First night without a sleeping pill

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last night was my first night without a sleeping pill since I found out Ella was gone...I slept HORRIBLE...All I could think about was stillborn babies, and in my dream I was isolated and no one wanted to come near me...It was just awful and I got no sleep at all...How long did everyone here have to take sleeping pills to sleep? I'm not sure if I should call my doctor or wait till monday when I see him...I don't want to be dependant on sleeping pills forever, but I also need to be able to sleep...I was also wondering if anyone had to take anything for anxiety after they lost their baby? I think that's why I'm not ready to leave my house, I can't stand the thought of being around people, it almost makes me panic...I don't even want people to look at me...I'm not sure if that's normal, or if I should ask my doctor for something to help with that...I can't stay in the house forever...I have made some trips out, but it's been really hard.

October 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
noworries
I didn't take sleeping pills after losing Eli but I also didn't sleep well at all for quite a while (and now it kind of comes and goes, the last week or so were bad again).
Definitely talk to your doctor about your anxiety hon.
October 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I did for a week. And then I stopped taking them and slept badly on and off for another couple of weeks. But I used to suffer from chronic nightmares and did some therapy and learned a lot of relaxation/meditation methods to do to relax my body and mind before sleeping, which helped.

Calling your doctor never hurts, and then you can get his opinion on how much of an issue it is.

October 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess it's different for everyone. I didn't take sleeping pills, but it did took me a while to fall asleep, it still does. I was too afraid of seeing people, like neighboors, coworkers, etc. So I wanted to stay at home all the time. The first few weeks I spent most of the time on the computer googling "stillbirth". When I felt like I needed a break my daughter, dh and I spent a lot of time just sitting on a bench in different parks and playgrounds around my neighborhood because all I wanted to do is to talk about what happened.
What you're experiencing is normal under the circumstances, but check with your doctor and maybe he could prescribe something.

October 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info...I think i'm going to give the weekend a shot with no sleeping pills....I'm just so worried that i'm going to become addicted to them...I've been taking them since October 7th, that's a long time...If worse comes to worse i'm seeing my OB monday, and if I don't think I can make it without them i'll ask for some more...A little while ago when I was dropping my kids off from school a friend came up to the car to tell me something and I swear I almost had an anxiety attack...I've been trying to drop them off early so no one would see me, but we were running late this morning...I hope that feeling goes away soon...We were supposed to go to a Halloween party tomorrow, but I declined the invite...I'm just not ready for that kind of a social outting, and i'm sure not in the happy party kind of a mood...I feel guilty if I even smile or laugh at something (even though it's only been a few times i've done that)...I've had to put on fake smiles for my kids and it's so hard...It's also been a week since the funeral home has had Ella's body and they said they would call when the cremation happens and I still haven't heard from them...I feel just awful knowing that she's just sitting there for so long, I just want it done already....I hope they call today

October 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I took sleeping pills when we lost Ethan, but I took them before too. There are some you can take every night without getting addicted, like Tylenol Simply Sleep and Unisom. I think how you are feeling s definitely normal, it will get easier with time.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 23rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganMomof4 View Post
It's also been a week since the funeral home has had Ella's body and they said they would call when the cremation happens and I still haven't heard from them...I feel just awful knowing that she's just sitting there for so long, I just want it done already....I hope they call today
It took a long time for Cora too. The law where we lived was that the county coroner had to examine every body to be cremated because they couldn't just exhume the remains later if an issue came up. And the coroner went on a 2 week vacation starting the day before Cora was born. It was so hard for me, since I KNEW there wouldn't be an "issues" later, and I just wanted them to do it already.

I hope that you get a call soon. If you don't, you could always call them and see what's going on. (I hated having to do that, but that's how I found out about the stupid coroner issue)

October 23rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
They told me last saturday they were waiting for the death certificate from my doctor, and my paperwork...I went in monday with the paperwork, and they said they had to file something with the health department and that they should get the death certificate on monday...Well it's been 5 days now and they said I would hear from them before the end of the week...They weren't very nice to me when I went in...Maybe nice isn't the word, maybe it was just me feeling weird being there, but I don't want to call them....My sister said if I don't hear from them by today she'd call for me if I wanted her to....I also want her to find more info on setting up a service...They weren't any help to me when I went in...She gave me a paper in a folder and circled the prices and that was all the info they gave me

October 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took melatonin for a while. It is what your brain makes naturally that makes you sleepy. You can take it for longer than chemical sleeping pills without lasting affects. I only took it for about 4 days after Bryan Luke's funeral. I was at the hospital for a week after his birth, then came home and did his funeral the next day. Then I took the pills.

DH went back to work after that and he worked nights then, so I was alone going to sleep each night. I woke up with nightmares MANY times. I found that falling asleep while listening to the Bible on my iPod helped me sleep without the nightmares. I have very few and far between nightmares now.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search