placenta

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
hi im new here, lost my baby girl to stillbirth at 35 weeks and just got my placenta report done, aparantly i had a small placenta which may of been the cause. has anyone else had this? i had always thought it was placenta problems and sspected she had IUGR as she was so tiny. im terrified ofhappening again because how can you prevent your placenta being too small?it just wasnt enough to sustain my baby to full term.
February 4th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I don't really have answers for your question, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm really sorry for your loss. I wish you didn't have to join us here.

February 4th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm so sorry honey. I don't think it's something that you can prevent/predict (I could be wrong). I think it's just one of those fluke things. Which doesn't make it any easier.

I lost my Cora at 38w1d to a cord accident. She was born May 2, 2006, the day after we confirmed her death.

I'm so sorry that you have to join us here.

February 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure about the Placenta thing, but I wanted to say how sorry I am about your loss (((Hugs)))

February 4th, 2010, 08:18 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
im so sorry for your loss, i dont know about the placenta hun as my baby died of a cord accident, hugs (())

February 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It breaks my heart. I have no answers about why you may have had a small placenta as my little Lucy died of a congenital heart defect. I would highly reccomend calling your Dr and asking if he/she can explain reasons for this and likelihood of reoccurance. My Dr has been very helpful in that area and while nothing will ever bring your baby back I have found that for me answers bring me a great measure of peace. Does your little girl have a name?
February 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm SO sorry for your loss!

My firstborn, my daughter, who survived had a horrible placenta. It stopped working at some point and when she was born at 27 weeks the doctor said it looked like it was over 43 weeks old (i.e. it was deteriorating).

With Bryan Luke (my second born, my son who was stillborn), they said the placenta looked fine. No problems.

I don't think it is a "definite" thing that will or will not happen again. I know that they montiored and measured my placenta like crazy during Bryan Luke's pregnancy and they are doing the same this time again.

I agree to talk with your doctor!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
February 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Proud Momma
I am so sorry for your loss

I'm not too sure about the placenta thing either, but did your Dr's tell you that it's something that will definitely happen again?

I'm Stephanie and I lost my first born, my sweet Katrina, on August 9, 2008 at just before 23 weeks.

Many to you.
February 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you had to join us here. I lost my son Joey at 40w (he was born at 40w2d). Joey had an omphalocele and 2 vessel cord...it was presumed he died of a cord accident as he had a very tight nuchal cord. I spoke to one of my docs recently and found out the placenta report said there was an infarct on the placenta which is a dead area. That could also have contributed to Joey's death.

I was having growth scans every 4wks and they thought he was bigger than he was...he was 21 inches long but only 5lbs at full term.

The only thing I can say is that next time you must be monitored during your 3rd trimester for growth and if there is ANY discrepency in the baby's size get him or her out as soon as possibly safe. I feel like there were signs in my pregnancy that my doctors ignored the last 5wks that I knew I had a bad feeling about but I ignored it and trusted my docs.

Just trust your instincts and don't think that just because they are doctors they know everything.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. I do not know the chances of that happening again.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM
liz bevan's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to liz bevan Send a message via MSN to liz bevan
I am so sorry for your loss.
We loss at son during labour and the doctor told me that there was a problem with the placenta. Your best bet is to speak with your doctor.

Thank you so much for the awesome siggie Claire
Our joys will be greater
Our love will be deeper
Our lives will be fuller
Because we shared your moment
February 5th, 2010, 08:30 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I am so sorry for your loss. Generally speaking placenta problems, like cord problems, are completely random and don't usually reoccur in subsequent pregnancies.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

February 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Super Mommy
Rebecca...actually cord problems can and do reoccur. Check out the Pregnancy Institute research....A cord accident, even a cord issue not causing death or any problems indicates a 5-10% higher chance of it happening again. So far both of my kids have been born with nuchal cords...but one was too tight and the other was not. Not that every issue with the cord causes problems, but the risk is there.
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
and
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

February 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Sorry, I had heard different when we thought something was wrong with Ethan's cord and placenta (though he did have cord problems, we later found a cause for them).

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

February 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_n_JsMommy View Post
Rebecca...actually cord problems can and do reoccur. Check out the Pregnancy Institute research....A cord accident, even a cord issue not causing death or any problems indicates a 5-10% higher chance of it happening again. So far both of my kids have been born with nuchal cords...but one was too tight and the other was not. Not that every issue with the cord causes problems, but the risk is there.
I've read that up to 25% of babies are born wrapped various ways in their cords. In my family, of the 7 of us, 4 had cord issues. Jake and Adrienne were fine, Nyssa was born blue/purple and it took 15 minutes to revive her, and Zac was an emergency csection because his cord was prolapsing (well, sort of. They didn't know WHY his heart rate was decelerating so much w/every contraction, and even probing couldn't find anything. But when they pulled him out, they said that Zac's cord was perfectly coiled around my mom's cervix, and he was coming down on top of the coil). Even with my cousins, a good half of us were born wrapped up in their cords....on my mom's side. Not on my dad's.

Thankfully for me, neither Erin nor Patrick were. I think I would have died of anxiety if they had been (because I made my u/s technicians LOOK and make sure, and they complained but did it anyway. Every bpp I had, half of it was spent making sure they weren't wrapped in their cords)

February 5th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm sorry you've found yourself part of this club. Many hugs, mama. (((hugs)))

We lost our Duncan at 35 weeks as well. He had severe heart and pulmonary defects associated with Down Syndrome. His case was considered severe or "worst case scenario."

Re: your daughter's placenta, I think you're talking about placental insufficiency.

February 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for your loss. My Devin was born still at 36 weeks. He was smaller than they would have expected and so was his placenta. But they discovered what caused his death; his cord was tightly contricted from a band of tissue. So, while they are monitoring me this time to make sure the baby is growing appropriately, they are pretty certain that his size and his placenta's size were due to the cord problem - the midwife said that in most cases the baby's size and placenta's size have a very strong correlation and it's kind of a chicken-or-egg situation.... did the placenta have a problem that caused the baby not to grow very well? Or was the baby not growing very well from something, which is why the placenta didn't grow bigger?

It's not something that I worry overmuch about this time around, it's doubtful it's a recurring problem, but at the same time I'm glad they're monitoring it too.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search