H1N1 vaccine *pregnancy mentioned*

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Proud Momma
So this has been huge topic around where I live and nobody knows what to think about the vaccine...but the problem is, this dang flu is spreading quite fast, which is very scary.

My question to everyone (and in particular to all you other pregnant ladies) is: have you gotten the vaccine yet? will you be getting it? will you not be getting it? Please give me your reasons for doing it or not doing it...I really need some help and opinions...

I'm totally on the fence with this one. I really think it's a good idea to have it done, but then there's always those people who are so against it and say there's not enough evidence to back it up that it's safe for pregnant women, which gets me all worried. Living in Canada, as usual we're a lot slower to get things than the US...so we just received the vaccines last week...but the non-adjuvant one (the one they recommend for pregnant women) has not yet arrived and probably won't be here until the 2nd or 3rd week of November. So if I do get it done, it probably won't be until a couple more weeks at the earliest.

I obviously do not want this stupid H1N1 flu because I know it could be quite catastrophic and I don't want to be in a position that I regret just not having had the vaccine. But there's the other worry in me that worries that they just don't know enough about whether it's safe or not for pregnant women...I'd like to think the side effects of the vaccine is much less than actually getting the H1N1.
October 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
TanyaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I know I don't post here often but I believe that they are changing up things and the consultants (known as SAGE) have advised the WHO that there is no difference between giving the adjuvant vaccine or the non adjuvant vaccine. Here's the link to my local paper about it. Medicine Hat News - H1N1 vaccine supply dwindles just as demand begins to surge They are also thinking that one vaccine instead of two for children is enough.

October 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Proud Momma
hmmmm, yea see I was on the phone with my mom as soon as I posted this thread and she told me the same thing - that now they say the adjuvant one is safe for pregnant women. But this worries me too...there are so many contradictions to everything everyone says. One minute they're saying one thing and the next they're saying, "no it's fine" or "no it's not good" ugh...

Thanks for the link though!
October 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be getting the H1N1 shot when we get it at our base, not voluntarily though. It will be mandatory for me, I wouldn't get it if I didn't have to. I just don't know how safe it is and I wouldn't be willing to take the risk.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
October 31st, 2009, 06:49 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
have you gotten the vaccine yet? Nope
will you be getting it? Nope
will you not be getting it? That is correct

NOT STARTING A PRO / ANTI VACCINE DEBATE, JUST MY TWO PERSONAL CENTS BELOW:

I, personally, don't think there have been enough studies conducted. The H1N1 flu seemed to have surfaced so quickly that the vaccine surfaced even quicker. Are we sure that all the proper studies have been conducted? Are we sure that they are not by default recommending it to the 'vulnerable groups' (elderly, children, pregnant women)?

I am pro-vaccines for adults, for children, for infants, etc. However --- I am also cautious about what I am putting into my body during the pregnancy. This is why I will also not be getting the seasonal flu vaccine. I could've gotten it for free through work, but after asking around, I obtained the crucial information about the ingredients --- and Thimerosal was one of them. And FluMist --- which is Thimersoal-free --- is not appropriate for pregnant women. So I made the decision to NOT get the flu vaccine during this pregnancy.

And yes, because I'm so pro-vaccine but cautious at the same time, Julia is on a modified schedule as will be Pippi (but I realize that is another story for another board )

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
October 31st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
I got it. I also think its about how high risk of a place you work in. I am a teacher. I have never gotten a flu shot. I have never gotten the flu. I still didn't get the regular flu shot this year. But then one of my very own students who I have in my classroom came down with it. He was in school Monday and Tuesday then his mother called Wednesday to say he definitely had H1N1. I freaked out. He's been out of school for a full week but you better believe that when I had my appt. on Tuesday I asked about the vax. I knew the vaccine wouldn't help against what I'd already been exposed to (and considered getting on antivirals just in case) but if 1 kid has it chance are he's not going to be the only one. Around that same time 3 other kids from that very same class went home sick, although didn't end up having the flu.

So my doctor said he's never gotten a flu shot and this year he vaxed himself, his wife and his kids against both. So that told me that maybe I should seriously consider it.

My mil said that when she went to get her shot (she works in a hospital), she gets one every year and this is the first time she's been in a line with so many doctors. They are usually all too impatient to wait in the lines but they were ALL getting the H1N1.

Just found out yesterday that my bil has a high fever a headache and body aches...luckily we haven't seen him in a week or been in their house but I'm starting to worry about ds. He got the regular flu mist but hasn't gotten the h1n1 yet.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

October 31st, 2009, 06:59 AM
littlebeansmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlpisces View Post
have you gotten the vaccine yet? Nope
will you be getting it? Nope
will you not be getting it? That is correct

NOT STARTING A PRO / ANTI VACCINE DEBATE, JUST MY TWO PERSONAL CENTS BELOW:

I, personally, don't think there have been enough studies conducted. The H1N1 flu seemed to have surfaced so quickly that the vaccine surfaced even quicker. Are we sure that all the proper studies have been conducted? Are we sure that they are not by default recommending it to the 'vulnerable groups' (elderly, children, pregnant women)?

I am pro-vaccines for adults, for children, for infants, etc. However --- I am also cautious about what I am putting into my body during the pregnancy. This is why I will also not be getting the seasonal flu vaccine. I could've gotten it for free through work, but after asking around, I obtained the crucial information about the ingredients --- and Thimerosal was one of them. And FluMist --- which is Thimersoal-free --- is not appropriate for pregnant women. So I made the decision to NOT get the flu vaccine during this pregnancy.

And yes, because I'm so pro-vaccine but cautious at the same time, Julia is on a modified schedule as will be Pippi (but I realize that is another story for another board )
I couldn't have said it any better myself. Being pregnant, I did make sure that DS got his seasonal flu shot, because he tends to bring home more bugs than DH or I would ever pick up. I'm just sooooo uncomfortable with putting anything into my body that I'm not 100% sure about. I do know there is a debate out there that if you get the H1N1 shot, your baby will have some antibodies to it once it's born, so that would be the ONLY reason I would ever consider getting it. This flu has been going around our community for over a month now and we have not gotten it yet. Those that get it seem to get a very mild version of it. I feel like if 99% of the people get a mild version and recover quickly from it, why risk the shot for the chance that I *might* be in that 1% that has complications.

So nope, I'm not getting it. And nope, I'm not getting my seasonal flu shot either. Much to my OB's dismay.
DS #1:

My precious angel DS#2:

My rainbow DS#3:

My Princess #4:
October 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I were still pregnant, I don't think I would of gotten it...At my last prenatal checkup they were going to give me the flu shot, but I was just getting over some sort of flu so they didn't (Wondering if it was the H1N1, i'm not sure)....I probably won't be getting the regular flu shot either (I've only had it once when I was pregnant with my son)....I do however get my kids the regular flu shot (which I haven't done yet)...I guess I don't really have a reason why I wouldn't of gotten it pregnant, probably just because things like that scare me.

October 31st, 2009, 02:01 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I got the vaccine. H1N1 has hit my area pretty hard. Ethan died because of a preventable, easily treatable disease that I had. I am not willing to go through that again. The vaccine is a risk, and the flu is a risk, it really boils down to which risk you are more comfortable with. For me it's the vaccine. I got the vaccine Wednesday, so far the twins are doing fine.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Last edited by rebeccabaltimore and more; October 31st, 2009 at 02:03 PM.
October 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
TanyaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not pg so I don't have to think about a baby that I am carrying but like Rebecca, H1N1 is in our area and running quite rampant. There have been many hospitalizations related to it and after losing one child I would rather risk the effects of a vaccine than to lose my other children to the H1N1 flu. I just couldn't imagine not doing it and then having one of my girls end up in serious condition in the hospital and knowing that I may have been able to prevent it if we had done the vaccine. My whole family had theirs done on Thursday and we also did the regular flu shot.

October 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Proud Momma
yea...the H1N1 seems to be getting quite out of control here where I live too It's getting quite scary and considering I work with different customers every day and so many stupid people out there don't know how to cover their mouth when they cough / sneeze...who knows what germs are flying around and what I'm breathing in.

I would never be able to forgive myself if I ended up getting the flu and something awful happened to baby

Kathryn and Rebecca...did you guys get the unadjuvant one or the one with the added adjuvant? (I'm not sure what you guys have in the US).
October 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I don't actually know which one I got. I have done a lot of reading on Thimerosol and do not consider it to be a threat, so I wasn't concerned with which one I got. If I had to guess I'd say non-adjuvent, I don't think they've run out of that yet in MD.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 31st, 2009, 08:08 PM
Super Mommy
I got it. I have never gotten a flu vaccine. I have never had the flu. My feeling on this is that they have made flu vaccines for years. They made the H1N1 vaccine the same way they have made all other vaccines. Too many pregnant women have died from H1N1. It is too risky. I am not pro-vaccinations by any means but this one to me has killed too many pregnant women to make me comfortable with skipping it. Also, I work retail, so I have to deal with face to face contact with people on a daily basis. The biggest deciding factor was that this is my only opportunity to pass the immunity along to my baby girl. I figure this will make me feel a little more comfortable if I have to take her to the pediatricians office because I know she is safe.
October 31st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been debating about whether I should get H1N1 shot for my 7 year old daughter. I'm still undecided at this point again due to the fact that I know the vaccine hasn't been tested that well. On the other hand, I had my daughter get her regular flu shot today pretty much for the first time in her life. Neither DH or I had ever any kind of flu shots ever before. I felt though that I needed to do it for her so I won't ever regret it later. I guess I'm starting to take things more seriously after what happened with Eric. Just my two cents here.

October 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got it, as well as the seasonal flu vaccine. This is the first year I have ever gotten a flu shot. But this year I am working at a bank (with people who tend to come to work when sick, grrr), so I'm at a higher risk than I ever have been before for picking it up. If that were the only factor, however, I probably wouldn't have gotten them. But the flu is all OVER this year, chances are pretty high that I will come into contact with it. My immune system is usually pretty good, but with all the anxiety and stress I'm under this year, how tired I am working full time, and being pregnant... I do feel that I'm at a higher risk. Plus I'm going to be flying home to Canada in February, while pregnant, and if I get sick it tends to be from spending extended periods on a plane.

Beyond all that, I am nervous about vaccines in general. I got the injectable version, preservative-free. I was willing to wait to get this specific injection, but luckily my OB had it handy. I am not concerned about the h1n1 vax more than the seasonal flu, as they are all produced every year from different flu strains. I don't believe the h1n1 is any riskier than the seasonal.

If I wasn't pregnant right now I would NOT have gotten the vaccines, and I just would have dealt with the flu if I got it. Most likely even if I get it it will be a mild version. BUT there is that CHANCE it could have a high fever, and that is what freaks me out. I had food poisoning for one day a few weeks ago, and even though I knew it had nothing to do with the baby I still was a nervous wreck for a while. So I really want to take any precautions I can against getting sick with something more serious, because it'll affect me mentally very badly.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 31st, 2009, 10:03 PM
lilflower
I'm not getting the vaccine. I decided not to get it because of being pregnant. I don't get a normal flu vaccine, so why would I pump another vaccine in? I know it sounds crazy, and just an FYI I do believe in vaccinating children, but these darn flu shots every year are WHY the flu keeps getting worse every year. We're creating superbugs. They have to modify and get stronger every year because so many people pump themselves full of useless vaccines. Flu vaccines aren't even 60% effective in preventing the flu!

Lucky me, I contracted H1N1, had it confirmed, and no longer even have to worry about being vaccinated or not.

It's a really personal choice for everyone. And you have to make the call for you. If you are worried about the virus causing lung complications get the pneumonia vaccine to help prevent viral pneumonia that comes with the flu in the last trimester of pregnancy. Good luck with your decision.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search