Kick counts (possible trigger)

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before your stillborn baby, did you do them? Did your doctor tell you about them? Did you understand why you would want to? Do you think that doing them could have made a difference in the outcome of your pregnancy?

If you were pregnant now would you do them?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Nope, I'd never heard of kick counting before Cora died. I do think that it might have changed the outcome if I had been. I have done them with each of my subsequent pregnancies

December 7th, 2011, 11:14 PM
liz bevan's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to liz bevan Send a message via MSN to liz bevan
I had never heard the kick counts until after our loss.
Once we get pregnant I will be keeping track.

The counting wouldn't have helped with malachi's death as he died during labour

Thank you so much for the awesome siggie Claire
Our joys will be greater
Our love will be deeper
Our lives will be fuller
Because we shared your moment
December 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
noworries
When I was pregnant with Eva my doctor did not tell me about kick counts. With Eli, I wasn't far enough along to warrant kick counts from a medical perspective but I knew his rhythm and when he didn't move during the time that I normally felt him move, I knew something was wrong. But, he would have died no matter what. With Isaac, my doctor did talk to me about kick counts.
December 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
momma S's Avatar Super Mommy
I knew about kick counts with my first pregnancy and did do them. With the twins I went into the hospital at 20w4d so it wouldn't have made a difference with them. I also thought if I had carried the twins to term that would have been A LOT of kicks to count They had just been getting really good at kicking me when I was in the hospital. I still remember my Isaiah kicking me after Lucy passed and it took my breath away... I will remember those kicks for the rest of my life. I believe counting kicks is something all pregnant women should do.
December 9th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't know about kick counts until after Eva died, then I was told it was too early to start with Declan, and I was doing kick counts with Chloe, but in my case it was deceptive. I knew something was wrong because her kick didn't feel as 'hard'. The doctor told me that it was the number, not the strength that was important, then I went for my bi-weekly ultrasound and found there was not amniotic fluid, hence the 'soft' kicks. I think kick counts are important but they can give a false sense of security.

December 9th, 2011, 01:09 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
See I was told that paying attention their patterns were important and if there were chnages, whether in strength or number or timing that you should get checked out. So in Chloe's case I would have been concerned and been checked.

I think a big part of the problem is the inconsistency in how doctors tell women to do the counts.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 10th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
I never knew about kick counts, had I known it wouldn't have made any difference as Ceilidh had anencephaly and would not have survived no matter what anyone did or didn't do.
December 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
See I was told that paying attention their patterns were important and if there were chnages, whether in strength or number or timing that you should get checked out. So in Chloe's case I would have been concerned and been checked.

I think a big part of the problem is the inconsistency in how doctors tell women to do the counts.
Yeah, I was told this same thing. I'm glad that everything turned out anyway Laurie!

December 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do them and wasn't told about them when pregnant with Devin. I had noticed something was "off" but had nothing more to go on and figured since he was kicking it was all fine. I try not to think about it, but there's a possibility had I gone in when something was "off" and his movement was all weird... (first he was really quiet for a day or two, then he was super hyperactive for a day, then nothing after that).

I did them with Kate and will again. And my midwives even talked to me about doing kick counts when I was pregnant with Kate (though I already knew).

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 13th, 2011, 04:26 PM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was told about them and did them but not consistantly........

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
January 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I was told about them, but with Finley it wouldn't have saved her. In fact, I felt her the night before my appointment where I found out she had no heartbeat.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
January 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wasn't far enough along with Matthew to do them. I did them with Annalise for the most part- I basically just knew what her schedule was so I did go in once for decreased fetal movement but she was fine.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search