Is there anyone else...

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
...who didn't dress their baby, and/or keep the blanket they were wrapped in?

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

January 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
We have the blanket Noah was wrapped in, but not the little outfit they dressed him in. The blanket still has some blood stains on it and I rarely take it out to look at it. When I do take it out, I get hysterical and relive that dreaded day all over again

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
January 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ella wasn't really dressed...They had a little dress for her, that they laid over her for a couple of pictures...Because her body was so soft they couldn't actually get it on her and they also put a couple of hats on her, but other than that she wasn't dressed.

oh and Ella's blanket still has her outline on it (From the blood/fluid she lost), and I always touch it...Is that strange? same with her hats...I think it smells like her....I always hold her blanket over me, it makes me feel like i'm holding her again.

January 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
they took jessica away after she was born then bought her back in the little dress hat and nappy i didnt have a blanket its one of those ''i wish'' things i had of done

January 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, I didn't either. We didn't dress Devin - the hospital did put him in some very cheap little clothes, and gave them to us, but I honestly have zero attachment to them, I don't even remember him wearing them, he was wrapped in a blanket the whole time. I had no clothes for him, and I doubt I would have thought to put him in them anyways.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
WE didn't dress Calypso. They took her away and gave her a bath and dressed her. I wish they'd told us we could do that
January 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM
It's not something that I "wish" I had done. I did what was natural for me. I was just wondering if I was strange. Good to know I'm not the only one.

January 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I probably would of dressed Ella if she had been big enough, and in the right shape...I had a week to prepare myself before she was born...I did take a t'shirt and booties to the hospital with me, but they were way too big for her, so I just out them next to her...I think having all that extra time really helped me figure out what I wanted to do when she was born...I knew she was going to be too small.

January 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They had him dressed when they brought him to me in ICU. I was so drugged up on Mag and Morphine that I was too fuzzy to be able to coordinate getting him undressed. I kinda wish I'd been able to do that or asked someone else to do it. I wanted to see all of him, but I never did.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
January 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
We didn't dress the girls. I had no idea we could. The hospital didn't do anything besides wrap them in blankets. We don't have those either. We do have little hats from the hospital though. They are now part of the girls shadow boxes.

January 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
The hospital was great, they dressed him in this wrap thingy that the nurse had sewn herself - no one sells clothes for babies as small as he was.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I think the dress they had for Ella was hand made, it was like a hospital gown thing that opened in the back and had a tie around the neck....It looks like it would fit a barbie doll.

January 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't dress Colm, but we have a 'christening' style gown that the nurse put on him. It was too big, but it was nice to see him in something. I wish I had taken the blanket he was wrapped in before they put him in the gown. They wrapped him in a different blanket afterwards, but I would like to have had the original receiving blanket.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Proud Momma
The day before I gave birth to her, my mom went to the Gap intentionally to try to find an outfit for her. I met her there and we tried looking for the smallest outfit we could find. We knew she would only be just over a pound, so even the preemie outfits were way too big. We ended up buying a pretty pink blanket and a pink baby hat.

My sister told me she was going to bring me a receiving blanket from when her girls were babies so it would be a gift from Katrina's cousins to her

The next day at the hospital, the nurses were so wonderful and before I gave birth to her, they came in with 2 of the tiniest outfits that had been donated by people for situations like this. They gave us the option of a white one or a pink one with white polka dots. We chose the pink one.

Once she was born we placed the little pink outfit on her and she was still swimming in it. She was so precious. Then we wrapped her in the receiving blanket that my sister/nieces brought specifically for her. We tried the little baby hat on her but it was waaaay too big and covered her whole face, so we just put it on for a few moments and then brought it home with us (one thing I truly regret is not taking any pictures of her in that baby hat. She was so adorable wearing it and I have always kicked myself for not even thinking of at least taking a few pics of Katrina wearing it).

That is the outfit we got her cremated in.
January 9th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBethsMommy View Post
They had him dressed when they brought him to me in ICU. I was so drugged up on Mag and Morphine that I was too fuzzy to be able to coordinate getting him undressed. I kinda wish I'd been able to do that or asked someone else to do it. I wanted to see all of him, but I never did.
I think that's one of the reasons I never dressed Cora. I spent my time looking at her hands and feet, and then we wrapped her in the blanket.

To be honest I didn't even bring an outfit for her. She wouldn't need it. And the blanket she was wrapped in went out the door with the man from the funeral home. I don't even know if he took it or left it at the hospital (though I'm leaning towards him taking it with him). He actually brought a blanket with him, that had been donated for parents in such situations, and I wrapped it around her around the blanket she was already wrapped in, but kept that. It had nothing from her on it, and it's the only blanket I haven't actually used for either of my other babies.

January 10th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I had a sleepsuit for Ceilidh. To be honest I was so young I didn't think of hunting out the perfect outfit for her. We found out she wouldn't survive when I was 17 weeks pregnant and we just stopped buying things. So the sleepsuit I dressed her in was one I had bought not long after I found out I was pregnant. I had a shawl that my aunt had crocheted for her so she was wrapped in that. The midwife gave us a hat for her as we didn't have one. When we left the hospital 3 days later I was told it was best to change her into a hospital gown as the nurse couldn't guarantee us getting her sleepsuit back. So we took everything home with us.
She is buried in the family Christening gown that I was Christened in and we had bought a set of two blankets, we covered her with one and kept one.
January 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
TanyaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a coming home outfit that I was going to use but when we found out the baby was gone I didn't take it with me. I did take a receiving blanket for him though. When he was born, they took tons of pictures of him naked but before they handed him to me they dressed him in a yellow gown, then wrapped him in our blanket and then a small quilt that had been donated to the bereaved. I never unwrapped him to look at him and I do wish that I would have held him naked and looked him over completely myself. The only time I saw him undressed was immediately after the birth and in pictures. After I was released from the hospital we went out and bought an outfit just for him. We didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl and with previously having a girl we didn't have any boy clothes. So, that special outfit and another new receiving blanket were put on him at the funeral home and those are what he was cremated in. The outfit and blankets that he wore at the hospital were brought home with us. I pulled those out and smelled them sooo often in the first year. It was amazing to me how much they smelled like him even after the funeral home washed them for me.

January 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM
lilflower
I didn't dress Noah, They gave me a little blue hat and blue blanket along with his "name card" (Not sure if that's the right word, maybe birth card?) that had his footprints and I held him in the hospital blanket. I still have the hat, the blanket, and the card, plus a few pictures they took for me.
January 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Mom 2 Avery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mom 2 Avery Send a message via Yahoo to Mom 2 Avery
I have two blankets and hats. Avery's dad and I weren't together and I wanted to make sure he had what he may have wanted. (He never asked for anything so I kept them both.) I also got her footprints on a card and her id bracelet.

The thing that keeps haunting me is that I didn't take the time to really look at her. They rushed me in for an emergency d&c and I didn't have much time....but I never looked at her arms or fingers or anything. I just cried and apologized. I really wish I had known how much more I would want...need...

But I did go back before the funeral people picked her up and spent some time with her in the morgue. I held her for about an hour and those are the bestest memories I've got!
January 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Super Mommy
They put Joey in a little white gown for pictures then gave it to us. It wasn't on him long so it only has a little blood.fluid on it which was good. They wrapped him in some receiving blankets. I never saw his hands or feet...because of his omphalocele I was afraid to open the blanket because people were always around and our parents didn't wnt to see it. Luckily the nurse took pics with his hands and feet in them so I can see them now. But my 1 regret is not feeling his little fingers around mine. I did see him in one of our outfits though because we gave the funeral home one of ds1's sleep sacs (3-6mo because he was 21") and ablanket that was bought for him, and a blankie I made for him...and we had an open casket for us so I was glad I got to see him in blue.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search