Runners...

Shrinking Violets

A place to talk about our fitness trials and triumphs.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Shrinking Violets LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2013, 08:31 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I know we have a few runners in the PR... How's it going?

I've been getting only about 15 miles per week, but I only run 3 days, so that's about as much as I ever do really. I am running a local 10k next weekend. It's one I've done before (this would be the third time) so I will be interested to compare my time. My training runs have been faster than they were this time last year, so that is very encouraging. It's kind of a bummer that this is the first and only race I'm likely to do this year. I think there is a trail 5k coming up in October, but I don't do much (ok, any) trail running so not sure if I will enter or not.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 26th, 2013, 04:06 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I am slacking! I've done a few weeks of walking 3 miles, twice a week. I haven't yet attempted to get back to running. I think tomorrow will be the day I do some alternating between running and walking. I think I need a race to motivate me.
August 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am at 20 miles per week and running 4 days. I am going to add a short, easy 5th day after labor day.

I am signed up for a half in Nov, new Years Eve I am pacing a friend in a full. I want to find a late Sept or Oct 5k or 10k
September 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
My 10k yesterday went pretty well, even though I was slow.

That trail 5k I mentioned in October? I'm thinking I might end up doing the half. It would be my first 13.1 so I'm on the fence about it. I'm going to up my mileage and add some trail running in the next couple of weeks before deciding for sure to do it.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 5th, 2013, 08:47 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I was going to do a half in November with my friend that I run with, but she has to have surgery so that's a no. There's a local half in March that I've run before that I might do instead
jhmomofmany likes this.
September 7th, 2013, 08:39 AM
JennifEr -that is great. I haven't done a race yet.
September 7th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I have an 8-mile run planned for tomorrow. I'm excited.
zkat likes this.

September 9th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I did 9 this weekend. 9 is a huge milestone for me because White Rock Lake (local running venue) is 9 miles around and it is kind of a local marker to do a "lake loop". It takes me back to my first lake loop back in 2007.
jhmomofmany likes this.
September 9th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I'm going to try 9 miles next weekend- that will be the farthest I have ever run to date.

So, question... When you aren't training for a race, how do you decide what mileage and what type of runs to do?

There are tons of training plans for various race distances and levels of experience, but not much guidance on what to do through the "off" season.

September 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I don't race a lot, but I try to space them out so that I have spring races and fall races. Through the late spring/early summer I try to maintain my mileage close to half marathon peak so 4-5 miles 3x during the week + long run of 9 - 12 and a recovery of 3-4.

As far as training plans, a lot will depend on your goal. If you just want to finish, then a basic plan that builds miles each with with a recovery week every 2-3 is ideal. If you want to increase speed or go for a specific goal time, I get into more complex plans. I actually adapt a couple of different plans to suite my needs/schedule.

Right now: Mon - off, Tues. Tempo run 5-6 miles, Wed. easy 5 mile, Thurs. off, Friday Hill repeats (4 miles), Sat. Long run (9 miles) and Sunday soccer game.

The schedule is like this mainly because of the group I run with, so you can move the work outs around. Just try to follow Hard/easy/Hard easy pattern.
September 10th, 2013, 01:43 PM
That gives me some good ideas, thank you. We're so far north that this race in October will be my last and there isn't another one I'm likely to do until early June. Training for a race really helps keep me focused, and that's a long time to go without anything to plan for.

September 10th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I can see why you wouldn't do another race until June. I do not like the cold and really do not like running in temps below freezing - add in wind and snow and I would hibernate all winter!

You could pick an June/July race. That training would start Feb. or March, so just maintain your base through the holidays.
jhmomofmany likes this.
September 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Today was 5.5 miles of hills. I whined like a baby through basically the whole workout, lol. Some runs just aren't that inspiring.

Quote:
You could pick an June/July race. That training would start Feb. or March, so just maintain your base through the holidays.
That's very do-able. There is a nice 5-mile race in early June, then a 10-mile canal run in July. That would get me in good shape for a late summer/early fall Half.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search