My OB Appt Yesterday- Loss Mentioned (X-posted)

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies!
So I had a follow-up appt with my OB yesterday because he had put me on Zoloft my last appt- I felt like I eeded something to help me get through October (my EDD) and the holidays. Good news is the Zoloft seems to be working and I actually am on half the dose now. I'm planning on taking it through the holidays and then hopefully stopping in early January. My OB said if I get pg while on it it's OK.
So we discussed a little bit more another pregnancy- this is the first time we could really discuss it because every other appt since having Matthew I've been too emotional and could barely speak. I love my OB but I'll admit walking into his office is hard- not only seeing pregnant women but just remembering being there and getting bad news about Matthew and then being told I needed to be induced and not to expect him to make it. Anyways, we discussed that all of mine and DH's genetic tests came back normal and that really there's no explanatation for what happened with Matthew. For those of you who don't know, the short version is that I apparently broke my water between 17 and 18 weeks without realizing it (I had bladder issues so sometimes urine leaks so I must have thought amniotic fluid was urine) and I was induced at 23 weeks due to an impending uterine infection. After multiple doctor's visits, we had known that no matter when Matthew was born, he would not survive due to undeveloped lungs due to the lack of amniotic fluid. Anyway, my OB mentioned that he discussed me with the perinatologist and they are debating whether to recommend a cerclage for me for my next pregnancy. I didn't show any signs of an incompetent cervix (it stayed apparently closed and long) but apparently it could have been the case anyways? However, apparently a risk of that procedure can be weakening the amniotic membrane. Basically, my OB said that I should research it and discuss it with DH and then we can discuss it more later with my OB- my next appt will probably be when I get a BFP.
I've been thinking about my appt since yesterday and it's stressing me out even though I'm not pg yet. Anyone have any thoughts? Any thoughts appreaciated! And any suggestions for where to research this? I just needed to vent ladies- thanks for reading!

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
November 24th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Proud Momma
I don't know anything about getting a cerclage, but I know a few of the ladies on here have needed one because of IC and they've gone on to have successful pregnancies.

I was put on Zoloft many months after losing Katrina and it helped relax me soooo much. I'm glad to hear it's helping you too! I got my BFP with Rachel while I was on it (I honestly think because I wasn't as stressed).

Hope you get your BFP soon!!
November 27th, 2010, 12:12 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard that Vitamin C after 20 weeks helps to prevent PROM.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 27th, 2010, 04:15 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would also discuss if it would be possible to go in every week or two (starting about 20 weeks) and get a fern test. It is a very simple test where they take some of the fluid you are leaking and look at it under a microscope and it can tell if you are leaking amniotic fluid or not. Since you know you have bladder issues, this could help put your mind at ease. If you are leaking amniotic fluid there are MANY things that can help baby live and thrive. Thankfully AF is replaced constantly and if it is known that it is leaking lots of things can be done.

Good luck! Praying for a BFP and a healthy pregnancy for you!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
November 27th, 2010, 05:07 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you ladies.
I had the fern test done when they discovered there was a low amount of fluid and it was negative, but before 20-22 weeks it can be falsely negative. Yes, fluid replaces itself, but if there's already a break in the seal of the sac, then it's almost impossible to keep the fluid in. They do try bed rest (and I did it for several weeks) but really that's usually only successful when you're further along and everything is already pretty much developed. This is different than the lungs being premature- Matthew's lungs would never have been able to exchange air no matter when he was born. The alveoli never developed properly- amniotic fluid is required for this. If my fluid had been low several weeks later, after 22 basically, then Matthew probably would have made it. There never was enough built up for Matthew to "breathe in" and swallow so his lungs and GI tract didn't develop.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search