ChristyRVT / Hospital Bills

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Lolly13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,

I have lurked here for a couple of years ever since a close friend of mine lost her son on my daughter's birthday. You are such a strong and inspiring bunch who I sincerely wish had no reason to be on this board. Each of you and your sweet angels are often in my prayers... I am so sorry for your losses and pain.

ChristyRVT's last post struck me when she mentioned the hospital bills from Mary's birth... I wanted to mention to her that my DH is in the medical business and often a doctor and/or hospital will waive the amount over what insurance pays when it involves a stillbirth. In addition to the pain of losing a child, the added insult of financial burdens is reprehensible. I would encourage you to make a call to your billing department and explain the situation (as billing personnel would not automatically know about the stillbirth). Odds are that they will make an adjustment of some kind.

The decision about when to TTC after a loss is difficult enough without the issue of finances depleted after a loss. I hope this post at least eases some of that burden. God bless and good luck....

Thank you to Natasha for my incredible siggie!

April 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
noworries
Thanks for your input.
I know that my hospital worked with us and actually waived a lot of fees since Eli was stillborn. The fee for the autopsy was waived, the place where he was cremated waived their fee too.
April 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just got my hospital bill for Carter's birth, it was twice as much as my live births. I couldn't believe it.

DD Brooklynn 8-4-01
DD Libby 6-18-04
DS Gavin 8-20-08
DS Carter born still 3-2-11 (20 weeks)
It's a GIRL!!! EDD 3-6-12

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 7th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Super Mommy
Wow oregongirl that's horrible! We haven't actually received any bills yet so I have no idea what to expect. The pathologist who did Mary's autopsy came and talked to us personally when we were trying to decide how extensive we wanted her testing to be. He told us that if he just did a quick autopsy to look for anything obvious he wouldn't charge us.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
April 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Mom 2 Avery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mom 2 Avery Send a message via Yahoo to Mom 2 Avery
I have to say that my hospital went over and above what they were required!

I lost my job in July, my insurance ended on August 28, 2005. Avery was born on September 5. When the finance office called to set up a payment plan, I didn't know what to do. I owed over $10,000 and didn't have a dime...or a job!

They decided to pay three months of my Cobra insurance (about $1500). Then, my insurance covered the remainder of the costs and I was not out a dime!!!

I pray that things work out and you are able to find some peace in these trying times!
April 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Luckily, I worked at the hospital where Mia was born, so all of my bills were written off. Some hospitals though have a financial assistance program that you can talk to and a lot of times they will do as much as possible to help you. I am sorry that you have to go through your loss and also have a financial burden also. I am not really sure what I would have done. I hope everyone is doing as well as they can be and just know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search