So many posts about betas...

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I went for my blood work like over a week ago and even called the Dr to find out if they would be telling me any info from it. Nope, only if there is an issue.

I am curious why there are so many posts about these beta numbers? Are you guys all high risk pregnancies?

September 8th, 2013, 09:15 AM
ToMuchElmo's Avatar Veteran
I think if you have had a previous m/c or request it to calm your fears your Dr. can run it for you. I had a series of betas taken with the pregnancy after my m/c, but I was also really nervous.

This time around I won't know what's going on until next week when I get a dating u/s.
September 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They are used for a lot of different reasons..piece of mind, standard practice to run 2 to see if the pregnancy is progressing normally, high risk ect.

I think its pretty common for most OB's in the states to run at least one set of beta numbers.

I had 5 betas with my son. 1 with my daughter and 2 with this pregnancy.

I only had 1 beta with my miscarriage..if I had had more than 1 we would of known a lot sooner than 12 weeks that the pregnancy wasnt viable.

Last edited by *CAMM*; September 8th, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
September 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
I will not have any betas done. My doctor really doesn't even do much until we're out of the first trimester, but I am not high-risk either. At 8/9 weeks you go in for blood work, ob education, and a pap, then have an option to do a nuchal translucency scan (ultrasound) between 11-13 weeks. They won't check for the heartbeat until that 12/13 week scan either. No news is good news.

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
September 8th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only had betas done because my last pg ended in a m/c and I asked (cough - begged) for them. My OB doesn't normally do any early b/w.

September 8th, 2013, 10:06 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Thanks for this post, I was wondering why my doc didn't order them along with my other blood work.
September 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Super Mommy
I only had my done because my last pregnancy was ectopic so it puts me at a higher chance of a second one. I didn't have betas drawn with my first two pregnancies.

September 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always asked for them.. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage and I had to get my blood drawn like 11 times to make sure my levels went back to zero.. So with each of my other two pregnancies, I've kindly asked for them! Otherwise I don't think they'd do them!

September 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran
I always said I would never get them because I didnt see the point. All of my friends who have infertility get them done but to me I guess it just seems like spending money when I didnt have to.

My Dr office doesn't normally see patients until 8 weeks. They dont do betas normaly I didnt request them but when I had mentioned my blocked tube and that I am at an increased risk for ectopic they ordered them. I was only requesting to be seen earlier than 8 weeks because I know by that time it can cause problems if the baby is in the tube.
So this Dr wanted betas drawn until my number were high enough and next week sometime I go on for a U/S I think he only wanted the betas to be able to tell if I was far enough along to see something when I get the u/s
September 8th, 2013, 11:15 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the other ladies.

I've never had it before. I had blood drawn with my miscarriage, but was never told any numbers. I don't think I'll be having any done this time around either.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never had betas drawn that I know of (may be routine in initial bloodwork and I've just never seen them because they were fine?) because I'm low risk and have never had a miscarriage. If I was in either of those categories I'd definitely want them drawn but otherwise don't see the point. I won't even see my midwife until 10 weeks when she'll be able to check for the heartbeat with the Doppler. I will only be having the 20 week ultrasound so there's really no point going earlier IMO but I cannot wait to be 10 weeks along and hear my little bean- it doesn't feel real until then!!
September 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Super Mommy
My ob wanted 2 betas before making my first appt. I don't know if that's her standard practice or because I'm high risk. I'm getting a 3rd beta this week by my request to calm my fears.

Lucas Xavier is here! Born 4/24/2014 at 10:47pm
7 pounds 6 ounces
20.5 inches long

September 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sucks if blood tests cost money for you guys. I don't know if it's pretty standard over here or if it's because I am going private rather than public. I get my scans for free and get a dating ultrasound at 7 weeks and a neuchal translucency one around 13 and don't have to pay but a friend of mine is about 6 weeks ahead and is going public. I don't think she knows her numbers and is only getting the 13 week one and has to pay for it.

September 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I never had them done with my first 2, there was no need for it and my doctors didn't perform them unless something was wrong or you were high risk. I had them done this time because I started bleeding, but now I have to wait until my U/S on friday.

September 8th, 2013, 03:23 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine cost money to have them drawn but I think it is less than 10 bucks after insurance...I dont ever remember it being a large sum of money. I dont mind paying it.

September 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only begged to have them done because we experienced a loss in June. Although I feel good that my numbers doubled, our loss was at almost 10 weeks, so I am still super nervous...

Anyhow, normally I wouldnt have done the betas, but I needed some peace of mind, and even though it helped for the moment, now I am dreading the time between now and my next apt. I may call and see if I can get another done!

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
September 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah they do cost $ but not much. I know mine were less than $20 out of pocket.

September 8th, 2013, 06:14 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I have never had beta's run with any of my pregnancies. I am going this week to get the lab work done but I am sure all they will be doing is the test to see if I am preggo... not the beta test.

September 8th, 2013, 06:49 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor automacially orders some labs anyway, so it just gets added on to that, and it's all covered by insurance!

September 9th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
Im having them run because I had a m/c in June at 10 weeks. So its more for my peace of mind.

Brady('97)
Olivia('98)
Gavin('00)
Jaiden('03)
Gage('05)
Sloan('10)
Silas('11)
and 3 in my heart(3/13, 6/13 & 9/13)

Cautiously expecting our precious rainbow baby 02/18/15

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search