My sister has become quite the activist!

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm amazed at my sister lately. She's suddenly become such an activist for stillbirth awareness. Last night she asked for my help in putting together a post about kick counts to put in DDCs, so that women are aware of statistics and steps that they can take to possibly prevent stillbirth. Obviously, some things can't be prevented, but she really wants to get out word to pregnant women about things they CAN do because doctors won't talk about it,

I'm glad she's doing this. I think if it came from any of us, we'd just get brushed over as trying to stir things up or freaking out over nothing, but as she's never has a loss before, she's not "freaking out" (why is that?)

Anyway, I'm really touched. And I'm really proud of her. She's already got the okay from some hosts to post her thing. I'll have to go lurking.

January 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
noworries
I hope that post turns up in my DDC (August). Your sister is awesome.
January 21st, 2010, 09:46 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
She just posted in the May DDC - thank you Britt's sister!!!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Rebecca, actually your host was concerned that you'd be a bit sensitive about that. I told Adrienne to tell her you wouldn't care, and then you were the first responder! lol, made me laugh.

January 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Super Mommy
oo! there's 2 of us with stillbirths in June DDC + we just had a stillbirth at 20wks. Hope it gets posted there! Britt tell your sis I don't care! Post away!!!
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

January 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_n_JsMommy View Post
oo! there's 2 of us with stillbirths in June DDC + we just had a stillbirth at 20wks. Hope it gets posted there! Britt tell your sis I don't care! Post away!!!
I think she's waiting on the host's okay. I told her she's got all our support! Plus, I warned everyone here, so it's not like you'll open it and be surprised with what it has to say. She understands that we'd rather people learn to prevent it instead of nobody talking about it.

January 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's great that she's doing it. I don't know too many people who haven't exprienced stillbirth that would think of something like that. I'm going to check my Sept board because there is quite a number of people who had stillbirth.

January 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM
noworries
I just read her post on the July DDC. I never realized Adrienne was your sister. I think I know her from the NCB board. I'm hoping our hosts on our August DDC ok it.
January 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
It's not going over so well in the March board. She's being totally attacked. I'm done, if those women want to stick their heads in the sand, fine by me.

January 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM
lilflower
She posted in Aprils DDC (mine) and was well received (so far) tell her we said THANKS....
January 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
noworries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
It's not going over so well in the March board. She's being totally attacked. I'm done, if those women want to stick their heads in the sand, fine by me.
I just went over and posted in the thread in March where the host posted an apology to all the ladies in the DDC for allowing the stillbirth post to be posted. I just couldn't let it go, but I was nice about it.
January 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
noworries
I also let the co-hosts know that I would love it if they would allow her to post in my DDC.
January 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
I just went over and posted in the thread in March where the host posted an apology to all the ladies in the DDC for allowing the stillbirth post to be posted. I just couldn't let it go, but I was nice about it.
I'm not even going to look. I've spent most of my morning angry at that stupidity. Thanks for sticking up for her though.

January 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
noworries
Yep, I think it's pretty much over in that DDC now and it's been well received in the other DDC's that it has been posted in so that is a good thing.
January 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I wash my hands of them. Adrienne tried with every good intention, if they don't want it, whatever. I hope that they don't need it like they claimed they didn't.

January 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
.adi.
yes thanks for sticking up for me!
January 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM
noworries
Yeah, thank you for doing what you are doing.
One of the ladies in the DDC that is also in my PR wrote me a pm and said that some of the ladies thought the post was using scare tactics and didn't like the way it was presented.
So, I went and wrote that sorry if they were offended but don't let that stop them from taking in the important information that was in the post. Sure, it's not something any pregnant women wants to think about, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen and women should be informed.

I know there was also some offense taken because some people read it as "if you do kick counts, your baby won't be stillborn" and a friend of mine took offense to that for my sake. So, that was just taken the wrong way.
I told her that yes, kick counts could not have prevented what happened to Eli but that is not always the case.
January 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
noworries
There are several ladies who are saying they don't see anything wrong with the post and a few ladies who just refuse to read about anything that upsets them. Anyway, the point is that you educated some people today, if people don't want to listen, that's their choice.
January 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
.adi.
in hind sight, i should have written that, that it's not a fail safe, but it CAN help.
January 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Super Mommy
i just responded to that thread with a VERY long post. I posted my post in the private forum here
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search