Ella Grace Born October 14, 2009

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ella Grace was born yesterday October 14th 2009 at 4pm...She weighed 8oz and was 8 1/2 inches long...It was a long and emotional labor...I will post a birth story later, I'm just too tired to do it now...She was very soft when she was born, she had been gone for a while, but she was in great condition, her feet and hands looked just like mini newborn baby...When she had her hat on right after she was born she just looked like a little baby sleeping...after awhile she changed some, but she had the most perfect little face, she was beautiful...I kept her with me for 19 1/2 hours...I held her last night till I Could no longer keep my eyes open, and then put her in the crib next to my bed...I didn't sleep well because I was worried about what she would look like in the morning...She had been changing very fast all night long...I woke up at 4am and I spent most of the day holding her on and off or just looking at her and talking to her...I had the nurse come in at 11:30am to take her this morning, it was the hardest thing I had ever done, handing her over to never see her again, but it was time and I was ready...She looked ready too...I had to sign release forms for the autopsy and the funeral home and that was hard...The nurses made me a really nice memory box...They spent a lot of time on hand and foot prints for me, and they took pictures...She has 3 hats, and a gown, and a special blanket...Her blanket and hat are kind of messy just from her becoming more and more soft over the night, so I asked them to put them in a separate bag...It's going to be hard because I know that you can see the outline of her body on the blanket, but I am glad to have it...I will probably take pictures of the nice box they gave me...The nurses were great, very supportive, they let me order whatever I wanted to eat, and they gave me whatever medication I needed etc...I Think they would of let me stay all day and hold her if I wanted, they left the choice up to me...One thing we did notice was that Ella's cord was very very tiny at the base around her abdomen, and very very twisted...The nurse untwisted it some, but I took a picture of the base of the cord...My husband looked some stuff up about it, and it's uncommon, but there is a name for it and it does kill babies...I haven't looked anything up yet, but I will soon...Has anyone ever heard of it? I would like to post pictures of her, but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable posting in the public forum yet...I will also come back and post a birth story, it was very different from giving birth to a full term living baby...thanks for the all the support, you guys really helped me prepare for everything and I'm so glad I knew things I knew before going into the hospital, it helped so much.

October 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
noworries
I'm so glad you were able to spend as much time as you needed with Ella Grace and take pictures. We're always here when you need us. Hugs hon.
October 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I believe it is called a lean cord. I am glad you spent so much time with her, and Ella Grace is such a beautiful name. I've been thinking a lot about you.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm glad that you were able to be at peace a little bit, and take time with her.

Giving Cora's body to the funeral home people was also one of the hardest things I've ever done.

October 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((hugs)))

We would love to see pictures when you are ready to share.

I believe that we lost Colm due to a lean cord too. It was much smaller at the abdomen.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thank you guys! I have a really good picture of her, I was worried that people might be scared because she had blood coming out of her nose and a little by her eyes, but it really doesn't look bad...The woman never came from NILMDS because the local woman's kids were sick, and a woman that lived farther away said she could come at around 10 last night, so I said it was alright we would take our own pictures...She did tell the nurse that I could call her and email her pictures and she would touch them up for me....Meg, I might send you a picture of her cord...I also found a picture online that looks JUST like her cord...It was more twisted, but I think the nurse twisted it some...I haven't found a lot of information on it yet, but i haven't looked because my back hurts sitting at my computer...I will probably post at least one picture of Ella tonight, and maybe some of her hands and feet because they were so cute.

October 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Super Mommy
Megan, any time we spent with our angels was just too short, but I am SO glad you are at peace with the way your birth and after went. You have no idea now how much the time you spent with your Ella Grace will help you in the future. You DO have memories of her and with her, beautiful memories. Hold on to those. I, too, would love to see her picture. I LOVE her name Grace is my middle name too
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

October 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You picked a very pretty name. I am so glad you got to spend as much time as you could with her and got plenty of good treatment and mementos. Our Roald also had a lean cord with a Wharton's jelly deficiency (that's the stuff that makes the cord thick where it meets the abdomen). Some of the stuff I have found in researching it is minimalistic and some of it is contradictory (such as prenatal diagnosis of it), but I know it causes small for gestational age babies and that when it leads to death in utero it usually happens between 20-24 weeks.

It's also not genetic and it is rare to see 2 cases for the same person. But none of this will bring our babies back.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
October 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Proud Momma
Many to you. And I think that's wonderful that you spent so many hours with her and got so many beautiful pictures of her...even though none of that will ever be enough, at least it's something you can forever cherish.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search