She's here! 12/5

March of the Penguins

Birth Stories

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redbirds

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March of the Penguins LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2013, 02:11 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Wow I guess I need to write out her birth story before I forget it myself!

My BP was high for a couple of weeks, but nothing too concerning. However, the weekend after Thanksgiving, I was feeling a bit off, with heavy headaches and swelling... so that weekend, I began to check my blood pressure, with my 39 week doc appointment coming up on Thursday. My bp was consistently in the mid/high 140's over mid/high 90's, so I charted them. I tested it 4x/day and it was NEVER average for me, even after naps or warm baths! Normal for me is low 100's over 70-ish.

I emailed my doctor on Wednesday with my readings, and she said to come in for the appointment on Thursday (5th), and if it's still high, she'll do a membrane sweep and send me on for induction!

So, my bp at the doc's was still high and thus, the birth story begins

Wednesday night, the night before the BIG DAY, DS and DD1 were up all night vomiting. Poor kiddos. SO, I was up with them. And of course, I catch what they had and vomited Thursday morning, and during labor too.

We got to the hospital around 10 and I was 3 cm and 70-80% effaced. They checked me in and started me at 2 units of pitocin, the lowest level possible. Contractions were minimal, if at all (I couldn't feel much at all and nothing was really registering) and at 12:30, my doc came and broke my waters. They also gave me some meds for my stomach, but it didn't settle at all.

After an hour, they upped my pit to 4 units and I began to feel those contractions starting about 1:20. At 3:00, I couldn't fathom managing the contractions ANY MORE! they were a minute apart and lasted about 45 seconds or so, but the pit made them SOOO painful compared to the pregnancies without it (DD1 and DD2). The anesthesiologist came, and at 3:20, I had my epidural up and running and I was SICK from it all, so, up came the water and icy pop I had eaten up to that point!

Well... right after the anesthesiologist came, they checked me again and said I was a "7 melting to a 9" and would be having this baby girl any minute! OH, if I only knew that, I may have tried to finish without the epidural, but... who knew?

So, they called my doc knowing how fast I tended to labor and she got there with just a couple minutes to spare. At 3:46, with 1.5 pushes baby girl was born! 7# 6 oz, 20 inches long. She had copper colored hair, and since we hadn't settled on her name, the nurses in the nursery and recovery called her Penny <3 So, a 2 hour and 26 min labor, and only 26 min of that with the epidural. Not bad!

We finally had settled on her name, though, just a couple hours before discharge (about 2 days post-birth). I had always said if her hair looked red, well, red like mine, her name would be Kemper. I asked every person to come into that room (techs, nurses, birth certificate people, hospital discharge folks...) what color her hair looked, and 90% of the time, they said she had my "strawberry blonde/red" hair color. And so, she chose her own name! Kemper Elizabeth. Together, the name means Champion (or Noble One) consecrated to God. Sweet baby girl.
bundle2baby likes this.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
March 2nd, 2014, 03:31 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
Such a great story! Love it
December 3rd 2014 !! Baby #2 due August 2015!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search