this is NOT my first! ARGH *pregnancy mentioned*

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Proud Momma
Jon and I were out for lunch yesterday with my Dad and his wife. She always knows how to irk me by saying the stupidest comments. She was one of the people who said, "when I think of the name Katrina, all I'm going to think of is hurricane Katrina from now on." Oh please, get a grip, lady!

Anyway, we were talking about when I'll be going on mat leave with Sweet Pea here and I said I can use my 3 weeks holidays of 2010 to use before my mat leave, so I'll prob leave early February or so. She thought that was a good idea and then Jon was joking that if I did stay until closer to my due date, if I do happen to go into labour while at work, it would be more direct to get to the hospital than from our home. Of course she couldn't just laugh, she just had to say something stupid: "well with your first, labour is always much longer, so don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to get to the hospital." GRRRRRRRRRRRR, I was so mad, but I'm too nice to say anything. So stupid, she knows da.mn well I went into labour with Katrina and it was a very painful labour - both emotionally and physically.
September 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I'd have said something and watch her squirm out of it. Either that or slapped the stupid b***h!!
September 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
noworries
Wow, that lady has no tact and is an idiot. I'm sorry sweetie.
September 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah no tack at all. I'm sorry she doesn't think before openning her mouth.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

September 28th, 2009, 06:51 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ummm, yeah, I totally would have said, "I already went through labor, thanks." Do their brains just shut off when it comes to our angel babies? Ugh.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
September 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
I said it before and I'll say it again ... you just can't fix stupid. I'm sorry to hear she made such a dumb remark to you, Steph. Next time she says something equally dumb, just look her in the eye with a poker face and with proper annunciation and voice inflections, say to her 'aaaah sphincter says what?'

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
September 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Super Mommy
I think a b**** slap would have been in order.

I'm so sorry hun. I had it out w/a nurse at Kaden's 1st pediatrician appt last week. Wen she was asking my history, and I said loss at 20 weeks, she said so this is your 1st baby....

So yeah, that was a total stranger, I think I'd kill someone in my family that said something like that.

September 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
You know, I got a comment like that with Erin, and my response was "so, you mean 8 hours and a 6lb10oz baby before wasn't labor?"

Yeah, some people are just stupid. It might be longer than with Katrina since you have to dilate further, etc, but you're going to have the weight of a bigger baby who is helping you and a body that already knows what its doing.

Gah, I'm sorry you had to deal with that honey.

September 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
im with yvonne on this one, a slap indeed i hate stoopid people!!!! especially ones that pee me off in the 1st place, sorry hun

September 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a stupid comment to make! Too bad many times we can't just say back what we really feel like saying to them.

September 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
WTH? Wow. Definitely can't fix stupid. Comments like that really irritate me. I'm sorry she was so insensitive. (((hugs)))

September 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Um yeah...I can't stand it when people think a premature still birth just means the baby plops out. I had 13.5 hours of labor, uncluding 3-minute long contractions (from start to finish) with a 45 second break in between. It hurt and was awful.

And as far as someone discounting a fullterm stillbirth...what the heck, really??? I mean I know some people think anything less than fullterm is a "miscarriage" but...come on, obviously a fullterm baby is a birth no matter how dense someone is. Somnetimes with people like this I seriously think they think we live in denial and are trying to "put it all behind us" so they think they are helping by pretending it didn't happen, pretending this is a frist pregnancy, a first birth, etc? I mean it's still annoying...but that is the feeling I get with some people. Like they think we think it is taboo to "go there" so they play stupid around us.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
September 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingMommy View Post
And as far as someone discounting a fullterm stillbirth...what the heck, really???
I've often thought that a miscarriage gets more sympathy and attention than a stillbirth, probably because miscarriages are so much more common and talked about than a stillbirth is. I had mentioned my stillbirth on some woman's support site; someone else in the same thread mentioned a miscarriage. Guess who got the "I am SO SORRY you had to experience that?" That's right, the miscarriage mom. One person acknowledged my stillbirth

NOTHING gets me irritated more than when people acknowledge a miscarriage and offer condolences and sympathy while totally ignoring someone's stillbirth, never acknowledging that yes --- this baby had limbs, eyes, ears, fingers, toes and I BIRTHED IT!!! I had to NAME the baby! I had to meet with a funeral director and decide on a burial or cremation!

It's so unfortunate that moms of stillborns are caught in the middle of miscarriage and infant death after the baby has been born. Either end of those spectrums get acknowledged; why don't stillbirths?

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
September 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Gayle's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Gayle Send a message via Yahoo to Gayle
Talk about open mouth insert foot. I'm so sorry that she was so rude.

October 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get that too 'since this is my second labor' ..... its not. I'm sorry but its not. I was in labor for over 15 hours with Damian. I think that counts for something....

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
October 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Barb, you're so right!! I was talking about that with my husband just yesterday. People just don't know how to react...either they don't know how to react or they act like it was a miscarriage (as in "really painful period" type, as opposed to actual labor and delivery).

People are just stupid when it comes to being understanding to our situations.

October 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlpisces View Post
I've often thought that a miscarriage gets more sympathy and attention than a stillbirth, probably because miscarriages are so much more common and talked about than a stillbirth is. I had mentioned my stillbirth on some woman's support site; someone else in the same thread mentioned a miscarriage. Guess who got the "I am SO SORRY you had to experience that?" That's right, the miscarriage mom. One person acknowledged my stillbirth

NOTHING gets me irritated more than when people acknowledge a miscarriage and offer condolences and sympathy while totally ignoring someone's stillbirth, never acknowledging that yes --- this baby had limbs, eyes, ears, fingers, toes and I BIRTHED IT!!! I had to NAME the baby! I had to meet with a funeral director and decide on a burial or cremation!

It's so unfortunate that moms of stillborns are caught in the middle of miscarriage and infant death after the baby has been born. Either end of those spectrums get acknowledged; why don't stillbirths?

I totally get this. I think because miscarriage is much more common it receives most of the 'attention,' if you want to call it that. I also think stillbirth scares many pregnant women. That once they hit 12, 14 or whatever 'magic week' everything is okay and it's now time to think about bringing home a baby. Stillbirth is something that just isn't talked about much and many would rather ignore it or pretend it only happens to other people. Sometimes I wonder why or if antenatal death is not viewed the same as, say, a neonatal loss. I often get that impression or vibe from people who claim or profess all life is precious and it's a baby regardless of it's in the mother's womb or not.

October 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't get the way stillbirth is viewwed either. You all know my issues and dealing with my loss. It makes me angry.

I absolutely labored with Colm, actually longer and as painful as both Caroleigh and Evie. And both of them were natural, no pain meds, so I can compare them. I actually wanted meds with Colm.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
dotcomkari's Avatar Bianca, Kai & Asia's mom
Send a message via AIM to dotcomkari Send a message via MSN to dotcomkari
I am sorry sweetie this happened to you. Some people will never understand.. unless it happens to them.. you know? IT has been almost 10 years now since I lost Olivia.. and I have heard so many rude remakrs.. and to tell you the truth it DOES NOT get easier with time.. but you kinda learn to shrug them off.. you know in your heart the truth.. and you know that precious Angel is looking down on you.. and you know how much your heart misses them.. and aches for them.. and that is all that matters..

THANK YOU Claire for Siggy! WE LOVE IT!

Kari, Proud wife to Raymond (8.16.03) proud mommy to: Olivia Katherine ( born still 3.5.00), Bianca (12.23.03) , Kai (4.28.06) and Asia (7.14.08)

Proud Member of the :
Children With Special Needs, 2008 July Playroom, ASD Board, Stillborn Baby Board

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search