The "miracle" of modern technology

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I was talking to a friend of mine recently about the end of her recent pregnancy (baby Charley is nearly weeks old). They confirmed via u/s that her fluid levels were dangerously low and induced at 37w1d. They had to induce her first at 36 weeks because of the same thing, and her second was induced at 38 weeks because her levels were the low end of normal and it was a convenient day for the doctor, so they went ahead with it.

She said to me, "I'm so glad to live now, with the miracle of modern technology, because if I didn't have ultrasounds checking my fluid levels my babies would probably have all been stillborn."

I'm GLAD for her that she has her babies. I am.

But I hate that technology failed me so utterly horribly. ((Okay, not the technology itself, but the people USING it))

November 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't posted here before, but I couldn't help it on this thread. I totally understand being angry and resentful of medical professionals that don't use the technology they have at their fingertips!

I had a stillborn baby boy 7 years ago at 26 weeks because the doctors at the military clinic I went to refused to see me, even when i started to feel contractions. I finally said "*** this!" and went to the civilian hospital ER (which my insurance through the army kindly refused to pay for!) and by the time I got to the hospital it was too late, I was almost fully dilated, there was nothign they could do to stop labor. Baby had a heartbeat when I got there, but by the time he was born, he had died. I was SO ANGRY at those doctors for refusing to see me! I knew something was wrong for THREE DAYS before I actually went into labor with my angel Aidan.

After he was born my (now ex) husband told them he didn't think I could handle having baby around to say goodbye to.. . .Did they ask me? Did they even assess? no! They just took him! I never got to see or hold him! Ok.. .rant over. Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to post.. .I just. . ..get angry even now, seven years later, at those retarded physicians! ! ! ! !
November 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM
I still get angry too. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! I'm so sorry that you didn't get to see him and hold him.

For me it was just that while it's perfectly OBVIOUS in my ultrasound pictures that she was wrapped up in her cord....nobody ever told me. Of course I can see it NOW, but I'm not trained to look at ultrasounds...I didn't know then. But if I can see it now....shouldn't they have been able to see it then???

November 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Super Mommy
My doctor told me at my 6wk pp visit that nuchal cord isn't something they can track by ultrasound because the cord floats etc. At that point I had already read Dr. Collins' research (who called me back last night and i'm going to hopefully be monitored by him this time! yay!) and i knew she was wrong. I can see the cord around Joey's neck. I also had many warning signs that I explained to Dr. Collins and he just said "wow"...he couldn't believe I was sent home time and again between 38 and 40wks and not induced. I was listening to my body but my doctors were not listening to me.

I wish I could sue them.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

November 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure if i'm angry about that yet....It all depends on what i'm told from the atopsy...If for any reason her death had to do with my surgery, then i'm going to be FURIOUS...I don't think they intended anything to happen, but I was told MANY MANY times by all 3 doctors that it was safe and nothing would happen...I love my OB, but he told me (In his words) "something horrible would have to happen to you before anything would happen to the baby" ...I think she passed away within the week after my surgery...I'm actually hoping it's something different because I can't live my life with the guilt of having that surgery knowing it killed my baby...I also wonder about her cord too...We saw it in the ultrasound at 19 weeks, but It was just for a second and I never paid much attention to it.

November 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom and my MIL both insist that this was my doctor's fault. I, however, don't think so because we don't know the reason. It was definately not a cord issue (but then who knows because from what I'm reading it's a cord issue if nothing else is found), there were no fluid problems, everything looked fine according to him 5 days before we found out. But what I noticed about my dr is that he became more comfortable with me because he handled my first (uneventful) pregnancy then this problem-free pregnancy. My appointments were always quick, he didn't bother educating about the lack of movements, and he claims that he never had a stillbirth before me which I don't necessarily beleive. And I can't help but think that there shoud be more done afterwards on detecting what went wrong. They have entire history in their offices, saved ultrasounds, etc. No reason is not good for me. But he seemed to be "done" with me after I came for my 6 week check-up. If I knew or had some proof that it was the doctor's fault, I would definately sue because I beleive that someone who was negligent should be punished.

November 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Diabetes is not a new illness. HOW DID THEY NOT NOTICE I WAS DIABETIC? Poor Ethan had ruined kidneys because it did not occur to anyone to test the fat chick with a diabetic parent for diabetes!!!

In their defense, when you have extreme nausea and pee constantly, they check for diabetes, unless you're PREGNANT, then they call it morning sickness and having your kidneys work for two.

I just miss my son.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

November 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't know Rebecca, it's so simple to test for diabetes. I think it should be one of the standard first trimester tests (with the GD testing later too). I mean, the triple screen is SO common, but the results aren't nearly as accurate.

*sigh* In a perfect world we'd all have our babies.....

November 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
noworries
I can't blame any medical anything on my loss of Eli (sometimes I wish I could so I wouldn't have to blame myself). I got a virus that I couldn't do anything about (but I really hate knowing that it was something that I had that killed him) and Eli had Trisomy 13 so even if the virus hadn't killed him, the Trisomy 13 would have.
I have a friend whose baby died at 31 weeks (this happened 13 years ago) and she has since learned that what her little boy had is now easily fixed with today's technology. That really was heartbreaking for her to learn.
November 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's so so hard to know that medicine can only do so much and that hospitals and doctors make errors in judgement.... that can ultimately lead to our baby's death. In my case there's really no one to blame (but maybe me) because there was no warning signs, nothing to test for, nothing to see on the ultrasound. maybe if I had gone in earlier they could have saved him but.... maybe not.

One of the hardest things about the whole experience was knowing that there are no miracle cures, no guarantees. I told my doctor the day of the stillbirth that I was just so stunned, so absolutely in disbelief... that you believe that if something is wrong you go to the doctor and they fix it. I NEVER thought you'd just... find something you can't fix. That it would just be over, and that's it.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
November 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
I told my doctor the day of the stillbirth that I was just so stunned, so absolutely in disbelief... that you believe that if something is wrong you go to the doctor and they fix it. I NEVER thought you'd just... find something you can't fix. That it would just be over, and that's it.
That's exactly it. I thought that stillbirth didn't happen anymore. I didn't expect it. I mean, they can keep babies alive that are born at 24 weeks....but my full term baby didn't make it...It still bewilders me to this day.

November 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
That's exactly it. I thought that stillbirth didn't happen anymore. I didn't expect it. I mean, they can keep babies alive that are born at 24 weeks....but my full term baby didn't make it...It still bewilders me to this day.
Yeah, exactly. I didn't know it happened like that. Ever. Not anymore. Bewildered is a good word.

It's why I'm so absolutely paranoid this time. So much of it is just... chance. Random. "Luck." And I have awful luck.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
November 3rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A couple years ago my nieces friend went into labor and her baby was stillborn, but I think he was alive during labor...They tried to get him to breath after he was born, but he never did...I remember just feeling horrible for her...We weren't able to go to the funeral because we were leaving on vacation, but I gave them some money in a card (to help with funeral costs)...I never thought that i'd go threw the same thing....I remember imagaining how awful it would be to have that happen, but I didn't really understand till it happend to me....She's now pregnant again and is due right before i would of been due.

November 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Modern technology has its shortcomings. Many put so much faith in ultrasounds when they are not always accurate. No data or research has ever painted ultrasounds as something that yields completely accurate results all the time. It's even less accurate depending on the person performing it.

I can't say I was angry. I was puzzled even though I knew ultrasounds don't pick up everything or 'detect' things that end up being nothing. I would have been less puzzled and dismayed if it were minor things missed. I'm convinced it wasn't thoroughly done and was rushed, as things commonly are in OB/CNM military treatment clinics.

Modern technology 'fails' sometimes. Some people land in someone's care that turns a deaf ear to concerns and worries. That's hard. However, it's often hard to spot potential or would be problems in low risk pregnancies where mom doesn't show signs of a problem or a problem wasn't noted early on. A lot can be missed if a pregnancy is not outwardly high risk.

November 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore View Post
Diabetes is not a new illness. HOW DID THEY NOT NOTICE I WAS DIABETIC? Poor Ethan had ruined kidneys because it did not occur to anyone to test the fat chick with a diabetic parent for diabetes!!!

In their defense, when you have extreme nausea and pee constantly, they check for diabetes, unless you're PREGNANT, then they call it morning sickness and having your kidneys work for two.

I just miss my son.
(((hugs)))

It would make more sense if they did the A1c at the first appt. That way it will be known early on if mom likely has prediabetes or diabetes before the pregnancy hormones begin to affect how mom metabolizes glucose later in pregnancy. It's normal for some to metabolize glucose at a slower rate later in pregnancy, which is what gestational IGT is (not GD since the 'disease' is not the same as long standing diabetes).

Current research has shown the moms that have severely impaired glucose readings 180> when they do the GTT are likely prediabetics or diabetics. When it's labeled 'gestational' it gives the mom the impression that it's just caused by pregnancy hormones and is isolated to the pregnancy itself. But it's often not a response to the pregnancy, but a preexisting condition that goes unnoticed and labeled a pregnancy related condition.

Blood work should also be done at the postpartum visit with patients that test with high numbers to rule out preexisting diabetes. The hidden diabetics are the ones at risk for complications, not women with gestational IGT. They could also have mom test her glucose at home early in pregnancy to help rule out long standing diabetes.

I declined the GTT during my last pregnancy and this pregnancy because it's a flawed test and nonexistent dx based on lab values that are not reproducible 50-70% of the time. There's no logic in having a pregnant woman ingest 50 mg of sugar on her already taxed system and expect her to 'perform' or metabolize glucose at the same rate and same values as non-pregnant patients. Home monitoring and eating normal meals yields accurate results.

Anywho, no real point to that except to say there are better ways to screen 'at risk' patients for the disease that actually presents with symptoms and complications (gIGT doesn't present with symptoms and complications are not that of true diabetes). The A1c test should be routine along with all the other blood work. Home testing should also be considered.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search