Crying at the grocery store

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
They keep the Jewish memorial candles next to the Mother's Day card section. Picking out Mother's Day cards for mom and MIL, I saw the cards for first time mothers. Instead of buying Grandma cards for mom and MIL I get to buy Yarzheit candles. I think the grocery store manager was concerned to have a customer crying in the greeting card section.

I'm going to invent a line of greeting cards for grieving parents on major holidays.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore View Post
They keep the Jewish memorial candles next to the Mother's Day card section. Picking out Mother's Day cards for mom and MIL, I saw the cards for first time mothers. Instead of buying Grandma cards for mom and MIL I get to buy Yarzheit candles. I think the grocery store manager was concerned to have a customer crying in the greeting card section.

I'm going to invent a line of greeting cards for grieving parents on major holidays.
You know, I saw the first time mother cards when I was getting cards for my mom and MIL and they made me sad too. 3 years and 2 kids later.

I totally agree with you about the grieving parents cards. It's something that totally needs to happen.

May 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are NO good cards for this kind of loss, for us.

I'm sorry about the juxtaposition of the candles and the cards. The grocery store has always been a hard place for me to be in after my loss, not really sure why.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
May 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I was also surprised that they don't have cards for people who have lost their mothers and struggle like us on Mother's Day. I think that we aren't a very grief-friendly culture.

May 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
double post.

Last edited by rebeccabaltimore and more; May 5th, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
May 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore View Post
I was also surprised that they don't have cards for people who have lost their mothers and struggle like us on Mother's Day. I think that we aren't a very grief-friendly culture.
Oh we are definitely not. I think that's part of the reason we get so many comments about how to "move on" and "it's for the best" and general encouragements to stop feeling bad. It's still not socially acceptable to grieve. People feel very uncomfortable with the concept and like to push it behind closed doors. Our culture likes to focus only on the good things and exclude the not-so-pleasant things.... as if that will somehow make them go away.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
May 6th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree and I am sure that is why they don't have cards like that. It is such a taboo subject and people have this incessant need to talk only about the joys in life and ignore the heartbreak or minimize it, 'there there you have had your cry not get on with life'. It puts pressure on moms like us to stop grieving or makes you feel something is wrong because you still have sad days years later. Sorry I went off topic. I am sorry the candles were next to the cards.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

May 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Super Moderator
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
I have been to bigger stores that have cards - like hallmark or carlton cards and they have grieving cards

My Kiddos
Chloe (14),
Benjamin (9)
Logan (6), Kaitlin (3)

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
May 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
i went to the shop to buy a card for jessica on her angelversary and found nothing i think they should have cards for angels when its there angelversary i would love something like that too

May 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben & Logan's Mommy View Post
I have been to bigger stores that have cards - like hallmark or carlton cards and they have grieving cards
I've seen cards of support for when the loss actually happens, but I've never seen an "I'm so sorry that you don't have your child/mother with you this Mother's Day" card, or "I know that this anniversary is hard for you, and I want to say I'm sorry again" card. I'll have to go look at Hallmark next time I'm in the mall.

May 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think about stuff they should make for grieving parents all the time. And that is one of them! I also think stores should carry memorial items specifically made for grieving parents and stuff. Like baby books for stillborn babies and babies who passed away not long after a live birth, etc. Alot of memorial items are nice, but you usually have to order them online and honestly so many of them are pricey. I only plan on getting something every year around his birthday.

I also think they could make cute yet "solemn" things for babies' gravces and stuff, like stuffed animals, blankies, figures, etc.

Those first time Mother's Day cards gut me too. I'm sorry Rebecca

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
May 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every mother's dy since Mom died has SUCKED! It's not that I don't appreciate my three musketeer's , but (and I'm sorry to offend) seeing mothers and daughters out together SUCKS A((. We were best friends. I hurt for her even more on those days.

Each year we take the kids up to Hilliard and put more flowers out. This year, we are going to give her an extra angel for Jonah.

Happy Freaking Mother's Day.

Oh, did that sound bitter? I'm truly sorry. This week just sucks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search