Urn for such a small baby?

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
SoonToBe3's Avatar Making room for #3!
What are my urn options for such a small baby? (3.93 inches crown to rump) Do I need a full size infant urn or would a keepsake urn work fine? The website Ive been looking at, they say they are 2" across, 3" in height and capacity is 3 cubic inches. I would assume Alivias ashes could fit in there nicely, but Im not positive. I would like to get an urn as soon as possible, have a nice safe place for her when she arrives home.

February 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
it sounds to me like that would work
mine was small as well and Rebecca was 27 weeks
((HUGS))

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
February 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm going to look for my measuring tape tomorrow, but I don't think Cora's urn is much bigger than that, and she was 38w (6lbs10oz, 19.5"). It's surprising how small a volume you actually end up with when all is said and done.

February 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Proud Momma
We actually got a lot more than we expected!? I actually started worrying after why there seemed to be so much - as I thought we got someone else or they mixed her in with someone. That just horrifies me to think about that. Katrina was 22 1/2 weeks, so I really didn't think it would be that much and they even told us it wouldn't be that much.

But then my mom was the one who pointed it out to me (and it made sense) that she was cremated inside the casket (which was strangely large, but the smallest they have) and she was cremated with all the stuff we put in the casket with her - a few little keepsakes she would always have with her.

Good God, this is depressing me thinking about my little girl being cremated back them
February 10th, 2010, 02:42 AM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your uncle is cremating her, right? Ask him to only cremate her in a standard box...and that should do the trick.

I'm glad you got to claim her. I detest it when hospitals assume our children are 'tissue'.
February 10th, 2010, 09:53 AM
noworries
It's sounds like that is about the size that Eli's urn is and he was 11 3/4 inches so I think that will work fine.
February 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We still don't have an urn for Colm. He is in teh box from the crematory, it is veyr sturdy and we have to keep it for air travel.

His cremains are in teh larger memory box we have. We made our own coffin so that it wasn't too big for his itty bitty body.

It looked like this:

His memory box, where we put his cremains, is the same style box, but I haven't painted it yet.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
A keepsake Urn would work just fine. We got keepsake size for the girls and there is plenty of room in them.

February 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks ladies. I order Alivia a teardrop urn this evening with engraving. I ordered 2 day shipping thinking it would be here Friday, but it wont be here until Monday most likely. Its not the most costly urn, but I think its very nice and it suits the way I feel, the way I remember her. They ask for name for the first line, and date or birth and death for the second line. I chose to write "Born Sleeping February 5, 2010" as the second line. I think it will be nice for her.

February 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
kind of late on this post sorry...I had a hard time finding an urn for Ella...The one I got her isn't super tiny, but it's not huge (It was for baby's and children, I assume small children)...Ella only weighed 8oz and was 8 1/2 inches long....I opened her Urn and her ashes are in a bag, but it's actually more ashes than I thought there would be (do they cremate them in something?), I didn't give them anything to put her in...Here is a picture of her urn...I wanted something traditional looking.

February 11th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Thats very pretty, thank you for sharing. You have a very beautiful memory spot for Ella, such a beautiful little girl too. I have been hearing that some do cremate them in a box. I have my uncle taking care of it and have requested her not to be cremated in anything. Alivia was only 2.41oz. Still so small. 3 cubic inches should fit her in. Im remembering 2006 when my grandparents both passed away. The both fit into a box about a foot by 3/4 of a foot and wasnt very tall either. They were 5'4" and 5'9", and something like 165lbs and 200lbs. Regardless, this site has a 101 day garuntee, if I need to, I'll exchange it for a bigger urn.

February 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
((HUGS)))
not easy to pick out an urn
but I am glad your uncle is helping you!

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
February 12th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Just want to share my pictures too.

Her shelf

closeup

It's 3 inches tall, 2 1/2 inches wide, and 8 1/2 inches around the widest part.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search