Big huge long vent...

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Hello ladies. I really wasn't sure whether or not to post this in here. I had decided for a while not to post in this forum anymore, having an uneasy feeling (who knew 16 days made such a difference) but kept coming back because I have gotten attached to so many of you here. I decided I really need to vent after being up all night. I have been having a very hard time lately, and am at my wits end. But there is a lot of backstory. I apologize in advance, but I think I just need to type everything all out and it is probably gonna be long.

4 and a half years ago or so my husband and I decided to have a baby. Time seemed as good as it would get, my son is autistic and had finally made enough progress that we felt we could handle another one. I had been approved for SSI for panic disorder w/ Agoraphobia that keeps me from working, but I manage to handle fairly well when it comes to parenting and other aspects of my life. So we started trying and month after month nothing happened. I was so frustrated I got pregnant with Alexander so easily, he was a one night stand gone bad in fact (best mistake I ever made). Then I got a bad yeast infection. I went to the Dr for it and despite medication, and all sorts of other crazy things it wouldn't go away for 4 months. So my OB asked me to take a blood test for diabetes, because this can happen in diabetics... high sugar feeds the yeast. Long story short I am a type 2 diabetic.

So I had to stop trying and get the diabetes under control. Then I had to go to a high risk prenatal center for a diabetic prepregnancy program to prepare to get pregnant because type 2 diabetes is very dangerous in pregnancy. Finally during all this we find out that the diabetes shut down my ovaries. After 6 months of pretending I am pregnant and practicing controlling my sugars really well, they decided we could get pregnant and We were prescribed clomid. After two months we finally got pregnant! I was so elated I had waited 3 and a half years for this. But then I got really really sick, not morning sickness, I could barely function or move I had no strength. We went back and forth to the ER doing ultrasounds and betas every few days, they were puzzled because the betas were good and high, but they couldn't see the baby just a sac. Finally one day they sent me to a bigger fancier ultrasound place for a more indepth ultrasound. Turns out I was having twins, one sac was hidden and my betas were higher because of that. YAY, we knew there was a chance of twins. We saw the high risk clinic and I practically lived there, and it was hard work. I had lots and lots of ultrasounds, and got to see the babies all the time, At around 20 weeks one of the babies started not growing as well. Around 25 weeks she stopped growing all together, 26 weeks she started failing her Non stress tests. Her cord was not working as well as it should, one complication that can happen with diabetes, damage to our viens from high sugar causes us circulation problems and can cause the same problems with circulation to the umbilical cord. Finally at 29 weeks they said she was going to die if they didn't take her out, her cord was just stopping blood flow completely every 5 seconds or so.

So December 29, 2008 I gave birth to my two beautiful girls Genevive was born first at 3 lb 1 oz, and Lillian was born second at 1lb 13oz. They were both gorgeous.

SO of course both babies went into the NICU. They were both doing fantastic for thier gestation. At two weeks old Genevive got sick. She had a disease called NEC which in rare cases can be very severe and cause a bowel perforation. Genevive has surgery twice and lost most of her bowel to the disease. At 16 days old She passed away due to overwhelming sepsis from the perforation, and we now know she also had a staph infection from Klebsiella oxytoca. I could go on for hours about my Genevive, But I will say she passed away peacefully in my arms. We spent the whole day with her, and made a lot of memories and took beautiful photos. And she had an extravagant funeral, it was truly beautiful.

Right after the funeral Lillian took a turn for the worst. It turns out she meningitis, the same bacteria as Genevive, Klebsiella, in her spinal fluid. She had a rough two weeks but pulled through it ok. And the rest of her NICU stay was fairly uneventful, just the usual preemie stuff. After 67 days she came home at a whopping 4 lb 5 oz. She has been growing and thriving, and is a happy spunky 10.5 month old now. She is gorgeous! She weighs 15 lb 5 oz last wednesday.

I know that things are good now, But I have just been having such a hard time. When the 9 month anniversary of genevive's death came and went I started not being able to sleep. I thought it was the same little bout of depression I got at both 3 months and 6 months. But it just hasn't stopped. My anxiety has been out of control. I cannot sleep at night, I am up all night and can only fall asleep in the morning when Eddy gets up. I have panic attacks all night long and a lot of the day. I have been skipping appointments, and having a hard time keeping my diabetes under control. I think it might be a cross of the 9 month anniversary, and the 1 year being so close, as well as thier birthday coming up and the holiday season started. I am dwelling on all of these things. I have always been able to keep a handle on my anxiety disorder and do the important things in my life. And now I am failing at that.

And people just don't understand, most people don't take anxiety serious. They think it is the same as when someone says they are stressed. But an anxiety disorder like panic disorder is a real mental illness, it stops you from doing things. It governs your life, you react to things in a way you are not supposed to. Then you add on the whole grief aspect of it, my baby died and everyone seems to have forgotten. I have been told to move on, but you don't move on from something like that. You learn to live with it of course, and I am trying very hard, but I am so afraid of something happening to Lillian and I miss genevive so much. And there is no one to talk to about it, no one wants to talk about a baby dieing. I am feeling very alone and very afraid and having a hard time functioning.

I really just want to sleep, I am getting barely 4 hours a day. I laid down last night for hours hoping to fall sleep, when I finally did I woke up 45 minutes later because Lillian coughed. I was afraid she was gagging and stopped breathing. She is just getting over the flu, and she is asthmatic, micropreemies like her have a lot of lung issues.

I told my counselor and my doctor that my anxiety was getting out of control, and he prescribed me lexapro and ativan. The ativan is a very small dose and won't help the major anxiety I am having, plus it is habit forming so I am afraid to take it a lot. The lexapro helped immensly, but my insurance normally won't cover it and the doctor still hasn't filed the form to have it covered. I have been waiting and waiting. In the meantime of course I am missing my apointments for my diabetes and what not because I hole myself into the house when my anxiety is to high, that is what agorophobia is. I have left my house I think twice in the last month and a half. Halloween and a parent teacher conference at Alex's school. And that was terrible, my anxiety in the car was so bad I was sure we would get into an accident.

I know these thoughts are abnormal, and I know that is what mental illness is. but that doesn't stop them from coming and they feel real. When I say I am afraid of something I am really feeling afraid. Remember when you last were scared, and imagine feeling like that all of the time, it is paralyzing.

I just want to sleep, and I want to go out, and I want to stop being afraid. I know a baby can die now, and I am not sure how to get over that. I am afraid something will happen to Lillian, SIDS, RSV, there are so many things that can affect a preemie, its scary. And I know the holidays are coming and I am afraid everyone will forget genevive and pretend she didn't exist. No one talks about her and people avoid me like a plague, I have the "make a baby die disease". I just can't handle that. I know I have Lillian but that doesn't replace the other. And I feel a lack of support. The child loss forum is pretty much dead, the stillbirth forum I feel as if I don't belong in there. People with a loss don't get mental illness, and people with mental illness don't understand grief.

I feel I am truly going out of my mind. Insanity is taking over, and I have my children to take care of. When I woke up at 4am after just having fallen asleep, I just broke down. I am trying everything can and I can't stop what is going on. I have gotten comments about how Genevive is gone and I have to be healthy for my living children. BUT I am not choosing this. I would give anything at this point for some sleep, it just won't come. I am trying to be healthy, I think stress is affecting my sugars, which then causes even more anxiety. I feel like I am being swallowed up by a dark cloud. And trying to pretend everything is ok is exhausting.

SO anyhow not sure exactly what the point of this post is, except to get it all out I guess. Anyone got any ideas? I need to fix me.
November 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM
noworries
Wow honey, I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I would be calling your doctor and getting that Lexapro, keep bugging him until he does whatever he needs to do for you to get it. Can you maybe also talk to your doctor about something to help you sleep? I wish I could be of more help. HUGS
November 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Oh Jenny, I'm so sorry you are having trouble. I suffer from bad anxiety too, panic attacks are so hard to live with. Can they try a different medication? I have had a lot of success with Lamictal. Diabetes is tough to live with too, I really struggle some days. I wish I could give you a big hug!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

November 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have any advice, but I agree, you need to call your doctor's office every day till they do what they need to do...I don't know what to say about sleep because i'm also having the same problem...I have sleeping pills, but they are no longer working...I really truely hope that you can have some peace soon...Even though you feel like you don't belong here, we will all be here for you

November 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
awww hun im sat here close to tears for you i feel sad cause there is nothing i can do to help, i hope u can get help hun

sending some sleep dust hun

November 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
Like the other girls said, harass your Dr. until the necessary paperwork is filled out for your medication. It's very important. I really don't suffer from any anxiety or stress really, but have you consider a grief counselor or maybe a psychiatrist? To me it sounds like you have a lot of grieving to still do for Genevive. You didn't get the proper time you needed because you still have Lillian and your other children to care for. You are taking on a lot and need help. Bottling things up isn't good for you and you should never hesitate to come here. I know your loss wasn't a stillbirth, but we are all here to help when you need it. Your loss, no matter how it happened, is still painful and we all know that pain.

You need to get some sleep also. I wouldn't recommend sleeping pills for every night, but you should ask your Dr. for maybe 5 Ambien, or something lighter so you can fall asleep when you need to. I took Ambien for a month or so and it knocked me out with in 10 minutes of taking it and I didn't wake again till the morning, so if it's only you caring for Lillian at night, it might not be a great idea. If you could get some one to come over for a few nights to take care of her for you, and relieve that stress you should be able to get a good nights sleep or two.

I wish the best for you and your family. You've been on a long windy road and some day soon I hope it straightens out for you.

November 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry you are going through so much right now.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Oh Jenny, I'm so sorry. Like Stephanie said, please don't feel bad about posting here. We're here if you need us. You really have so much going on at once.

I don't have anything else to add, just more

November 13th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
awe, thanks you guys. I did call the doctors office yesterday and ask if there was a nurse to speak to or something. They said that they can request the dr call. So i did that. But he wasn't in so he should call me today. I will explain everything in detail and see if we can't get the form filled or a new med prescribed.

I spent the day trying to de-stress, I took care of some of the things that have been causing me anxiety. Had a long talk with Eddy about it. He is a very supportive husband, thank goodness. And I think he has taken a liking to the fact that I am cooking meals in the middle of the night so he wakes up to treats. I figure if i can't sleep i might as well get some stuff done. Last night I cooked 6 pounds of ground beef, made 2 of it into a meatloaf, froze two of it, and made the other two into taco meat so i can put together some quesadillas. I enjoy cooking, it was fun.

Also yesterday my sister Mel IMed me and asked if she could decorate her xmas tree purple and keep it up until the 14th in honor of Genevive. I balled my eyes out of course, but I really needed that.
November 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope it will get better from now on. Hugs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search