember reading SOMEWHERE...not sure where or when about a cat at a nursing home would get close to a patient right before they died...whenever the cat would get close to someone they would make sure the family was notified...maybe I dreamed that up but i swear I remember something about it....

So, What do you guys think about animals and their reactions to pregnancy and loss?

ps...don't mind my cat's crazy eyes Flash always makes their eyes look crazy!

FOXNews.com - Oscar the Cat Predicts Nursing Home Deaths - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

There is the story I was talking about with the cat at the nursing home...
May 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My pug Daisy is not very bright. She loves laying on my tummy. She was bright enough to eventually notice that my belly was growing, and she felt that it was a terrible imposition on her daily habit! She was never really aware of Ethan, but given how much she walked all over my belly, Ethan knew about her!

She knew when we lost Ethan I think. She knows what crying is, and she hates when DH and I do it. She doesn't like when we are upset one bit. So she climbs into our laps and pokes us repeatedly in the face until we stop!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 5th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Proud Momma
I know animals can sense a lot. My dog (who lives with my mom) is unfortunately not a very cuddly dog to me (he only loves my mom and my DH), but soon after I lost her and was at my mom's house and would be crying over Katrina, he'd come up to me and just rub his head on my leg or just snuggle up to me. I don't know if he knew that I lost my baby, but he could definitely tell that something wasn't right - whether I was crying or not.

It's like their sixth sense or something.
May 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
My dogs aren't the brightest either, but they know when I'm upset, especially when I'm crying. One of them comes to me and tries to lick away my tears and the other just comes and lays by my side. My cats have no clue but they don't like the dogs all that much so that might keep them away. I love my animals so much. When I was in the hospital delivering the girls, we had the dogs boarded at the vet because we didn't know how long we would be there for and we couldn't keep them locked up for too long, they are crate trained, but as soon as I came home, I had to have my animals with me. They are my furbabies and I love them so much. I couldn't imagine my life with out my Zoo.

May 5th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Super Moderator
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
It's hard to say --- all animals can be different
Are you thinking something is wrong now that is why the cat is by your side because if that is the case you are going to drive yourself nuts for 8 months!

My Kiddos
Chloe (14),
Benjamin (9)
Logan (6), Kaitlin (3)

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
May 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
SimplyJenalee's Avatar Super Mommy
HAHA! I am TRYING to think of it that Casper is just protecting the baby inside me right now!
May 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
animals can change there temprament when around pregnant women especially there owners i think i read about it too my cat on the other hand didnt want anything to do with me ...

May 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you are referring to a House episode where the cat would sleep by the nursing home patients right before they died. He figured out that the cat just slept by those who had a fever. LOL.

Anyway, yes I think pets know when our emotions change and such and therefore spend more time/less time with us depending on how it makes them feel. Sweet that you have a big cuddler though!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
May 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I have idiot pets. Well, okay... I know I have two idiot pets, and one who doesn't care about other people. The fourth one... he actually noticed I was pregnant. It was quite strange, really... the only one whose behavior changed when I was pregnant was Zeeke, my hubby's shepherd. The dog doesn't really listen to me very well, he's very much a daddy's boy. But when I was preggo the dog would just sit there and put his chin on my knee and look up at me adoringly. It was very WEIRD.

After the loss they all just seemed to clamor for attention since there had been a life upheaval (dogs were kenneled for a couple of days until I was ready to deal with them). None of them have really paid any attention to when I cry or am upset. My sweet little dog, Zoe, she's just too much of a ditz I think. Same with one of the cats. They just don't really "get" things that go on around them. LOL I love them but... not the brightest bulbs.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search