how common is it really?

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2010, 02:20 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
only this past week we've had a few new members and it breaks my heart, then it got me thinking that still birth seems to happening more now than ever i mean, i know i was niaeve (sp) with my pregnancies before jessica but id not heard a single thing about it and wondered how many families this has happened to! its like that most families have suffered a loss with in it?

jessica was the first late loss in my family (my nan had a couple of m/c) but jessica was the first stillbirth i know my family is quite big and lees is quite big too ( i dont know of any losses throu his family) but losing jessica has at least 2 families suffer her loss and if u look at it like that i can only assume that out of so many family its a high % that they have suffered a loss which is so frightening! its shoking that it still is quite common in this day and age

January 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know in the US the estimate is 1 in every 115 births, but they believe the number is probably even higher than that because many are not reported properly.

I really wish that there was more that could be done to prevent stillbirth.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 17th, 2010, 08:42 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I have been told there are roughly 30,000 stillbirths in the US every year, plus the births before 20 weeks that don't get counted. But nobody ever talks about it.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I admit that even though i've known people who have had stillbirths, I didn't know anything about it and I didn't think it happend as much as it does....I wish there was more stillbirth awareness out there...I think people are too scared to talk about it.

January 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
My grandmother lost a son during labor.

My mother had a loss at 21 weeks, her brother and his wife had a late second trimester loss, and my mom's sister had THREE 2nd trimester losses (she had an incompetent cervix, and she almost lost another one as well. He was born at 28 weeks? something like that)

I'm the first in my generation to have a late pregnancy loss, although my cousin Josh's son died from SIDS at 6 months in Sept. 2008

I'm thinking it's not happening more, we're just talking about it more...even though it's still not talked about it enough.

January 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
noworries
My grandma had a daughter that died at about 3 weeks old but other than that, there haven't been any late losses in my family besides Eli. There have been miscarriages though, quite a few of them. Stillbirth takes more babies each year than SIDS. And everyone knows about SIDS but no one knows about stillbirth, why is this?
January 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There were no stillbirths in my family, my mom and grandma has m/s and that's about it. There is definately a lot more info on SIDS and every parent knows about it. Unfortunately, there is nothing on stillbirths, and I'm like Carrie, keep wondering why.

January 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I really don't want to start a pro choice/pro life debate about it, but I think that since abortion is legal, people have to tell themselves it's "not really a baby" to ease their conscience.

I'm in a grumpy mood today, everyone ignore me.

January 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
I'm thinking it's not happening more, we're just talking about it more...even though it's still not talked about it enough.
Yeah, that. AFTER we lost Devin I started hearing stories from previous generations, that not even the other family knew about.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Super Mommy
I was the first one in my family. And I had never really heard of them besides reading about Brittanie's, but even then I didn't know how often they occur. I realize it is a hard thing for most happy pregnant people to have to deal with knowing 1% of all pregnancies end in stillbirth, but I think it should be known. It would take away some of the belief that you are 'safe' past 20 weeks. I for one thought after 20 weeks, nothing would happen. If only I had known.
January 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
my mom had miscarriages but I believe I had the first stillbirth

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
January 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
In Scotland one baby is stillborn every day. For a country with a smaller population than London, that is a shocking statistic.

In my family my dad's mum had a stillborn daughter (we don't know the reason why) and another daughter died at 6 weeks. My mum's cousin had a baby at 19 weeks gestation, that little boy had anencephaly just like Ceilidh.

Last edited by Jaidynsmum; January 19th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search