Had my 6 week post-partum checkup..

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I had my check-up on Thursday. I was not expecting the Dr. to find any evidence of why Emilee passed. I did not have an autopsy done, but they did take blood from me and her. He said he tried to check her chomosome but they couldn't because the chromosome didn't grow. I don't understand. I guess when they take a sample from the baby, they have to grow the chromosomes in a petri dish or something? Well, he said that sometimes they just don't grow. So that's botched. And the bloodwork from her they sent off got lost. Ugh. ***. So, from what they did have to work with they found two things so far that stand out. 1. My iron-deficiency anemia was so bad that I almost had to have a blood transfusion while I was in the hospital. I had no idea about this! So I guess maybe since I had so little iron in my body, she got deprived of it too possibly? and 2. They think I have a hypothyroid. But I had my thyroid checked a few years ago and they said it was fine. Now he says he thinks that mine is underactive. He also ordered 3 more blood tests from me. I get the results from those next week sometime. And there are like 6 other blood tests they can run on me if I want, the only thing is insurance doesn't cover them and they can get very very expensive. But I think I will do them anyway. Has anyone ever heard of a thyroid or anemia problem causing stillbirth? I feel so much more like it is my fault now. My doctor told me I was anemic and put me on special iron pills and I didn't take them everyday like I was supposed to. I kept forgetting. If I would have taken them like I should have Emilee might be here today!! I am really upset over this!!

May 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Don't feel guilty honey. I know it's hard!

As for the thyroid thing: Having it checked a few years ago doesn't mean that it hasn't changed since then. Thyroid problems are BIG deals during pregnancy. I was on thyroid meds a couple of years ago, and even though my body has evened itself out (my Dr. is amazed), they still continuously check my levels because I could relapse.

I'm sorry about the iron thing. That definitely could have been a big factor (as your Dr. said). I'm sorry that you feel like it was your fault for not taking the pills though.

It wasn't your fault!!

May 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Super Moderator
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
Please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not feel quilty
do not play the What if game!!!

You did nothing wrong!!!

(((HUGS)))

My Kiddos
Chloe (14),
Benjamin (9)
Logan (6), Kaitlin (3)

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
May 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Prudence's Avatar Super Mommy
I just learned that myself has a thyroid condition. I almost thought maybe that is why I had lost mine, but still not sure.

While both thyroid conditions play an important roll in pregnancy I have read that hypo is a threat to the fetus. I went crazy trying to find the least bit reason to have. With hypo there is chance of miscarriage and birth defects non specific. I stopped my reading I wasn't up for it any more. I am not sure what the long term effects through pregnancy since the reading said miscarriage.

Also for accurate readings of thyroid you will have to be 6 months from your pregnancy, there will be evidence but I believe there is a 6 month clearance. And.. anything at anytime can trigger a thyroid problem, and sometimes you could have a problem and not know depending on what tests they run. I am not an expert but this are things I have gathered through my reading on thyroid.

I do not know much about anemia but it may have, I'm sure it is a risk.

This is not to be mean in anyway, but you can't blame yourself. Everytime I feel as though this is all my fault, or I remember the words of a person who made it feel like it was something I did. Remember all the woman who abuse there bodies een through their pregnancies and they still make it to term with a baby.
Don't blame yourself, don't ever blame yourself. For all they know, none of these things contributed.

Take care get rest.
May 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This just was not your fault. Not at all. These terrible things happen sometimes. I hope they find some more results with more bloodwork.
<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search