I started working on my awareness project

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did some research this morning and found some good pamphlets to include with my message.

I need to make a slide show too, I think, but I hate doing that...lol.

I want something to easily send to the doctors, maybe even the other people in the chain of command so they can know more appropriate ways of dealing with a pregnancy loss.

Do any of you have suggestions? Maybe an informational packet you have developed?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
noworries
What a great idea. Tell me more about what you are doing.
October 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Carrie, I am not sure how much you know about what happened to me after I lost Colm. I was treated, in my opinion, very poorly by a lot of different individuals. I was returned to work after just 3 weeks, and was not put on any type of fitness restriction, so I had to start doing exercises immediately, as if I had never been pregnant. I was also told immediately after I returned to work on June 8th to be ready to take my fitness test by July 7th. It was terrible, both physically and emotionally.

I want to provide our doctors here with a better way of dealing with a woman in our position. Stuff like not telling them that post pregnancy convalescent leave (maternity leave) is not for physical recovery, but for... Well, he wouldn't tell me what it was for, just that it wasn't for the mother's recovery. I took it to mean that it is for the baby, and since I didn't take my baby home, I didn't get the time off. The standard for military members is 6 weeks.

I want to include military specific information, like using the chapel for services, finding a V.A. cemetary (most will let you bury your child free if you qualify), the money that the Air Force contributes to help pay for transportation costs with the funeral home, it saved us over $600. And that AD military members can apply for life insurance, as of right now you won't get paid but it is supposed to get worked out over the next few months.

Then I also want to include stuff like NILMDTS, angelbabypics.com, and other support groups in the area.

Part of it would include the stats on stillbirth and that it occurs more frequently than SIDS, but is less talked about. And that is some instances it is preventable. The importance of kick counts, etc.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM
noworries
Wow, I'm so sorry you were treated so poorly. I am appalled at what happened to you. I think this is a wonderful thing you are doing to educate people.
Support groups that you might include info about might be Compassionate Friends and SHARE.
October 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's great that you're doing it. I wish there was as much information for the public or at least that every doctor would mention this to the pregnant patients. I had no clue about the statistics of the stillbirth was so high until after it happened to us.

October 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I found some great pamphlets on SHARE. I will check out compassionate friends.

Sail Back to Me
October 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
You're in the AF? Your command treated you this way? Wow. That's surprising. I've always heard how 'accommodating' the AF is and how it's 'family-friendly.'

It's good to bring awareness. Your doctor didn't write you a note or anything that would put you on light duty?

October 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
My midwife did, the primary care doctor told me, 'this is the military and we do things differently and you can go back to work' He actually returned me to duty 1 June, my work section gave me a week of personal leave, then the commander siad if I wanted more time I had to go to Mental Health. Basically they wanted me back at work because I am overweight and fail my fitness tests, so I was treated poorly.

Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search