The Onion online --- This is supposed to be funny?

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Every now and again, I'll go visit TheOnion.com just to find a funny article here and there, but THIS goes beyond stepping over the limits.

WARNING -- author pokes fun at a miscarriage (of course in my eyes, it could be applied to stillbirth too) with a lot of sarcasm

A Little Birdie Told Me You Had A Miscarriage | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Yes, I know what The Onion articles are all about, but this is just too f'ing much! Do you think if I write to them telling them that this is beyond insensitive, they'll just tell me to STFU and not read this stuff if I don't like it?

This is making my blood boil. There is nothing funny about this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
October 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
noworries
I feel sick to my stomach after just reading part of that.
October 22nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I agree, there's nothing funny about that. You're probably right about what they'd say if you wrote them though.

October 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just horrible...It makes me sick because i'm sure there are some people that actually do feel that way...They should be ashamed of themselves.

October 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know a number of people who find over-the-line stuff funny but who I know would not find this funny. It actually sounds really contrived to me...like this Helen Beatty or whoever wrote it was just trying to word it in a way that would be "so out there". But...even back when I was a teenager and loved stuff that was highly offensive I wouldn't have found this funny. I quite frankly would have referred to the author as a ....

For her age (judging by her photo) she really needs to realize a few points.

Quote:
did you have a drink or two during your first trimester? Apparently that's just the sort of thing that can make your uterus spontaneously abort an unborn child.
There are probabaly more reasons beyond a mother's control that lead to "fetal demise" than there are reasons within a mother's control. And I don't think one of us here consciously partook in anything that led to our babies being born dead nor dieing after birth. Even if maternal health factors are an issue...these are not women going around partying, smoking it up, taking crack, intentionally doing anything to bring baby harm, etc. That is just a really uneducated assumption that any woman who has a pregnancy loss has somehow caused it. That is rarely the case.

Quote:
It's no fun having a bun in the oven that never gets a chance to rise
Duh. You're so wise, Helen Beatty. This should be my Facebook status. (Yes, gals, I am being totally sarcastic).

Quote:
There's no use crying over spilt milk, though. Or in this case, spilt amniotic fluid. Sure, you can be a moping Mabel. You can sulk all you want to over this lost child who will never get a chance to form an intimate bond with you, never grow up to be its own little person, and never love you or become a treasured part of your life in any way. You can keep your shameful little secret all to yourself, and no one will ever know you have a harsh and unforgiving womb that rejected nature's greatest miracle.
This just sounds like something a 15-year-old South Park-obsessed kid would write to try to "shock and offend" the pants off people. Really...it is trying too hard to be inappropriate about a tragic topic.

And that part about counting your blessings and being a beautiful woman who happened to bleed profusely from her privates and expel a baby? Again...trying way too hard to sound vulgar. Is anyone really finding this stuff humurous?

Quote:
Was it really so hard in the first place? No, and I bet it was even kind of fun!
No...it wasn't fun. It wasn't fun to learn my baby had been dead inside me for a week without my knowing it. And no...I hadn't smoked nor drank nor done anything to harm him during my pregnancy. The 13.5 hours of labor was not fun. Passing out and vomiting...not fun. Seeing his small deceased body...A miracle literally dead in my arms. Not fun. My 10-year-old niece having to leave her classes the next day at school because she was crying so bad and so sad that the baby she "was so sure you were going to have" had died. That I had to put that adorable blanket I bought for him in his casket with him. That I have to go stand at a stone of granite under which his body is buried. None of it is fun in the slightest. That my husband was apparently so stressed out about it and unable to find a way to cope he became an escalating sex addict who got even worse when we were told there may have been something wrong with our next child as well. Life has not been fun since our loss. No cards, sympathy, gifts or attention will ever make this experience fun.

And the thing about unbaptized babies is not a true Christian belief. It is quite the opposite. All innocents go straight to be with the Lord. And I do believe all statements of faith that used to have a different view about babies who died believed those babies went to a limbo, not hell. And even Catholics I believe changed that view but a few years ago, saying they officially believed babies went to heaven (I'm not Catholic though....but I remember reading that?).

God have mercy on people who write these things and/or find them amusing.

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
October 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I learned long ago how not to be offended by the internet. But I am confused, because this article isn't funny. I understand that some people are willing to offend others if it will get them a laugh, but there are no laughs to be had, this article isn't funny in any way. I read The Onion, it is supposed to be funny. What exactly is the point of this article? To offend people for no good reason?

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, she is not talking about a miscarriage. I forgot to copy the part I wanted to quote and I do NOT want to give them another hit on the terrible article so I am not going to click the link again. But, she said 'after just four months' , well four months is 20 weeks, and the IS stillbirth.

What a horrible person. I am not normally one to get outraged about things, but this was worse then President Obama's Special Olympics comment. But, I am sure there will be no retraction of this foul humor.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
lilflower
Oh my GOD. Seriously? Well you don't have to email them. I just did! And I don't care if I get STFU response. I'm sure that woman will burn in hell for EVER even thinking of writing that, much less ACTUALLY doing it.
October 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
Proud Momma
holy whoa!?! UN-*****-believable. I clicked on that article thinking it wouldn't be too, too bad, but I seriously have no words. I was absolutely beyond disgusted and I am actually quite livid right now because of that.

I hope that ***** gets what she deserves for writing such awful sh.it. I can not believe someone actually has the balls to even think, let alone write something so horrid.
October 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a big believer in Karma, and that right there is going to get her nothing but bad Karma IMO.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search