Taxes

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Super Mommy
This may be a stupid question. In the US...when filing taxes....there is a tax credit when you have a baby. Now, Joey was born at full term....we are still paying off medical bills from the pregnancy and birth and if we didn't have help from our parents we'd still be paying off his casket, cemetary plot and we are still saving for a stone because its not like there was life insurance to help defray the costs as there may be when an older child or adult dies. (I know you all know this and have experienced this).

Do you just ignore the birth when you file your taxes? I feel like because of the incredible expenses plus emotional hardship stillbirth parents are "entitled" to the credit....but would it be fraud to claim a stillbirth as adding a child to the family?
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I do believe they don't count it, but you should definitely see if there's something else you can claim it under. The child tax credit is for the expenses of living children. I agree with you though, we should get something, and maybe a professional would know if there is something you could get.

Good luck!

January 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM
noworries
I'm guessing the tax credit would only apply to a living child but I think it's definitely something to look into. Like you said, you have all these expenses.
January 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Super Mommy
I would've loved to have claimed Robert on ours, but my understanding is that to ba able to claim a child, they must have a social security number, and those are only issued to living babies. I am not positive on this though. Maybe someone else will know more.
January 12th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver11princess View Post
I would've loved to have claimed Robert on ours, but my understanding is that to ba able to claim a child, they must have a social security number, and those are only issued to living babies. I am not positive on this though. Maybe someone else will know more.
That's exactly it. Hopefully there something.

January 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM
noworries
So, I looked into it a little bit and it looks like there may be a few states that allow you to claim a stillborn child. You have to have a Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth. I'll keep looking into more and let you know what I find out.
January 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am going to go with the other women and say it is worth asking someone who knows the laws, but I think it is probably not possible to claim a stillborn baby.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 12th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
can you call and inquire with someone?

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
January 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could probably call someone that does taxes like H&R block they would probably know....I know when we do our taxes they always ask if we've had a baby in the last year...I don't think that you can claim a stillborn baby though, which I think is unfair....The parents still had a baby, and that baby did exist ...If your baby took just one breath you could claim them, but because our baby's didn't, they can't...I think it's awful.

January 12th, 2010, 09:43 AM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We asked last year and were told we could not. Unless the baby is born alive and a certificate of live birth and a social are issued you can not claim them.

Now, there is a foundation called the Unforgettables that donates money to families to help cover burial/cremation expenses. They helped us, but I'm not sure if they are a local company or not.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

January 12th, 2010, 10:28 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are credits for medical costs too, I know. I'm not sure about all the stuff you have to have for it, but if you have the receipts and such from paying any medical bills you can take those off taxes once they exceed a certain amount.

They won't let you claim a stillborn child, however, without a social and birth certificate.

Call a CPA and see what can be done!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
January 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am in tax, so I know a little bit.

Basically, you may be entitled to claim a child tax credit for a qualifying child if you claimed an exemption for this child. Here is from the IRS publication 17 :
" Stillborn child. You cannot claim an exemption for a stillborn child ".
Therefore, you can't claim a child tax credit. The state laws could be different though.
Funeral costs are not deductible. The portion of total medical costs in excess of 7.5 % of your Total Gross Income is deductible.
I know what you mean, these laws are really unfair as most of the tax laws.

Last edited by helen123; January 12th, 2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add'l info
January 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Super Mommy
I checked stuff out. It seems that Arizona considers stillbirth "live birth", or they did in 2006. Also a couple states that give a stillbirth credit, small...like under $200 but its something.

We actually haven't gotten a bill yet from the hospital thats actually on my list of things to do this week is call them to find out what the deal is. We will be givng birth again in this spring so I don't really want to have 2 hospital bills at once.

Thanks ladies!
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM
SimplyJenalee's Avatar Super Mommy
Last year on my state taxes for Michigan there is a stillborn credit...I think it was $160 or something like that...
January 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't want to be nosy, but do either you or your husband have life insurance that carries a rider for your children? A rider covers all of your children, and many will pay when they are stillborn. Often these policies come as a part of your worker benefit packages. We received life insurance payouts for both Declan and Eva. Like I said, I don't want to be nosy but we didn't think to make a claim (we assumed they wouldn't be covered), but the woman at my work that deals with our benefits etc. contacted our insurance company after we lost Declan and got the claim settled for us. Good luck.

January 12th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks. I don't teach in the same school system anymore and I actually don't remember what company they used. I probably wouldn't go back and do it now...at this point i work in admissions for a high school and people are starting to get tax info and fill out our financial aid stuff...hearing about taxes all day every day just made me think of this with having a baby this past year but wondering what the difference was if stillborn.
and

January 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Stillborn laws entangled in abortion debate

It looks like Arizona is one of the states that gives a one time tax credit for stillbirth. Your local tax preparer should know more.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Okay, that's so weird. Idaho isn't on that list. Was I hallucinating when I thought I could get a certificate of birth resulting in stillbirth?

edited to add: nope, I can get a certificate of stillbirth. So is that not the same thing, not good enough for the MISS foundation? Erin's birth certificate is specifically a certificate of live birth, so obviously Cora wouldn't get that because she wasn't born alive. But I can totally get a certificate of stillbirth, still. Maybe I'll do that for her birthday.

Last edited by Brittanie; January 13th, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
January 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I have a certificate of stillbirth, I can also get a certificate of birth resulting in stillbirth. The certificate of stillbirth is basically a death certificate, that is why they made the other one too.

Sail Back to Me
January 13th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
I have a certificate of stillbirth, I can also get a certificate of birth resulting in stillbirth. The certificate of stillbirth is basically a death certificate, that is why they made the other one too.
Honestly, to me, I don't see the difference between the two. Maybe it's the attitude I had which is part of the reason I didn't get one back when I lost her. I don't really need an official certificate to tell me she existed.

*shrugs*

I think it's great that it's pushing awareness and acceptance though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search