Sensitive question...

Forum: Stillbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
Hi all, I work in a hospital, and I have sort of a sensitive question to ask....

We recently had an incident where a mother lost her child stillborn at 37 weeks (a week ago to be exact). She was very upset to find out that she would not be receiving a death certificate (or a birth one). Our policy at the hospital is that if the baby takes one breath (even if it's just one), he is considered "live born" and receives a birth and death certificate. If the baby is already an angel before leaving the womb, he does not. This has become a very controversial issue (naturally) in my department (Medical Records) because a lot of the women down here feel that it is not right to act like the baby never existed. We would like to fight and petition to have the policy amended.

My question is: Did any of you ladies experience this? I would like to know if this is just at my job, or the same at other hospitals. I also would love any opinions regarding this matter.

I know this is a sensitive subject but I didn't know who to ask other than someone who might have had the same battle...thank you all for reading.

January 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recently read that you can petition many states to get a "Certificate of Birth resulting in Stillbirth." The hospital does not do it, but you can write your state department and get one. I don't think all states do this. It is worth looking into if you are interested though.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
January 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Veteran
I got a "Stillbirth Certificate"... I'm from Canada, though.
Everyone who has experienced a stillbirth deserves, at the very least, paperwork documenting their child's existence... I would've completely flipped out if I was denied one.
Many women, I'm sure, would appreciate the petition. I had no idea this was an issue, really... I can't even imagine.
January 16th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Jaidynsmum's Avatar Dreams do come true....
Send a message via MSN to Jaidynsmum
Stillbirth certificates are given in the UK
January 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I got a fake birth certificate from the hospital. You guys might think about doing that at your hospital. It is stamped and says her information. At the funeral home I was asked if I wanted a death certificate. I can get one at any time, although I have not yet tried to get one. I know she existed, I don't need paperwork to know that she was alive. Her kicks and punches said it all. I am in Indiana though. Dont know if that helped at all.

January 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
I know she existed, I don't need paperwork to know that she was alive. Her kicks and punches said it all.[/b]
I feel the same way. In Idaho, the hospitals don't give out the certificates, you have to order them from the state dept of records. I can get a certificate of stillbirth, if I pay $13 for it. I haven't ordered one yet. I just haven't gotten around to it. I would like to eventually though.

As a side note, I also had to order Erin's birth certificate from the state, and it also cost $13. I got a decorative certificate from the hospital for both my girls.

January 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
Thank you ladies for the responses....I'm guessing the reason people were upset was because the baby was full term and etc, etc. I will look into if not amending the policy, at least offering something...I think a lot of women here have a hard time because the hospital doesn't even make a record of it, no medical record, nothing. I didn't even know it was happening like that until the woman arrived requesting the actual record....and lo and behold, we didn't have one...not a slip of paper....it's such a heated debate now in our department. Thank you all again

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search