Genetic tests?

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Dh and I decided not to have the autopsy done. We just couldn't bring ourselves to do that although now I am kind of wishing we would have so that we could get more answers. Our doctor had said that half of the time in these cases they never get an answer though, so we just didn't want to go through that for nothing.

Anyways they did do some genetic tests from the placenta and cord and we still haven't heard anything back yet. We were also told that dh and I both need to get some b/w done but they wanted to wait until the hormones are out of my system. They did take my blood in the hospital too though, not sure what all they tested for then.

So for any of you that have been through this please shed some light on what they are looking for? What they found out from your genetic tests and what they are doing to treat anything?

I have such mixed feelings as far as this is concerned. I kind of want some answers for why my Abby had to die. I kind of want to know that it wasn't my fault if I didn't know I had something wrong with me. I also want to know if there is anything they can do to prevent this from happening again so that we can "move on" to ttc again without all of those fears. And then in a way I don't want any answers because then we can have hopes of having a perfectly healthy baby at the end of another 9 months. I hope this makes sense?

I go see my ob/gyn on the 7th and I want to have all of my questions ready. I want to have some kind of knowledge of these things so that I don't feel like he is speaking spanish to me either. So any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

May 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Catherine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The genetic testing on you and your DH will tell you whether you have any genetic mutations that could lead to loss or other health complication (sort of a risk profile). For example, my friend and her husband both found out they are carriers of the cystic fibrosis gene...which put them at an increased risk for having a baby with CF. They did an amnio while she was pregnant and found that the baby was healthy...thankfully no CF. Typically, I think they test for the genes/mutations that lead to the trisomy disorders and inherited illnesses like CF.
May 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all so much. I will be seeing the dr. today so hopefully I will be able to find out more. I will be sure to let you all know what they find if they find anything at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search